PDA

View Full Version : VISA Card cloning warning in the Philippines

blackcat22
20th October 2012, 17:58
I just arrived back from manila in Philippines.

On the 5th day of my arrival, I made a purchase at Tri Noma SM in Quezon city( I only use the card in one shop as I don't like using my VISA card abroad in shops etc..)

The following day my Bank phoned me that copies of my card was detected being used to withdraw money from ATM in New York and Chicago in USA.

cut a long story short, My Bank insist they must perpernently block my Card to stop further abuse and will re-issue a new card and send to my home adress in UK with new PIN number etc..

This has happened to me before in phils also early this year in April with another Card.

So this appears to be epidemic now in phils. If you travel there with your VISA card only use it at ATM please don't use it to pay anything at retail stores.

Also if checking into hotel and they ask you to leave credit card details as security, decline and tell them you only have cash and put cash down as security instead. Most will accept 1,000PHP per every day of stay as security and you get your money back at checkout if you didn't break anything in your hotel.

I will advice that If you must use your card only use it to withdraw money at ATM ONLY.

Dedworth
20th October 2012, 21:05
A couple of years ago I believe mine was done in the awful Citadel Hotel Makati - just after we got back my bank told me it was being used for cash withdrawals in Montreal Canada

ConfusedMe
20th October 2012, 21:31
:yikes: Thanks for the advice. Sometimes we can't avoid using the card in purchasing something or booking hotels/tickets. But I'll avoid card purchases in the future :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st October 2012, 01:33
sound advice:xxgrinning--00xx3: