PDA

View Full Version : clarifying visa regulations.

bigmac
20th October 2012, 12:38
ive read through numerous threads--and the UKBA site, but some confusion remains.

if my lady can get a fiancee visa--to come here--marry me--and remain----she will want to work as soon as permitted. which means she has to get FLR before she is allowed to work---is this right?

but--the FLR is for 27 months--right?--then she would have to apply for ILR. but isnt the ILR required after 5 years?---so what happens when the FLR 27 months expires?--does she need to apply again?

Terpe
20th October 2012, 12:51
ive read through numerous threads--and the UKBA site, but some confusion remains.

if my lady can get a fiancee visa--to come here--marry me--and remain----she will want to work as soon as permitted. which means she has to get FLR before she is allowed to work---is this right?

but--the FLR is for 27 months--right?--then she would have to apply for ILR. but isnt the ILR required after 5 years?---so what happens when the FLR 27 months expires?--does she need to apply again?

Did you read the thread called All New Guide - How to apply for a Fiance Visa (link here) ?

Here's what it says:-

A successful Fiance(e) visa application will result in being granted permission to enter and to remain in the UK for a period not exceeding 6 months.
During this time you will be expected to actually get married, or register your civil partnership and to subsequently make application for Further Leave to Remain (FLR) here as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person.

Remember that until FLR is granted by UKBA, the fiance(e) is not allowed to work.
There is also no access allowed to any public funds until Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is granted.

After you have married or registered your civil partnership, you can apply for permission to remain here as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person.
This is known as Further Leave to Remain (FLR) and when granted allows you to remain for 30 months and is the starting point for your 60 month (5 year) journey towards settlement (ILR)
Shortly before the end of your initial 30 month FLR period, application can be made to stay for a further 30 months provided all requirements continue to be met.
After completion of 5 years in the UK, as the partner of someone who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, then application for settlement can be made. This is known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
Look here at The Settlement page (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/settlement) if you want more information about ILR.

More research needed :icon_rolleyes:

bigmac
20th October 2012, 13:00
thank you for that quick reply there Terpe--but i dont think ive seen elsewhere others saying they had to apply for FLR twice.

another point arises--if the immigrant is not allowed any access to public funds till ILR is granted--why does UKBA make visa applications so difficult?

Terpe
20th October 2012, 13:51
thank you for that quick reply there Terpe--but i dont think ive seen elsewhere others saying they had to apply for FLR twice.

That's all part of the latest rules for all new entry visa applications for settlement routes made after July 9th 2012.
A 5 year immigration journey before application for ILR.

This will be applicable in your case.

bigmac
20th October 2012, 15:01
i think i see where i misunderstood earlier:---

A successful visa application will result in being granted a UK visa for 33 months.
Shortly before the end of that period, application can be made to stay for a further 30 months provided all requirements continue to be met.

so that initial period of 33 months includes the first FLR?

so the full costs will be

visa application fee

FLR fee x 2

ILR fee

plus any others ive yet to discover.

am i right?

Terpe
20th October 2012, 15:08
i think i see where i misunderstood earlier:---

A successful visa application will result in being granted a UK visa for 33 months.
Shortly before the end of that period, application can be made to stay for a further 30 months provided all requirements continue to be met.

so that initial period of 33 months includes the first FLR?

so the full costs will be

visa application fee

FLR fee x 2

ILR fee

plus any others ive yet to discover.

am i right?

No that's not right either.

Now you've quoted the entry conditions for spouse visa.

Besides that, with a spouse visa which is valid for 33 months there will only be 1 application for FLR(M)before eligibility for ILR not 2 as you have incorrectly stated.

Initially you were asking about Fiance(e) visa, now you are talking about Spouse visa.

bigmac
20th October 2012, 15:27
but--am i right that the fiancee visa will require 2x FLR applications and fees?

Terpe
20th October 2012, 15:41
but--am i right that the fiancee visa will require 2x FLR applications and fees?

Yes.

bigmac
20th October 2012, 16:02
i'm just weighing up all the options. i'm one of those strange sorts that doesnt like throwing my money away.

Terpe
20th October 2012, 17:42
Don't forget at each of those FLR applications and the ILR application you'll need to meet the Financial Requirement. Although, if your wife is working at least both incomes can be combined.

bigmac
20th October 2012, 18:14
yes--the Financial Requirement punishment should be sortable----i just need to weigh up the best way forward--this --or the EEA way. but--either way the clock cant start ticking till next february.

meanwhile--hopefully a vistor visa might mean we can spend some time together while we wait. at my age every day counts.