PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Floods (Philippines)

lastlid
7th December 2012, 13:55
"Tony Oposa delivered a whirlwind of a speech, brimming with passion and just enough fury on the future of floods. He said that we have to accept that Metro Manila will one day return to what it was – a delta. “The obscure will be figured out sooner or later. The obvious takes a lot longer.” Ondoy showed Metro Manilans what a one-meter sea-level rise would look like. “In the laws of nature, there is no right or wrong, there are no rewards or punishments. There are only consequences.”"

http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/12518-tedxdiliman-seize-the-future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIWi9GYy10U&feature=player_embedded

jake
8th December 2012, 06:51
Is going to get worse. One of my wifes brothers lives in Santa Cruz Laguna next to Laguna Lake. The area flooded in August and despite the fact it hasn't rained much some areas are still under water.
Too anybody thinking of buying/building a house here in the Philippines in the future. Find out if the area is flood prone and try and stay away from rivers.

lastlid
8th December 2012, 09:43
Is going to get worse. One of my wifes brothers lives in Santa Cruz Laguna next to Laguna Lake. The area flooded in August and despite the fact it hasn't rained much some areas are still under water.
Too anybody thinking of buying/building a house here in the Philippines in the future. Find out if the area is flood prone and try and stay away from rivers.

And that goes for the UK too eh.

Yes, try and avoid flood prone areas, areas known for earth quakes and dormant / active volcanoes. Which island would you recommend for that?

andy222
8th December 2012, 10:46
When I look at the tall buildings in manila I always fear the worst. One day they will have a massive earthquake which will leave millions dead. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid but thats what i think when I see it there.

Michael Parnham
8th December 2012, 12:23
I think your right there Andy, because most structures are built to a very poor standard, but they have some bloody good concrete!!

andy222
8th December 2012, 13:26
Yes it is concerning Michael. I remember being in a typhoon there last year. Frightened the hell out of me. Never seen anything like that before. It was amazing how quickly it flooded.