PDA

View Full Version : Hand luggage

imagine
15th October 2012, 15:18
Hand Luggage,

how strict is it for the size of hand luggage,

klm specs give 55L X 25W X 35H cm, total of 115 cm.

i have hand luggage size of, 58.5L X 30.5W X 25.5H cm, total of 114.5 cm,

does L X W X H have to be to their specification or any combination of L X W X H , as long as the total does not exceed 115 cm,

it may be a silly question, but i really do not know, but im assuming overall total is what matters?

or do i need to buy a new cabin hand luggage bag?

lastlid
15th October 2012, 15:23
I always take a large pilots bag. I am sorry as I don't know the dimensions but it aint small. I normally find it fits in the obligatory hand luggage test rack that you will see at the check in. But sometimes I have trouble in the cabin of smaller aircraft. No trouble on intercontinental aircraft.

If in doubt, whip it down to Dyce airport and ask. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I can't remember if there is a KLM desk there but I have flown KLM from Aberdeen on a good number of occasions. I seem to recall it is an Air France desk for KLM in Aberdeen. Haven't flown from there for a good 3 years.

RickyR
15th October 2012, 15:39
You should be fine, if you act like you travel regularly and know what your doing nobody will question it. For the long haul segment be at the front of the queue for boarding, then you'll not have to worry about finding space for the bag.

imagine
15th October 2012, 15:42
thanks lastlid:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
15th October 2012, 15:46
You should be fine, if you act like you travel regularly and know what your doing nobody will question it. For the long haul segment be at the front of the queue for boarding, then you'll not have to worry about finding space for the bag.

its a squashable holdall so should push under seat with no problems, also could use a different one i have, same specs but shorter in length 46 cm instead of 58.5

lastlid
15th October 2012, 15:48
its a squashable holdall so should push under seat with no problems, also could use a different one i have, same specs but shorter in length 46 cm instead of 58.5

Yes, but watch the chocolate that you said you would be taking. :biggrin:

imagine
15th October 2012, 15:49
Yes, but watch the chocolate that you said you would be taking. :biggrin:

chocolate squash :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Terpe
15th October 2012, 16:12
Hand Luggage,

how strict is it for the size of hand luggage,

klm specs give 55L X 25W X 35H cm, total of 115 cm.

i have hand luggage size of, 58.5L X 30.5W X 25.5H cm, total of 114.5 cm,

does L X W X H have to be to their specification or any combination of L X W X H , as long as the total does not exceed 115 cm,

it may be a silly question, but i really do not know, but im assuming overall total is what matters?

or do i need to buy a new cabin hand luggage bag?

Stewart, I think that bag will be OK.
It's always difficult to give advice on something like this when you bag is 'technically' out of spec. But it's so darn close that it's unlikely no-one will challenge you, unless it looks too heavy or 'pregnant'.

I haven't flown with KLM for ages but never had issues on that.
I took a flight with BA a couple of weeks ago. My bag was 'on-size' but they asked me to put in their cabin baggage frame gauge.
It wouldn't go get in but it was a little over-stuffed, but they still waved me on as it was so close.

Don't forget you can take an additional bag for say camera, briefcase or a laptop. Plenty of chocolate can get stuffed in those too. :icon_rolleyes:

Get your bag in the overhead rather than squashed under the seat. Just my 2 centavos worth

imagine
15th October 2012, 16:37
great thanks Terpe, end of the bag zips off as a small bag (could be camera bag) reducing 58.5 length to 46 cm, the bag on its side will easy fit cabin baggage frame gauge.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
15th October 2012, 19:38
some time ago i took the 2 kids on holiday to spain with easy jet and there we was in the queue and its our turn they say to my daughter will that case fit into that stupid metal fram thing you try to put your case into, anyway she tried to put it in and the wheels was just stopping it so my son push it so hard it went in but trying to get it out, would it move not a chance he was pulling at it while this bloke held the metal , what a laugh it was making, anyway out it poped and then he said to the chap shall i put mine in, no sir was the answer and he laughed too,i try to use a soft holdall from now so they can squeeze into any space

imagine
15th October 2012, 21:53
a soft squashable holdall :xxgrinning--00xx3: oh well better broken chocolate than melted:icon_lol:

lastlid
15th October 2012, 21:58
I carry on something that looks like this. Great for all those chocolate bars, my laptop and other gadgets and documents. A pair of shreddies and a toothbrush. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/12245348/Genuine_Leather_Pilot_Bag_Cabin_Crew/showimage.html

imagine
15th October 2012, 23:16
I carry on something that looks like this. Great for all those chocolate bars, my laptop and other gadgets and documents. A pair of shreddies and a toothbrush. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/12245348/Genuine_Leather_Pilot_Bag_Cabin_Crew/showimage.html

perfect for the job,looks hard wearing, but for me i prefer a holdall i can throw on my shoulder, to leave my hands free for anything else :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
16th October 2012, 04:01
There is a weight limit too to carry on bags, I think something like 7kilo, but the last time I went to phils I took a carry on which weighed more than my suit case. I could have been checked, but I was able to carry the bag so it never looked so heavy and got away with it.

stevewool
16th October 2012, 06:46
a soft squashable holdall :xxgrinning--00xx3: oh well better broken chocolate than melted:icon_lol:

buy your chocs at duty free so they are carry on so dont melt or get broken plus if you are a little hungry you can start to eat them:xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
16th October 2012, 07:27
There is a weight limit too to carry on bags, I think something like 7kilo, but the last time I went to phils I took a carry on which weighed more than my suit case. I could have been checked, but I was able to carry the bag so it never looked so heavy and got away with it.

When I flew to the Philippines to move there, I had two full size carry on rollerboards weighing around 40kg each full of books, paperwork and documents. In fact security did a full check of them because when they scanned they were unpenetrable (just appeared as a block), so opened them completely.

This was in addition to using my full allowance of checkin baggage (4 x 32kg bags), with KLM.

With a lot of my travel in recent years though, I've tended to travel so far as possible with just a handcarry bag. I check in online so avoid the checkin desks, then board as early as possible so that I can stow the bag. Thankfully never been stopped for weight.

RickyR
16th October 2012, 07:36
Another trick, if someone is dropping you at the airport, then leave the hand baggage with them whilst you check in your suitcases. Thus avoiding having them weighed and charged for at the checkin counter.
Once you reach the gate, most airlines won't check, those that do might let you get away with it, or they might force you to 'gate check it' but except for the low cost airlines, this doesn't cost you. Where it would have cost you at the check in desk.

lastlid
16th October 2012, 12:22

Yes. I have done that. Even though the handle is painfully digging into your hands, just keep acting as if it was empty and whistle on through. :biggrin:

imagine
16th October 2012, 12:48
not so good at whistling , i better get practising :icon_lol: