PDA

View Full Version : Need someone to talk....

xyrababy
2nd December 2012, 15:16
Hello Everyone my name is Lyn i am a Filipina currently living here in Denton Manchester I am new here almost 5 months hoping to gain real friends also I am doing this because i have a friend in Wrexham Wales is there anybody there who can be her friend she is having a hard time right now because she feels so lonely esp Christmas is approaching. Maybe if she has someone to talk or even met for a chat she will feel better she just got here 2 months ago feel sorry that we are far. Thank you so much.

jlags90
2nd December 2012, 15:21
Hello Everyone my name is Lyn i am a Filipina currently living here in Denton Manchester I am new here almost 5 months hoping to gain real friends also I am doing this because i have a friend in Wrexham Wales is there anybody there who can be her friend she is having a hard time right now because she feels so lonely esp Christmas is approaching. Maybe if she has someone to talk or even met for a chat she will feel better she just got here 2 months ago feel sorry that we are far. Thank you so much.

Hi Lyn, welcome to the pack.:biggrin: I do not live in Manchester but that's our Boy Bawang shopping destination. :icon_lol:

raynaputi
2nd December 2012, 16:22
I'm from Denbigh, North Wales.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

melovesengland
2nd December 2012, 17:50
Im from lincoln but we do shop in manchesters arndale and my husband goes to wrexham to do an IT job. Welcome to the house anyway! xxxx

lastlid
2nd December 2012, 17:56

Theres a Filipino restaurant not far from you in Ashton. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

174 Oldham Road, Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancashire, OL7 9AN

http://www.manchester.com/restaurants/details/358/Coras_Philippino_Restaurant.html

lastlid
2nd December 2012, 18:03
"Corazon (Cora) runs a little café in Ashton, not far from Ikea. Visiting first on a Sunday we found it fairly busy, but serving only full English breakfasts (at £3.50 these were great value, but not what we were hoping for). Talking to the chatty owner revealed that she does indeed served Filipino food, but only in the evenings. Paul, Simon and I immediately made a reservation to return the following Thursday.

Filipino cuisine is a mixture of Asian staples, Spanish tastes, and local produce. As such it is a curious half-way-house between mainland Asian (Chinese etc) and Latin American food. According to Wikipedia the culinary heart of the Philippines is Pampanga in Luzon (or so the Kapampangans claim). To our great benefit Cora herself hails from there, and the food dished up is Pampangueñan.

Inside Cora’s is like a cosy little tea-shop – though with a soundtrack of salsa and 50s rock-n-roll crooners. We were the only people there on the Thursday evening – I got the impression Cora had opened up especially for us. Already we had become friends, and it was clear that our interest in Filipino grub had made our host want to treat us to the best. We sat down with a glass of cool San Miguel lager each – who knew that it came from the Philippines? I had always assumed it was Spanish…

First course was soups. Yet again, mine failed to disappoint. I had ordered sinigang (£3.00). This soup was hot and sour. The heat came from a couple of green finger chillis; the sourness came from tamarind. The body of it was chunks of fish and sliced cabbage leaves. It smelled very fishy and had a very distinctive – but by no means unpleasant – astringency on the tastebuds. Simon meanwhile was tucking in to Sopas na Mais (£2.30), a sweetcorn soup with added prawns, and Paul was playing it safe with Sopas na Manok (£2.00), a cream of chicken soup packed with veg.

For a second course we had been encouraged to have spare ribs, a house speciality. These were much more delicately flavoured than the usual sticky barbecue or Chinese-style ribs, with a fragrant garlicky taste to them. They were so slow-cooked the meat was practically falling off the bone. We could see why these Philipino-style ribs were so popular here. They cost £3.80 a portion.

For main courses we had decided to share three between us: one pork, one beef, one chicken. We were brought plates with rice (more rice was later brought out for us without asking), and three serving bowls of meat in sauce.

The pork dish was what must be the Philippines’ national dish: pork adobo. This was strips of tenderly succulent belly pork, cooked in a sauce of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and red wine. The meat was practically liquescent, and the light sauce was refreshingly tangy without being overpowering. Out of the three main dishes, this was my favourite. At £7.50 it was also the cheapest.

Simon’s favourite was the Calderata. Cora recommended this as our beef dish. It was a (mildly) spicy meal; the heat could not be felt on the tongue, but just as a warming sensation on the back of the throat. For £8.50 we got pieces of beef cooked in a tomato sauce with carrots and (oddly enough) peas. I really had not expected garden peas to be used; I’m not sure whether this would be a traditional Filipino recipe for Calderata, or just a dish adapted to English tastes by using whatever was freely available.

Our third dish was certainly an example of an adapted recipe and not exactly a famous staple of Filipino cooking. Chicken a-la Philippines (£8.50) was clearly an attempt to create a tropical atmosphere by cooking up chicken with typical Filipino produce: in this case pineapple and mango. Considering that I don’t particularly like fruit in main meals this was actually pretty good. There wasn’t a sweet-and-sour fight for dominance, and the sweetness was actually far milder than I expected. It would have been helpful if Paul had said that this was his favourite, but he could not make up his mind.

After packing all this away (and leaving spotlessly empty plates and dishes) Cora popped out for a chat. It turned out that she had prepared a pudding for us, something authentically Filipino. This turned out to be crème caramel. I was used to a jelly-like custard dessert prepared from a packet, but this was a denser possibly baked slice of flan topped with caramel. It was lovely that she had anticipated our needs in this way.

The final bill for the three of us, including drinks, came to £50.50. We actually left £60 we were so happy with the warmth and hospitality we had received from Cora. We also left with intentions to revisit some other time: Paul for the Sunday English breakfast, and me to bring my Filipino auntie. I felt that we had been treated to an authentic meal from the Philippines, and with an authentically generous Philippines welcome. It was unexpected to find this place out in Ashton, but for the spare ribs and pork adobo in particular I feel that it deserves to become much better known among Manchester’s foodies."

http://www.igougo.com/dining-reviews-b346215-Ashton-under-Lyne-Coras_Philippine_Cuisine.html

joebloggs
2nd December 2012, 18:16
there are loads of filipino's around the Manchester area, my stepson has nearly as many Filipino friends in the Manchester as he had in the Phils. :doh

joebloggs
2nd December 2012, 18:19
[I]"Corazon (Cora) runs a little café in Ashton,

the over-side had a get together there once :Beer::NEW1:

i use to go to Ashton many years ago and buy funny colored PSX cd's :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
2nd December 2012, 23:36
Hello Everyone my name is Lyn i am a Filipina currently living here in Denton Manchester I am new here almost 5 months hoping to gain real friends

Hello, Lyn ... :welcomex: to our friendly, filipino/uk online community.

Arthur Little
2nd December 2012, 23:55

Hi Lyn, welcome to the pack.:biggrin: I do not live in Manchester but that's our Boy Bawang shopping destination. :icon_lol:

I'm from Denbigh, North Wales.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Two of our ladies have already introduced themselves, I notice ... one of them as you can see, regularly shops in Manchester ... while the other lives near Denbigh - not too far, I believe, from Wrexham where your friend is located. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

There's a good start! :yeahthat:

xyrababy
3rd December 2012, 20:56
Thank you everyone I am glad to know people are warm even its very cold in here hehehe:Jump::Jump::Jump:...

xyrababy
3rd December 2012, 21:00
Hello :Wave: Thanks for the reply I am not familiar with the place but if you.re close to Wrexham to my friends place that would be great. Is it possible to add you on FB? I will let my friend that I found someone to be her friend... :smile::smile::smile:

raynaputi
3rd December 2012, 21:08
Hello :Wave: Thanks for the reply I am not familiar with the place but if you.re close to Wrexham to my friends place that would be great. Is it possible to add you on FB? I will let my friend that I found someone to be her friend... :smile::smile::smile:

Hi,

I can send you message thru your email. :)

xyrababy
3rd December 2012, 21:19

Thanks which part of UK you are from? how long you have been here? It is really hard to be away from home isn't it? very different here and cold BRRRR :Cuckoo:

xyrababy
3rd December 2012, 21:22
I don't know how this thing works here so please bear with me hehehe... can you see my email add?:biggrin::biggrin:

raynaputi
3rd December 2012, 21:23
I don't know ho this thing works here so please bear with me hehehe... can you see my email add?:biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, I'm the admin assistant so I would be able to..anyway, I just sent you an email. :biggrin:

xyrababy
3rd December 2012, 21:25
I got it already thanks much

aim_angel
3rd December 2012, 22:38
Hello I live in Swindon but I can be your friend if you like!:wink: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dakila
4th December 2012, 11:23
Hi Lyn, welcome!

You can message me your friend's details and I can introduce her to many Filipinas here in the UK if you like!

Regards,
Daks

jlags90
4th December 2012, 13:42
Thanks whivh part of UK you are from? how long you have been here? It is really hard to be away from home isn't it? very different here and cold BRRRR :Cuckoo:

I am from Colder Dale (i mean CALDERDALE area):biggrin: We'll give you a shout when we go to Manchester. I am certain, February 18,2013 for The Killers concert.:biggrin: Indeed, it is very difficult to live in a foreign country, but I am sure you will meet lovely people in this forum. I have met some of them and it is nice to talk using your own language non-stop. I have been here for 7 cold months.:icon_lol:

Ladybug_sim
4th December 2012, 13:54
Hi Lyn, warm welcome for you here :Hellooo::Hellooo:

I can't say anything for this moment coz for me it is really hard to meet some fellow kababayan in my place where I live for now ... I'm here in the uk for 15 months now.. still can't find friends to talk to or meet together.. have friends on fb but still hoping oneday I can meet them all. Looking somebody near on north somerset area, bristol or clevedon pier :cwm25:

raynaputi
4th December 2012, 14:15
Hi Lyn, warm welcome for you here :Hellooo::Hellooo:

I can't say anything for this moment coz for me it is really hard to meet some fellow kababayan in my place where I live for now ... I'm here in the uk for 15 months now.. still can't find friends to talk to or meet together.. have friends on fb but still hoping oneday I can meet them all. Looking somebody near on north somerset area, bristol or clevedon pier :cwm25:

I'm quite the same..as we are 3 miles from the town and mostly here in our small village are elderly people..although they've been good so far :smile:

raynaputi
4th December 2012, 14:16
I am from Colder Dale (i mean CALDERDALE area):biggrin: We'll give you a shout when we go to Manchester. I am certain, February 18,2013 for The Killers concert.:biggrin: Indeed, it is very difficult to live in a foreign country, but I am sure you will meet lovely people in this forum. I have met some of them and it is nice to talk using your own language non-stop. I have been here for 7 cold months.:icon_lol:

The Killers!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jlags90
4th December 2012, 14:34
The Killers!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:icon_rolleyes:I am coming to keep David quite.:icon_lol:
It was supposed to be last 14th of November, but it was postponed.

Dedworth
4th December 2012, 18:48
Am I missing something here ??? OP is looking for friends for her lonely pal in Wrexham but the threads gone into Manchester overdrive

xyrababy
4th December 2012, 19:10
Hello thanks for the reply is it possible if we can add each other in Fb? i don't know how to do personal message here i think she wont let me send her personal details in here hehehe you know what I mean for security reasons.

Dakila
4th December 2012, 20:28
Hi xyrababy,

Hello thanks for the reply is it possible if we can add each other in Fb?

What's your fb address?

jlags90
5th December 2012, 12:23
Hello Everyone my name is Lyn i am a Filipina currently living here in Denton Manchester I am new here almost 5 months hoping to gain real friends also I am doing this because.....

Am I missing something here ??? OP is looking for friends for her lonely pal in Wrexham but the threads gone into Manchester overdrive

Yes, Dedworth, I think you have missed some part.

Dedworth
5th December 2012, 14:10

:smile: thanks I read it too fast

jlags90
6th December 2012, 18:54

No problem. :biggrin:

lastlid
6th December 2012, 20:13

.....i am a Filipina currently living here in Denton Manchester I am new here almost 5 months hoping to gain real friends.....

Dedworth
6th December 2012, 22:49
:Erm: Speed reading letting you down too Last ?

lastlid
6th December 2012, 23:27
:Erm: Speed reading letting you down too Last ?

I think you read it too fast. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kered
7th December 2012, 23:45
Any chance you can find a friend for me please?

Ako Si Jamie
7th December 2012, 23:58
Any chance you can find a friend for me please?A member called Scott knows a lot of Filipina's in the Midlands but he doesn't seem to be around lately.

From what I gather there are quite a few pinays in Bartley Green in Birmingham.

Tish
15th December 2012, 16:44

Hi Lyn, Tish here :Wave:

If you still need someone to talk to just let me know :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
15th December 2012, 16:55
Yup,people must surely be lonely here in the UK,we only have a population of 63,000,000 :bigcry: I KNEW multiculturalism and integration was a spin-word,birds of a feather will always flock together :wink:

Tish
15th December 2012, 17:00
Yup,people must surely be lonely here in the UK,we only have a population of 63,000,000 :bigcry: I KNEW multiculturalism and integration was a spin-word,birds of a feather will always flock together :wink:

indeed :icon_rolleyes:

xyrababy
18th December 2012, 16:21
:Wave: hello Tish thanks for the response if u could give me ur fb so that I can add u.

Tish
19th December 2012, 08:03
:Wave: hello Tish thanks for the response if u could give me ur fb so that I can add u.

hi xyrababy :Wave:

i'm unable to provide you with fb but you can send private message here any time :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Merry Christmas :santa:

sars_notd_virus
19th December 2012, 14:47
Hello I live in Swindon but I can be your friend if you like!:wink: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Where in Swindon are you??

mickmyrna
19th December 2012, 15:55
Yup,people must surely be lonely here in the UK,we only have a population of 63,000,000 :bigcry: I KNEW multiculturalism and integration was a spin-word,birds of a feather will always flock together :wink: mmm i am different of the others i don't feel lonely ... maybe because i am a home bird :smile: Myrna