PDA

View Full Version : N.I Number Do we have to apply for it?

Rory
20th December 2012, 00:36
Not been on here for a few weeks as my wife is here now and have less time to get on here. I got back from work today and she was telling me she was a little bored so i thought about finding so work for her, my question is.... will we get her National Insurance number in the post or do we apply for one here and can she apply for one while looking for work and not apply for one after she find work.

My wife is here on a spouse visa so is able to work.

raynaputi
20th December 2012, 01:46
She needs NI if she wants to work. It is required.

Arthur Little
20th December 2012, 02:36
Hi, Rory ... all you and/or Asuncion need do, is contact your nearest Jobcentre Plus; they, in turn, will send her a form which she should then complete and return to them in the prepaid envelope that is [usually] provided - along with any documents that [may] be requested. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
20th December 2012, 10:40
Ok, thank you for the replies, i will get on with this today. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

alanmf1
20th December 2012, 19:38
Rory,
Congrats that your wife is here now! Great Xmas !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
23rd December 2012, 02:07
Rory,
Congrats that your wife is here now! Great Xmas !:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Alan, Christmas will be good this year. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd December 2012, 10:04
Yes, Rory. I'm so pleased to learn that you're wife has made it to UK and ready to enjoy here first Christmas here. :Jump:

Maybe I missed that good news. Anyway better late than never.

Have a great time together 2013 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigtilly
24th December 2012, 12:31
Your wife needs to apply for her N I Number straight away however, she CAN start work without one.

ynwa
25th December 2012, 15:10
bigtilly, I'm not sure one can start work without NI as it is the first thing they ask when you apply for job unless its cash on hand.

bigtilly
26th December 2012, 13:39
bigtilly, I'm not sure one can start work without NI as it is the first thing they ask when you apply for job unless its cash on hand.

Maybe this will convince you.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm

ynwa
26th December 2012, 13:54
You must apply for a National Insurance number to start work but you don't need to have a plastic National Insurance number card.

bigtilly thats on the link you sent me unless i miss out something. I'm not an expert I might be wrong.

Terpe
26th December 2012, 20:01
In principle, you don't need a NINO to start working.
Take a look at the HMRC webpage Applying for a National Insurance number (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/number.htm)

Having said that maybe some employers either don't understand the rules, or don't want to be bothered to understand the rules.
Without a NINO it can make a problem for the Payroll folks.

My advice is to get one ASAP
Preferably before you start working. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigtilly
27th December 2012, 09:55
My ex who is Thai, found a job straight away without a NI# however, I realize that not all employers will be so accommodating.

Terpe
27th December 2012, 10:23
There was a time, some years ago, when employers could create a temporary NINO solely for the purpose of PAYE.
HMRC will no longer accept anything other than an 'official' one.

Whatever the rules say, it's a must to get a NINO asap.
Having said that, I do know that some NI offices at Jobcentres can be reluctant.
Confusion reigns :icon_lol:

It's a funny old world.

Rory
27th December 2012, 18:02
I have made an appointment for my wife's NI number. They will not do it by post so we have to go in to York. Sooner the better i think. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory
27th December 2012, 18:10
Yes, Rory. I'm so pleased to learn that you're wife has made it to UK and ready to enjoy here first Christmas here. :Jump:

Maybe I missed that good news. Anyway better late than never.

Have a great time together 2013 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks mate, we submitted the documents for visa in October, took 10 days only :smile: There is a thread in "celebrations" somewhere.