PDA

View Full Version : 26 years of the red nosed git

Dedworth
6th November 2012, 17:12
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2009/5/13/1242248779045/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-at-Old--001.jpg

The Scot took over at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986 after leaving his post at Aberdeen.

The manager has enjoyed a stunning spell of success in his time at the United helm – winning 12 Premier League championships, five FA Cups, two Champions League trophies, four League Cups, 10 Community Shields, one Cup Winners’ Cup, one Uefa Super Cup and one Intercontinental Cup.

During his remarkable tenure at Old Trafford, Ferguson has been awarded both a CBE (in 1995) and a knighthood (in 1999) for services to football.

Ferguson has also hit the headlines for famous feuds with referees, as the fiery Scot has racked up a total of £75,000 in fines for comments made towards officials, and has been banned for a total of 15 games for the same offence.

As well as referees, Ferguson was involved in a long-running stand-off with the BBC, where he refused to speak publicly to anyone involved with the corporation.

His anger came from a television documentary, screened in 2004, which claimed his son (Jason Ferguson, a football agent) exploited his relationship with him to his own ends in the transfer market.

Although Ferguson Jr was cleared of any wrongdoing, the United boss boycotted the BBC for seven years – until FA rules introduced in the 2010-2011 season forced him to speak to the BBC.

On the day of his historic achievement, players and fans flooded Twitter and United messageboards to pay tribute to Sir Alex.

Rio Ferdinand, for one, tweeted: “The boss has been at Man Utd #26Years today. Colossal.”

And cricketer Michael Vaughan echoed Ferdinand’s sentiments, tweeting: “26 years ago today Sir Alex Ferguson arrived at Manchester United… Has to be the greatest ever manager… #Legend”

During Ferguson’s trophy-laden years at the helm, Inter Milan and Real Madrid have had 25 managers, Manchester City have had 18, Chelsea have had 17 and AC Milan have had 15.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/5712-ferguson-racks-up-26th-year-at-old-trafford.php#.UJk2d4Zhd9w

Those Irish racehorse owners have long memories I wouldn't be surprised if they came back to haunt him :biggrin:

lastlid
6th November 2012, 17:26
And add to that his success with Aberdeen FC in the eighties.

Arthur Little
6th November 2012, 17:35
:smile: Oh well ...:anerikke: ... even though most of the Manchester United squads since the mid-80s must've come to believe every match was like 'Christmas' after Fergie took over the reins ... their rivals can take some comfort from the fact that he ain't gonna be around for anything like as long as old Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer! :NoNo:

les_taxi
6th November 2012, 20:28
Greatest manager ever:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
6th November 2012, 20:37
Greatest manager ever:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I have to second that certainly the best British manager ever possibly the worlds best ever :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
6th November 2012, 22:15
Yes I agree the best British manager of all time. In my opinion Jose is a better manager winning league titles in 4 different countries and Champions Laegue with 2 different clubs ....so far.

stevie c
6th November 2012, 22:27
In all fairness big marco Alex has never managed abroad & has only managed two teams in his career I believe so it very hard to say who is the best in the world taking into account Jose has managed in Portugal Italy England & Spain with arguably all these being the best teams in their country so IMO it's a bit hard to call who is the best

les_taxi
6th November 2012, 22:33
In all fairness big marco Alex has never managed abroad & has only managed two teams in his career I believe so it very hard to say who is the best in the world taking into account Jose has managed in Portugal Italy England & Spain with arguably all these being the best teams in their country so IMO it's a bit hard to call who is the best

Lets adopt same criteria that determines best team-base it on trophies won at top level:biggrin:

bigmarco
6th November 2012, 23:01
Football it's a game of opinions. There's probably some Brazilians or Italians who think it one of theirs.

les_taxi
7th November 2012, 08:34
Jose Marinio games 585
Sir Alex Ferguson games 2,116
Think that puts it in perspective:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I think Jose is a great manager to be honest,the trouble is he rarely stays long at any club so I hope he never comes to Old trafford unless it's on a 10 year contract.
Liverpool should have grabbed him as there is no one better at 'quick fixes' than him