PDA

View Full Version : Nasi Goreng

lastlid
21st October 2012, 19:28
I was eating barbecued pork and rice this evening and decided to add a little peanut butter as I had eaten Nasi Goreng before, both in the UK and in Indonesia.

I was reading this recipe and noticed the claim that Indonesian food (and language) are both evidently closely connected to the Philippines.

Anybody know what the equivalent to Nasi Goreng is in the Philippines? My wife doesn't seem too familiar with this dish, if at all.

http://www.queensnotebook.com/2011/11/indonesian-javanese-style-chicken-nasi-goreng/

Also includes some Filipino recipes.

Terpe
21st October 2012, 20:36
Hmm, basically Nasi Goreng is fried rice with 'something else'.

I could well be way off here but I wonder if it's Sinangag:Erm:
That's basically fried rice but with garlic whereas Nasi Goreng always includes soy sauce.

When my wife cooks fried rice she will usually include soy sauce and spring onion. I'm wondering now if that's more Japanese style fried rice.

Anyway my guess is Sinangag

lastlid
21st October 2012, 20:37
I see. For me, the peanut sauce kind of makes it. And I seem to recall them sticking a fried egg on the top in the UK?

Terpe
21st October 2012, 20:42
I'm rather fond of fried rice. Especially with all the 'stuff' my wife throws in.

The secret of good fried rice is to be sure that the pre-cooked rice used for frying is very cold straight from the fridge. Prevents sticking and 'clumping' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
21st October 2012, 20:43
I'm rather fond of fried rice. Especially with all the 'stuff' my wife throws in.

The secret of good fried rice is to be sure that the pre-cooked rice used for frying is very cold straight from the fridge. Prevents sticking and 'clumping' :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Have you ever tried it with peanut butter sauce (satay)? I guess not everyone likes peanut butter....:icon_lol:

Terpe
21st October 2012, 20:58
No, I never have simply because I'm not at all fond of peanut butter.
My wife on the other hand does like it. There's always a jar in the cupboard.
Has to be the 'correct' one though. :doh

lastlid
21st October 2012, 21:02
No, I never have simply because I not at all fond of peanut butter.
My wife on the other hand does like it. There's always a jar in the cupboard.
Has to be the 'correct' one though. :doh

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
21st October 2012, 21:47
The way Keith likes his fried rice..with bacon, a bit of garlic, egg, spring onions, peas, and soy sauce..just mix it all while cooking it in a pan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st October 2012, 21:49
The way Keith likes his fried rice..with bacon, a bit of garlic, egg, spring onions, peas, and soy sauce..just mix it all while cooking it in a pan :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hmmmm luverly :hubbahubba: