PDA

View Full Version : Low income can I claim housing benefits

patrickm1978
20th November 2012, 18:09
My wife rotsen is here on here uk spouse visa
As you will all know she has no recourse to public funds
I work full time about 35 hours per week my monthly pay after tax is about 1000 pounds my rent is 430 per month for our private let so we are finding it pretty hard to manage with our living costs and living in a rural part of north Ireland were prices are way more expensive in the mainland of the uk
At the moment is getting really cold so buying heating oil and coal and our food is taking up everything it's only the 20th today another week to pay day omg it's so hard
Please is there anybody here that call let my know what me the sponsor can claim my wife is 5 months pregnant right now I hate this struggle purely there must be some help for people in my position

tiger31
20th November 2012, 18:25
I hope all philippinas that are dreaming of a better life in the u.k are reading this story ,as patrick is pointing out its very expensive to live on just a single salary in the u.k .when baby comes along it gets a little bit better as you can claim family credit on her behalf ,but when baby comes along so does the living expenses .thats why so many brits are heading the opposite direction because of the cost of living .we are in an economic meltdown and its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better its not much fun trying to live in the u.k on benifits .Anyway young patrick i hope your situation improves for you both .

tiger31
20th November 2012, 18:27
try telling the family back in the philippines that you can,t survive on 66,000 pesos in the uk they will not believe you :biggrin:

patrickm1978
20th November 2012, 18:41
Thanks for responding but I am looking for information to see if I can claim housing benefit to help me pay some of the rent

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 18:48
This might be of help Patrick

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/benefits_ni/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ni/help_with_your_rent___housing_benefit_northern_ireland.htm#who_can_get_housing_benefit

patrickm1978
20th November 2012, 18:57
My situation is as follows
I am working full time approx 35 hours a week
I am renting and our rent is £430 per month
My salary is About £1000 after tax
So this leaves me £570 to support myself and my pregnant wife she has no recourse to public funds so as you can guess we are finding difficult to manage
I am only here looking for helpful information so could you answer my questions please
This being can I claim housing benefits if so how do I fill in the forms without effecting my wife's visa conditions also working tax credit and child tax credits can I the sponsor claim if so how
Thanks from Patrick and Rotsen

raynaputi
20th November 2012, 19:04
I just merged your threads patrick as it's the same. Have a read on the link posted by Dedworth :xxgrinning--00xx3:

patrickm1978
20th November 2012, 19:05
Thanks rayna I will do

Michael Parnham
20th November 2012, 19:22
You should be able to claim an extra £130 per month just for yourself without affecting the no recourse to public funds issue ref your wifes 'Visa' Go ahead and request the Housing benefit application forms, anything extra is better than nothing. You will find the local authority will assist you to fill in the forms, as I found my local authority very helpful. Good luck Patrick!

tiger31
20th November 2012, 19:27
that website is only of limited use as it does,nt give any details of income thresholds to work out if you qualify ,so you need to go to citizens advice and ask them if you qualify .

grahamw48
20th November 2012, 20:15
Also, ring your local council housing benefits section and ASK them . :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 20:38
Also, ring your local council housing benefits section and ASK them . :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you don't ask you don't get

bigmac
20th November 2012, 21:13
look on the bright side patrick--you must have got the spouse visa under the old rules---your income simply isnt enough under the new rules.

i know that is no help--but just saying how it is.