PDA

View Full Version : Residency in Spain - free when you buy a house

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 11:07
Spain offers residency to anyone buying a home worth more than £130,000 in bid to save its housing market

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235318/Spain-offers-residency-buying-home-worth-130-000-bid-save-housing-market.html#ixzz2CkvfPVqf

Maybe we could ship some filth out there it cost's about £40k pa to keep them in jail, the Spaniards should be able to come up with a bulk purchase discount

RickyR
20th November 2012, 16:40
We have seriously considered buying a place in Spain, apparently for Filipinos you can get citizenship after 2 years of residence which = EU Passport and avoiding the entire UK visa citizenship process.

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 16:56
We have seriously considered buying a place in Spain, apparently for Filipinos you can get citizenship after 2 years of residence which = EU Passport and avoiding the entire UK visa citizenship process.

I wondered if it was a viable move for some Ricky

grahamw48
20th November 2012, 20:33
I'll wait for the spring sale. :smile:

...Then again, having seen all those expat Spanish property-buying nightmare documentaries. :Erm:

joebloggs
20th November 2012, 20:45
this has got to be open to abuse and scams :NoNo:

nnomad
21st November 2012, 00:29
this has got to be open to abuse and scams :NoNo:

well of course,,, what isnt ???????????

fred
21st November 2012, 07:54
Have their house prices reduced considerably enough yet?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Vivienda_n_jun2009.png/300px-Vivienda_n_jun2009.png
That chart says NO,it has much much further to plummet.
I`d say wait till it crashes back to 1999 prices or beyond.. Let them panic..They have been screwing us all for years!

Far better chart below IMO!:wink:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Stages_of_a_bubble.png/350px-Stages_of_a_bubble.png

No investment advice intended.. DYOR!!

Trefor
21st November 2012, 10:23
Agreed, wait a little longer. I think this offer is targetted at Chinese and Russians who don't really care about the price, they want the residency. Nice of Spain to let them in so they can then move to London...

I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago, I think the city is doing much better than the rest of the country as most businesses are based there. Madrid is mostly public sector employment (= game over). My boss has a very smart 1 bed apartment in the posh downtown area of Barcelona which he is selling (currently let on a short-term basis to execs/posh holiday makers). It is up for 105,000 Euros and he'll probably get that for it due to the local market. Personally I'd be looking to buy a villa along the coast from Barcelona, but not for another 2 years or so as the market has further to fall. I'd also be paranoid about the land laws over there, maybe buy something with no garden so a neighbour can't appropriate it :Brick:

joebloggs
21st November 2012, 11:54
the Chinese are going other places :biggrin:

B.C. suspends visa program after suspicious surge in applications

Between April and September of this year, the business immigration stream under the province’s nominee program had 383 applications, a 120-per-cent increase compared to the volume in the previous six months. Most of the applicants were from China.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-suspends-visa-program-after-suspicious-surge-in-applications/article5403007/

grahamw48
21st November 2012, 11:59
I see so much trouble ahead, now that certain countries have taken the guard of the back door.

Foolish short-sighted governments...short-term gain, long term problems. :NoNo:

johncar54
4th December 2012, 09:30
Ricky. apparently for Filipinos you can get citizenship after 2 years of residence which

Yes and no.

A Filipino can APPLY for Spanish nationality after two years, however, the process takes over three years. (we are now over 3.5 yrs into it and it looks like it may be refused).

However, my wife has been resident in Spain now for almost 7 years and has Permanent Status.

Of course she still needs a visa to go to UK or even shopping in Gibraltar !

Ako Si Jamie
7th December 2012, 00:20
Not worth the risk.