PDA

View Full Version : Cuba ends exit permits for foreign travel

Dedworth
16th October 2012, 11:06
Cuba has announced it is removing the need for its citizens to obtain exit permits before travelling abroad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19958577

Standby for a new wave of "asylum seekers" pitching up in the UK.

You read it here first :icon_rolleyes:

lastlid
16th October 2012, 11:52
Cuba has announced it is removing the need for its citizens to obtain exit permits before travelling abroad.

State media said the move, to come into effect on 14 January next year, would "update" migration laws to reflect current and future circumstances.

Cubans currently have to go through a lengthy and expensive process to obtain a permit and dissidents are often denied one, correspondents say.

They seemingly go to the states (Florida), from what my Cuban ex workmate told me. Once on US soil they are able to claim asylum, evidently.

bigmarco
16th October 2012, 11:58

State media said the move, to come into effect on 14 January next year, would "update" migration laws to reflect current and future circumstances.

Cubans currently have to go through a lengthy and expensive process to obtain a permit and dissidents are often denied one, correspondents say.

One thing is certain you wont get any health tourists. I believe their life expectancy is higher than the US.

lastlid
16th October 2012, 12:03
One thing is certain you wont get any health tourists. I believe their life expectancy is higher than the US.

Yes. I don't think junk food has reached their shores. Evidently they have been stuck in a time warp for a few decades.

lastlid
19th October 2012, 23:16
Am just watching the movie Scarface. :biggrin:

"Scarface is a 1983 American epic crime film directed by Brian De Palma, written by Oliver Stone, produced by Martin Bregman and starring Al Pacino as Tony Montana. A contemporary remake of the 1932 film of the same name, the film tells the story of a Cuban refugee who comes to Miami in 1980 with the Mariel Boatlift, and becomes a drug cartel kingpin during the cocaine boom of the 1980s. "

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Terpe
20th October 2012, 08:17
I remember taking a holiday in Cuba one time.
Great value for money and remember a great time too.

But yes, even back then a time-warp :icon_lol:

Removing the need for exit visa's appears to be a good move

Doc Alan
20th October 2012, 23:11
It’s true that life expectancy at birth is at least as good, if not better, in Cuba than the USA – both countries are around 78 years overall, 76 for males and 80 for females. This compares to 80, 78, and 82 in the UK ; 72, 69 and 75 in the Philippines.

Figures are approximate - they vary according to the source and in different areas of each country.

This is despite Cuba spending less than 12% of its GDP on health, compared to 18% in the USA, 8% in UK and around 3% in the Philippines.

Cuba has around 6 doctors / 1000 population ; the USA and UK each around 3/1000 and the Philippines 1/800.

Cuba may be stuck in a timewarp in certain aspects, but ever since the 1959 Revolution there has been emphasis on primary care and prevention as the basis of “ health for all “. This has lead to improvements in life expectancy and many health outcomes – despite low income and international isolation.

Cuba’s commitment to medicine has in fact served as a basis for “ health tourism in reverse “. International medical teams have provided disaster relief in the region and elsewhere in the world. In the past decade a community medicine programme has benefitted Venezuela in addition to Cuba, providing free healthcare to poor communities and teaching student doctors from both countries.