PDA

View Full Version : overpaid at work

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:17
what happens if you think you have been paid more then you think at work, you try to work it out with the hours you have done but cant make head or tails of it, but you are convinced you have been paid more

stevie c
27th November 2012, 21:19
Just keep schtum :biggrin:

London_Manila
27th November 2012, 21:19
Say nothing and tell them you never noticed it when/if they come looking for it :wink:

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:20
Don't spend it though (yet) as if it is wrong then your company are within their rights to ask for it back.

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:21
How much is it? :biggrin:

bigmac
27th November 2012, 21:23
post it to me--i will invest it on your behalf

bigmarco
27th November 2012, 21:30
Oh the dilemma especially with Christmas coming

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:31
its not mine, its ems and its a lot, i have told her not to use it at all just in case, just put it to one side,

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:32
Oh the dilemma especially with Christmas coming

thats right, the ipad has been mentioned and a new watch for me she will even pay for my new tooth too, funny how nothing has been mentioned about sending some back to phils :icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:33
its not mine, its ems and its a lot, i have told her not to use it at all just in case, just put it to one side,

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
27th November 2012, 21:38
Are you sure it is not a bonus or some profit share scheme that some employers give at the end of the year as I'm due b end of year bonus in my next pay packet

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:43
cant work out really what it is, the only thing is, she is paid monthly and the last pay slip she had no contractable hours but now she has and thats what is added to the wage slip BASIC PAY, then all the rest is added overtime, saturday bonus sunday bonus, addistional bonus and so on

stevie c
27th November 2012, 21:47
Strange hard one to work out but if Steve if they they don't come asking then just keep laughing :biggrin:

bigmac
27th November 2012, 21:47
grab the dough--and go!

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:49
A similar case.....someone was overpaid by £17000

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/04/royal-navy-members-overpaid-wages

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:50
Strange hard one to work out but if Steve if they they don't come asking then just keep laughing :biggrin:

well its a bonus and thats what it will be, just put it into another account and leave it there till she gets paid again

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:51
Another example......

Overpaid £13000

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/tax/consumer-rights-i-was-overpaid-13000-now-my-boss-wants-it-back-7553610.html

stevewool
27th November 2012, 21:54
cant get over how much tax and nat insurance is taken but the pension contribution from the nhs is very nice £304

lastlid
27th November 2012, 21:56
I am getting quite a nice xmas bonus, just found out today. 20% tax though. It will cover a trip to the Phils.

raynaputi
27th November 2012, 22:04
I had the same problem at work when I was in the Philippines. They deposited more than what I was expecting for bonus. But after a week or two, the accounting department sent me an email telling me that they calculated my bonus wrong and they would just deduct the excess in four paydays..hahahaha :icon_lol:

andy222
27th November 2012, 22:12
They will definately have it back if she works for the NHS. When they find out.

stevewool
27th November 2012, 22:19
They will definately have it back if she works for the NHS. When they find out.

be great if you could understand the wage slip they give you

Ako Si Jamie
27th November 2012, 22:20
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :biggrin:

sars_notd_virus
28th November 2012, 11:39
what happens if you think you have been paid more then you think at work, you try to work it out with the hours you have done but cant make head or tails of it, but you are convinced you have been paid more

I will inform the finance department , I dont like keeping money that is not mine.

nnomad
28th November 2012, 12:48
put it in a high interest account then if you do have to pay it back you can at least keep the interest gained !!!!!!!

andy222
28th November 2012, 13:12
be great if you could understand the wage slip they give you
You dont have to tell me steve.:doh. The ECO will have a headache when they check my payslips.:icon_lol:

fred
28th November 2012, 14:24
It depends Steve..... If I was overpaid by a small company and I liked the people and management there I would declare the over payment...(always)
If I was overpaid by a small company and I disliked the people and management and working conditions and pay etc there,I would (and have before) screw them and laugh after a few months after the account department still did not discover the error.
If I was working for a Government office/dept and they overpaid me.I would do exactly what you have done and put the money aside..After that I would knock em!!
The UK has become a dog eat dog country and Honesty doesn't always pay these days IMO...
That said,if you or your Mrs feel guilty about it then declare it.... Its not worth the sleepless nights... Again.... Only IMO.

MissAna
28th November 2012, 14:46
hmmm :idea: easy :biggrin:, i would inform someone who is incharge about it. we all know what's right and wrong.and when you have done the right thing, it's a good feeling afterwards. :innocent1:

fred
28th November 2012, 15:41
hmmm :idea: easy :biggrin:, i would inform someone who is incharge about it. we all know what's right and wrong.and when you have done the right thing, it's a good feeling afterwards. :innocent1:

Miss Ana... I totally respect yor opinion and once upon a time it was one that I shared... Since then I have been ripped off by so many companies of all different shapes and sizes that these days I have changed my opinion.
Continue to do what you believe is right...Then you cant go wrong,di ba?

stevewool
28th November 2012, 18:05
put it in a high interest account then if you do have to pay it back you can at least keep the interest gained !!!!!!!

:Erm: do you know of any

lastlid
28th November 2012, 19:27
:Erm: do you know of any

Try the offshore banks. You get a better rate of interest that way.

lastlid
28th November 2012, 19:33
http://www.money.co.uk/savings-accounts.htm

Moy
28th November 2012, 20:21
aha so how long you need to work so you'll qualify for any x mas bonus:biggrin::wink:

lastlid
28th November 2012, 20:23
aha so how long you need to work so you'll qualify for any x mas bonus:biggrin::wink:

It depends on your employer and how generous or otherwise they are.

Moy
28th November 2012, 20:27
It depends on your employer and how generous or otherwise they are.

aws ok lastid..i thought only in the philippines this bonus thingy during x mas:icon_rolleyes::biggrin:

stevewool
28th November 2012, 20:39
if you have work thats a bonus they say

Moy
28th November 2012, 20:42
if you have work thats a bonus they say

nope im talking about x mas bonus stevewool dont be daft..:biggrin: am sure your wife know what am saying:hubbahubba::biggrin:

lastlid
28th November 2012, 20:44
nope im talking about x mas bonus stevewool dont be daft..:biggrin: am sure your wife know what am saying:hubbahubba::biggrin:

I went for 30 years without an Xmas bonus. This year I get one. It is all down to your employer.

stevewool
28th November 2012, 20:45

well i dont know, is it extra sex xmas morning:do_it::do_it::do_it::do_it::do_it:

Moy
28th November 2012, 20:46
I went for 30 years without an Xmas bonus. This year I get one. It is all down to your employer.

well on that case lastid..you were one of those "UNLUCKY "one:furious3::cwm25::thumbsdown::biggrin:

lastlid
28th November 2012, 20:51
well on that case lastid..you were one of those "UNLUCKY "one:furious3::cwm25::thumbsdown::biggrin:

Yeah. My last employer(s) were as tight as a camel's bottom in a sandstorm. :biggrin:

Moy
28th November 2012, 21:01
well i dont know, is it extra sex xmas morning:do_it::do_it::do_it::do_it::do_it:

well on that case i think we should pm each other and ill give you great tips for that hakhak:laugher::Help1::biggrin::Cuckoo::icon_lol::icon_lol:

raynaputi
28th November 2012, 21:03
I'm wondering, are there no 13th month pay for workers here in the UK? :Erm:

lastlid
28th November 2012, 21:07
I'm wondering, are there no 13th month pay for workers here in the UK? :Erm:

I had that at the end of my first year of employment back in 1980. A 13th months pay, then they stopped it the following year. It was an American company. I had actually forgotten about that until you just mentioned it.

Funnily enough, the same year they gave me a 1000 USD advance loan and never did ask for it back.

RickyR
29th November 2012, 06:09
I agree with the general advice to put it in a seperate account and leave it there, until you find out whether its hers or not.
Last month my salary was deposited 5 times into my bank account, however 24 hours later the excess was transferred out of my account. (I don't think they can do that in the UK, but certainly here its possible).

Michael Parnham
29th November 2012, 08:39
Steve, I suggest you call the wages department and sort it out before they contact you, far better you contact them first because if the discover that they have made a mistake and take it back next pay day Em may not have anything next month, just my opinion Steve!!

lastlid
29th November 2012, 09:27
Quote from a Consumer Group Forum

"Re: Query about salary overpayment
I work for my Local Council payroll section, when informing your daughter of the overpayment they should give her a point of contact to arrange salary deductions that would be affordable to her, if she is no longer employed by them it is usually deducted from the final salary and any outstanding amount passed onto the debtors department to arrange payment.
I dealt with a similar case where an employee had been put onto the wrong rate of pay, there was no way they could have been able to detect this, Unison stepped in and the debt was written off. If your daughter is not a union member, it may be wise for her to join and get some advice as overpayments are not always clear cut and there MAY be the possibility of getting the amount reduced depending on the circumstances. Either way they will accept payment by installments from her salary, even if it takes years to repay."