PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on gay marriage?

blondie
18th December 2012, 12:47
Media has been stormed with articles regarding same-sex marriage legalization, since the prime minister supported it, and since Scotland wanted to introduce them. my partner is fillipono, and we never thought about a church wedding, but now we are considering it!! other thoughts/ love stories? :)

grahamw48
18th December 2012, 13:53
I consider it a perverted nonsense.

Marriage is an institution intended to give meaning and security to a man and woman who have made vows to each other, and for the benefit of their naturally produced offspring.

Gays should invent their own institution instead of trying to hijack and make a joke out of the existing one.

Our traditional society and its values are being gradually eroded by the whinings and selfishness of insecure minorities constantly trying to become 'accepted' and 'included'.

The Bible gives some good lessons and warnings where such matters are concerned. :ReadIt:

Iani
18th December 2012, 14:31
This is just a pile of rubbish from a tory party desperately trying to be somehow modern......and ending up like Grandad putting on jeans and listening to gangsta rap in an attempt to be "down wid da kidz"

Have they asked gays if they want this? Somehow I doubt it. Even Labour didn't go this far......with good reason, it's ridiculous.

There is already gay marriage, it's called a civil partnership. This hasn't stopped gay couples saying they're getting married, it's accepted as a gay marriage.

This seems to be more a case of letting religious establishments offer gay marriage. Well it doesn't matter if you are religious or not - most religions preach and believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. It's insulting to try to put pressure on those religious establishments to allow a couple of men to get married when it's against their principals.

Ladies and Gentlemen, raise your glasses for.........the bride and bride :biggrin:

Arthur Little
18th December 2012, 16:35
Personally, I don't see the NEED for gay "marriage" per se. :nono-1-1: ...

... from the Church's stance, for instance, 'Holy Matrimony' is an "Institution" - a "union between a man and a woman" - and SHOULD NOT be entered into lightly. :NoNo:

Therefore, to do so in any OTHER respect has, since time immemorial, been regarded as being "a sin in the eyes of God". But, even casting aside the religious element, and also (without meaning to appear homophobic!) :iagree: totally with Graham, in that, it is both immoral and unnatural. And while I fully recognise that it is no-one else's business as to how two individuals of the same sex conduct theimselves in private, it is up to them to ensure that their commitment to each other does not impinge on Society's values as a whole.

bigmac
18th December 2012, 17:50
" i now pronounce you man and husband---"

it may be legal--but i think i'll emigrate before its made compulsory.

stevewool
18th December 2012, 18:08
each to there own i say, its just the goverment trying to get everyones vote for the coming elections,

andy222
18th December 2012, 18:14
I agree steve. Leave them to it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
18th December 2012, 19:03
Makes a mockery of biblical teachings surely,man shall not lie with man?Unless the bible is interpreted according to personal sexual persuasions?In which case whats the point of it?Thou shalt not kill(unless your a murderer)Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife(unless you fancy her)You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female,it is an abomination(unless you stick a ring on his finger) :icon_rolleyes:

Arthur Little
18th December 2012, 19:19
each to there own i say,

:yeahthat:'s very true, Steve ... and I've no real objection to that ... but surely campaigning for centuries-old traditions - especially long-held moral ones involving the Church - to be radically altered to suit the whims of a minority group, is a step too far, IMO.

its just the government trying to get everyones vote for the coming elections,

Quite possibly, I suppose ... albeit how the hell Cameron's OTHERWISE "dyed in the wool" crew could be blinkered enough to imagine that blithely choosing to ignore the wishes of the UK electorate at LARGE - by backing such a highly controversial motion - would be doing them any favours in the long-term run-up to the next General Election (which is still almost 21/2 years away) is beyond me, to be honest.

grahamw48
18th December 2012, 19:42
Apathy has taken over the country and our kids are subjected to constant politically-correct brainwashing in schools.

That is why we are being inundated with human parasites, accommodating weirdos of all kinds and basically allowing the whole country to slide into a backboneless second rate dumping ground where mediocrity, ignorance and 3rd world standards and customs appear now to be acceptable, or have a blind eye turned to. :icon_rolleyes:

Michael Parnham
18th December 2012, 19:43
I agree with Arthur, food for thought now, are any other lifeforms on this planet gay? I don't think so:NoNo:

andy222
18th December 2012, 19:43
Some people have very short memories Sir Arthur.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th December 2012, 19:52
I agree with Arthur, food for thought now, are any other lifeforms on this planet gay? I don't think so :NoNo:

I thought 'God' gave us Adam and then Eve....each provided with the appropriate equipment for excretion and reproduction. :Erm:

HIV should be sufficient warning against flouting nature's conventions.:NoNo:

stevewool
18th December 2012, 20:16
we cant help who we fall in love with, and if they are the same sex well i wish them well, my son is gay i love him and i would die for him too, if he finds someone one day and they fall in love , just like any father i would want the best for him and his partner just like i hope all of us would if ever our children chose to be on this path, again its the press the goverment and who ever can jump onto this bandwagon just to get there five minutes worth,

Jamesey
18th December 2012, 21:55
I can't believe some of the opinions in this thread! We're in 2012, not 1812!

What's the problem with gay marriage? If they want to get married, let them get on with it! Live and let live!

The religious arguments against gay marriage are just someones interpretation of a book written thousands of years ago, which has no relevance to modern society.

Also, if I started a club and said "you can't join if you're gay", it would be illegal. Why doesn't this apply to marriage?

Arthur Little
19th December 2012, 01:16
Oh, dear :icon_rolleyes: ... in case either of the two postings I've made on this topic have upset anyone's finer feelings, then I can only apologise, as - being a fairly sensitive bloke, myself - believe me, it wasn't intended. :NoNo:

Let me be clear about this; if one of my close relatives turned out to be gay, then ... yes ... I'd be disappointed ... but, as Steve rightly points out ... "We ARE who we are" ... and it certainly would NOT stop me loving that person.

Nevertheless, I abide by the view I expressed earlier ... about there being no logical necessity for gay marriage, since there are numerous other ways in which same sex couples can celebrate their commitment to one another without making a mockery of the marriage rites traditionally reserved for heterosexual relationships. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
19th December 2012, 01:51
I agree with Arthur

:smile: That's very reassuring, Michael, thanks ... I was beginning to fear I'd [inadvertently] offended some folks' sensitivities - which had been the last thing on my mind.

Arthur Little
19th December 2012, 02:13
We're in 2012, not 1812!

'1812 Overture' ... by the Russian composer, Tchaikovsky ... about whom rumours of homosexuality abounded during his lifetime and appear to have persisted following his demise in 1893.

Whether founded or unfounded, I've no idea. :NoNo:

That's a real "Nutcracker"! :cwm3:

London_Manila
19th December 2012, 02:13
I consider it a perverted nonsense.

Marriage is an institution intended to give meaning and security to a man and woman who have made vows to each other, and for the benefit of their naturally produced offspring.

Gays should invent their own institution instead of trying to hijack and make a joke out of the existing one.

Our traditional society and its values are being gradually eroded by the whinings and selfishness of insecure minorities constantly trying to become 'accepted' and 'included'.

The Bible gives some good lessons and warnings where such matters are concerned. :ReadIt:

I dont mind if two women or two men want to get married and who are you to judge them?

The views you are expressing here seem to come from the dark ages.......

You even have the cheek to mention the bible as if anyone takes any notice of these old books these days = only for the brainwashed !

Times change and gay people are here to stay so i suggest you get use to it

Live and let live :smile:

London_Manila
19th December 2012, 02:17
I thought 'God' gave us Adam and then Eve....each provided with the appropriate equipment for excretion and reproduction. :Erm:

HIV should be sufficient warning against flouting nature's conventions.:NoNo:

As if only gay people get infected with HIV/Aids :icon_rolleyes:

London_Manila
19th December 2012, 02:28
I can't believe some of the opinions in this thread! We're in 2012, not 1812!

What's the problem with gay marriage? If they want to get married, let them get on with it! Live and let live!

The religious arguments against gay marriage are just someones interpretation of a book written thousands of years ago, which has no relevance to modern society.

Also, if I started a club and said "you can't join if you're gay", it would be illegal. Why doesn't this apply to marriage?

Sadly homophobic bigots do exist and they approach matters such as same sex marriage with their twisted views along the lines that everyone should be straight and gay people are evil.......................

Its not my cup of tea either but i defend the right for gay people to do want they want

les_taxi
19th December 2012, 09:00
I'm not Homophobic and know a gay guy and he is sound as a pound and quite funny being a bit camp but I still think its not quite right allowing a church wedding!
Like it has been said on here they have a civil partnership on already in place.
If it's allowed and my gay mate wanted to get married there I would find it not quite right-that's just me
Not comparing anyone gay to a pet but whats next loony pet owners wanting a church service for dead pets:omg:
Just leave it as it is it's worked for hundreds of years:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
19th December 2012, 11:38
I don't think anyone is offended by anyone elses comments, after all someone mentioned that it's 2012 after all and some of us older generation are a little slow to catch up with modern times and I'm sure those younger than ourselves Arthur understand!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
19th December 2012, 11:57
who cares what people do, we've got more important things to talk about..
like football, visa's , money and religion :icon_lol::doh:doh

fred
19th December 2012, 12:04
"I'm homophobic just like I'm arachnophobic. I have nothing against
homosexuals or spiders but I'd still scream if I found one in my bathtub!"

fred
19th December 2012, 12:15
David Davies, Tory MP, Denies Homophobia, Says He 'Once Fought A Gay Boxer'
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/10/david-davies-gay-marriage_n_2269989.html

sars_notd_virus
19th December 2012, 14:56
Hmm I think Gays are gay:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
19th December 2012, 15:03
Let me just add that the OP has not returned and I believe him/her to be a troll. Trolls just stir the sh1t and disappear never to return. So unless the OP comes back why is everyone bitchin'

By the way, the OP hails from Germany guys, not the UK....so why start a thread in a UK/Fil forum?? get my drift guys?:NoNo:

les_taxi
19th December 2012, 15:29
We like bitchin':biggrin:

Steve.r
19th December 2012, 15:41
We like bitchin':biggrin:
:icon_lol: ya.. I know that Les
:biggrin:

les_taxi
19th December 2012, 15:47
Nothing like posting something you know people are going to get bit worked up about it's a healthy hobby and many of us love it it's our guilty pleasure :icon_lol:

bigmarco
19th December 2012, 17:11
I think we've come along way in the last 10 years , what with the introduction of the civil partnerships and same sex couples now having the same rights as married couples for the benefits of pensions etc etc. I can remember 8 years ago when my father died and phoning up to get my mums pension sorted and being told that because they were not married she couldn't be classed as a widow. 56 years together, along with 5 children, their own jointly owned property counted for nothing in the eyes of DWP. So excuse me for thinking that same sex couples are not getting a bad deal at the moment.
See I think we're allowed to petition Government for rights and changes to laws because that's what they are there for. If we don't like something we try and change it or vote somebody else in.
However the Church is different and particularly the Catholic Church. You cant bully or harass the church to change because you disagree. The Catholic church has some strong principles some of which I agree with and some I don't. It's is against same sex marriage and it is against adoption of children by same sex couples and they don't seem inclined to change their stance any year soon. So I disagree with trying to portray the Churches as out of touch with modern society. Instead respect their thousands of years of traditions and their rights just the same as you and I not to welcome you into their house if they so chose.

les_taxi
19th December 2012, 17:15
Good point bigmarco:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
19th December 2012, 21:19
Blimey....don't remember hearing the last bit in Church. :cwm24:
23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.
29 So when God destroyed the cities of the plain, he remembered Abraham, and he brought Lot out of the catastrophe that overthrew the cities where Lot had lived.
Lot and His Daughters30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”
33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-495g)]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-496h)]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-496i)] of today.

les_taxi
19th December 2012, 21:23
Another Jimmy saville post:omg:

London_Manila
20th December 2012, 02:38
Blimey....don't remember hearing the last bit in Church. :cwm24:
23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the Lord. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.
29 So when God destroyed the cities of the plain, he remembered Abraham, and he brought Lot out of the catastrophe that overthrew the cities where Lot had lived.
Lot and His Daughters30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”
33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.
36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab[g (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-495g)]; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi[h (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-496h)]; he is the father of the Ammonites[i (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+19&version=NIV#fen-NIV-496i)] of today.

Noah's Ark and the parting of the waves i am sure its all true :icon_rolleyes:

blondie
20th December 2012, 17:32
However the Church is different and particularly the Catholic Church. You cant bully or harass the church to change because you disagree. The Catholic church has some strong principles some of which I agree with and some I don't. It's is against same sex marriage and it is against adoption of children by same sex couples and they don't seem inclined to change their stance any year soon. So I disagree with trying to portray the Churches as out of touch with modern society. Instead respect their thousands of years of traditions and their rights just the same as you and I not to welcome you into their house if they so chose.

Just a sec there, no one is harrasing them... In other places where it is legalized, it is left to the decision of the priest / parish to decide whether they will marry a couple or not, so I don't see the problem here, the law would work to the favour of those priests that actually want same-sex couples to come to them and get married, nothing else.

Besides, silly as it may seem, the church is also trying to keep it's (gay) believers in today's atheistic world...