PDA

View Full Version : Overdrafts

sheldon1
19th November 2012, 09:18
I am been looking around other forums. I have noticed that some spouse visa's are been refused for been overdrawn. Even when the sponsor has earned over £18600. I just wondered what members views were on this? I thought we were safe to be overdrawn as long as we earned over the required threshold?

Sheldon

andy222
19th November 2012, 09:49
Best to be on the safe side sheldon and dont submit any overdrawn bank statements.

lastlid
19th November 2012, 11:26
I seem to recall Terpe saying that overdrawn isnt good under the old rules but irrelevant under the new rules. I am not 100% sure on that.

joebloggs
19th November 2012, 11:59
i think if you earn £18,600 it doesn't matter, under the old rules it probably would have added to your risks of refusal, but better to be safe than sorry until we hear from people who applied who were overdrawn and got their visa or who were refused for being overdrawn,(thou i cant see them just refusing you for that, probably just a secondary reason)

at the end of the day they dont want your wife to have recourse to public funds.

sheldon1
19th November 2012, 12:27
Yes Joe/Andy/Lastlid. We have had this discussion a few months back. I have an agreed overdraft with my bank which i have used on every single bank statement. But back in July i wrote to my MP about overdrafts and i got a reply from Damian Green's office who quite clearly stated and i quote "you will not get refused a visa just for using your overdraft" So i will include that in my wife's application.

They seem to be changing their minds too and fro! I wonder what Terpe's views are on this?

joebloggs
19th November 2012, 14:09
Damian Green's office who quite clearly stated and i quote "you will not get refused a visa just for using your overdraft"

i don't think they would just for that, as i said if there is a more major reason to refuse your app, then they might use this as a secondary reason.but i think you just need to show you get paid £18,600 in the new rules