PDA

View Full Version : Airline Travel Insurance

marksroomspain
10th December 2012, 23:43
Hi guys a lot of you know me on here now I just want to throw this question to anybody who has experience or knowledge of this:

My wife is travelling to the UK on Friday after receiving her spouse visa, she will be 33 weeks pregnant when she departs and everything is in place ie: cfo, medical clearance ect as she can travel up to 36 weeks of pregnancy so no problems.

What I would like to ask is it beneficial for her to get travel insurance, would policies cover her in aspect of any problems ie: would she be able to get travel insurance covering pregnancy.

Also I have looked at Ethiad airways who she is travelling with and cannot find where it says travel insurance is compulsory to travel with them.

I know this is an area where some people might of experienced themselves so hope for a bit of feedback from the forum.

In the meantime thanks guys for all your support.

lastlid
10th December 2012, 23:46
WOW. My wife gave birth at 36 weeks and 1 day. Her waters broke at that point, naturally. Our daughter was 3 weeks early.

lastlid
10th December 2012, 23:49
I seem to recall, when flying Saudi Airlines, to the Philippines, that there was a woman on board that was in an advanced stage of pregnancy. How far I am not sure but at a guess about 30 to 36 weeks pregnant.

Sorry I can't help on insurance in your wife's case.

lastlid
10th December 2012, 23:54
Also I have looked at Ethiad airways who she is travelling with and cannot find where it says travel insurance is compulsory to travel with them.

BTW Travel insurance is optional. I flew Etihad also, and although I had travel insurance, it wasn't a prerequisite that Etihad asked for.

You could try phoning Etihad.

marksroomspain
11th December 2012, 00:24
Thanks lastlid for your input I suppose its me being so excited by her arrival with xmas around the corner and its been 21 very very long weeks since we were last together, by the way is that a pic of your daughter she is beautiful all the best to you and your family...

lastlid
11th December 2012, 00:47
Thanks lastlid for your input I suppose its me being so excited by her arrival with xmas around the corner and its been 21 very very long weeks since we were last together, by the way is that a pic of your daughter she is beautiful all the best to you and your family...

Yes. Thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
11th December 2012, 05:46
Are you already aware of the following requirements?

Expectant Mothers

Safety and comfort are of paramount importance to us. As an expectant mother there is some important information you should know about air travel:

• Etihad Airways allows pregnant women to travel up to the end of the 36th week of their pregnancy.

• Pregnant travellers who are expecting multiple children must travel before the end of the 36th week of their pregnancy.

• If the pregnancy is 28 weeks or more, the traveller will be required to submit a Medical Certificate issued by her physician stating fitness for travel, number of weeks pregnant and estimated due date.

• We recommend travellers avoid air travel up to 7 days after delivery.

• We advise guests the following:
(a) Wearing compression stockings and elevating feet during flight as the threat of thrombosis is increased in
pregnancy.
(b) Avoid lifting heavy weights during pregnancy, so particular care should be taken regarding baggage.

Medical certificate for pregnant women

The medical certificate required for women traveling during pregnancy must adhere to the
following guidelines:

• Signed by the guest’s medical doctor or attending midwife.

• Written on a clinic/hospital letterhead and/or stamped by the medical doctor or attending midwife.

• Issued within 7days from the date of travel.

• State if the pregnancy is single or multiple.

• State the number of weeks of pregnancy and/or the Expected Date of Delivery (EDD).

• State that the guest is fit to fly.

• Be easily understood and written in English or Arabic, other languages are acceptable but must be verified by Etihad Airways check-in staff.

RickyR
11th December 2012, 05:48
This company arranges insurance upto week 32, but is for UK based residents I guess. You could speak to a broker in the Philippines about something similar. http://www.insureandgo.com/pregnant_travel_insurance.htm

When buying travel insurance, bear in mind that pregnant women are considered relatively high risk. So most insurers won't provide cover if you don't have at least eight weeks until your due date on the day you return from holiday. Other insurers have an even lower threshold and won't insure you beyond 26 or 27 weeks pregnancy. That means that you won't be covered if you cancelled your holiday or incurred costs because you're pregnant.