PDA

View Full Version : Manila at Christmas

mxr808
10th November 2012, 23:14
How mad is it going to be?

Will be my 3rd visit and have heard that Christmas can be absolutely manic in terms of traffic, crowds and christmas carols (which I despise) playing over the mall sound systems.

Any recommendations on things to do or events that are on? Will be alone on Christmas day so any suggestions to keep myself entertained for that as well?

stevewool
11th November 2012, 09:57
if its that bad why go at those times, try a differant month,if you have to go then jump on a plane for a few hours to borocay:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
11th November 2012, 10:22
I think graham might have some information for you. SINGLE, MANILA and ALONE on christmas day?:biggrin:

grahamw48
11th November 2012, 11:42
What you trying to say Andy ? :icon_lol:

First I'd be in church praying for a few more Xmas's:pray:...then on to the nearest disco bar. :hubbahubba::REDancedancer08:

andy222
11th November 2012, 11:59
Well thats one bit of information graham.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th November 2012, 12:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1ePjlcTKk&feature=relmfu

Xmas is fantastic in Manila, but just be wary of pick-pockets etc, as everyone needs more money then.

grahamw48
11th November 2012, 12:05

Will be my 3rd visit and have heard that Christmas can be absolutely manic in terms of traffic, crowds and christmas carols (which I despise) playing over the mall sound systems.

Any recommendations on things to do or events that are on? Will be alone on Christmas day so any suggestions to keep myself entertained for that as well?

Just noticed...you're 21.

If I was your age, anywhere in the Phils at any time of the year and I found myself without any (female) company...think I'd shoot myself. :laugher:

If you're old like me though, you may even be offered a job...:olddude:

Michael Parnham
11th November 2012, 12:20
You won't be alone for long!!

sars_notd_virus
11th November 2012, 12:42

Top 10 Christmas Attractions in the Philippines

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Top_10_Christmas_Attractions_in_the_Philippines

mxr808
11th November 2012, 13:10
Thanks for the replies. I'll obviously not be alone for the rest of the time there as will be spending it with a girl I'm very much interested in. However obviously she will be spending Christmas day with her family. Not sure spending it in disco bars will improve my chances with her.

Is christmas day similar to the UK with everyone staying at home with their families? Or do most people like to go out, walk around malls, go to events etc?

That list of attractions actually looks pretty decent. May hit up a few of them.

sars_notd_virus
11th November 2012, 13:34
Is christmas day similar to the UK with everyone staying at home with their families? Or do most people like to go out, walk around malls, go to events etc?
That list of attractions actually looks pretty decent. May hit up a few of them.

yes we do, My family just stay home with lots of foods and drinks on the table ...the videoke is on for the adults to sing and the eletronic gadgets for the kids to play:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We usually go to the events before or after Christmas day....Star City and Enchanted Kingdom is two of our best choices.

Jamesey
11th November 2012, 14:57
I'm pretty sure all the malls will be closed on Christmas Day. However, some of the big hotels may be your best bet if you're looking for some company and things to do.

Another idea could be a tour of the city. The most deserted I've ever seen the roads in Manila was at 6am on New Years Day. I'm sure Christmas Day would be similar. If you hired a car with a driver you could cover most of the city sights in a day.

mxr808
11th November 2012, 15:05
I'm pretty sure all the malls will be closed on Christmas Day. However, some of the big hotels may be your best bet if you're looking for some company and things to do.

Another idea could be a tour of the city. The most deserted I've ever seen the roads in Manila was at 6am on New Years Day. I'm sure Christmas Day would be similar. If you hired a car with a driver you could cover most of the city sights in a day.

Ah. I thought they would be closed but a local told me that they're all open on Christmas day which I thought unusual as wouldn't have thought business would be great. Would think it would cost a bomb to hire a driver on Christmas day although that does sound like a decent idea.

raynaputi
11th November 2012, 18:15
Malls and big establishments in the Philippines are usually open on Christmas day, even New Year..the only time that these malls close is during Holy Week.

lastlid
11th November 2012, 18:22
.....the only time that these malls close is during Holy Week.

Yes. I noticed that when I visited my wife then. MOA 100% shut.

joebloggs
11th November 2012, 19:00
first time i went to the Phils i landed 5pm on Xmas eve, it didn't seem like Xmas at all :NoNo: and the Malls were open on Xmas day :NoNo:

raynaputi
11th November 2012, 20:19
first time i went to the Phils i landed 5pm on Xmas eve, it didn't seem like Xmas at all :NoNo: and the Malls were open on Xmas day :NoNo:

Most Filipinos celebrate Christmas Eve by going to church and then eating together at 12 midnight (most would be cooking during the afternoon of 24th Dec. before going to church), and then some would have street parties after, depends on the neighbourhood though (our's does, drinks and exchange gifts/raffles too)...Christmas Day is usually celebrated by having a family day out that's why malls and establishments are open. Theme parks like Star City and Enchanted Kingdom are full of people that day. Parks like Luneta are also full of families who can't afford much. Tagaytay is also one of the busiest area and traffic is 100% sure. Also expect that cinemas would be full as there is a Filipino Movie Festival during Christmas and usually no English movies in the cinema when that happens.

grahamw48
11th November 2012, 22:06
I seem to have spent most of my Xmas days there sleeping off one large hangover and preparing for the next. :66:

If you have kids and family, Xmas there is just great though...like everywhere else. :xxgrinning--00xx3: