PDA

View Full Version : RH Bill passed at last

BoholoX
29th December 2012, 11:14
Only taken 14 years. Personally I think it's good news but I don't think the Bishops have finished just yet.....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20863691

Arthur Little
29th December 2012, 11:18
Only taken 14 years. Personally I think it's good news but I don't think the Bishops have finished just yet.....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20863691

... bugger the bishops!!! :biggrin:

BoholoX
29th December 2012, 11:19
I think that's what they want you to do :yikes:

Arthur Little
29th December 2012, 11:25
... bugger the bishops!!! :biggrin:

:yeahthat: ... I MEAN it! It's high time the Catholic Church caught up with the 20th century ... never mind the 21st ... and faced the stark facts.

Arthur Little
29th December 2012, 11:35
I think that's what they want you to do :yikes:

:nono-1-1: ... that's a "cardinal" sin!

Iani
29th December 2012, 13:53
Is that the same as "bash the bishop" :Erm:

Iani
29th December 2012, 14:04
Really though, this is ridiculous. I'm not saying I'm religious, I'm not saying I'm not - because I regard religion as both something best not discussed, as it only causes arguments, plus it bores most people.

HOWEVER my feelings are that religion has little to no place in politics. The "church" does a lot of great good in society, comforting people, giving them guidance etc, however that is where it must stop. People must have their choices - and if they choose to use birth control or whatever, it's up to their conscience, and not some guy in a frock. If they are religious then they have to make peace with whichever deity they believe in, if they are not religious, then what right does a church have to make decisions which could lead to serious medical and life issues in that person.
Persuade yes - that gives the choice to the person, dictate.......no a thousand times NO!

Iani
29th December 2012, 14:07
A friend of mine, he worked for years in port control in Ireland. He has some funny stories about condom smugglers, when they couldn't be bought in Ireland. Seriously, people used to try smuggling them in - weighted down binliners of them being dragged under fishing boats was one. Then when they caught the guy - in his 60's, less teeth than a carved pumpkin etc, he said "It's ok, those 8000 condoms are for my own use"

Terpe
29th December 2012, 19:17
....religion has little to no place in politics. .....

I tend to agree with that as an aspiration.

But looking around the world we see that in practice it has a major place in politics.
Religion, and importantly The Catholic Church is inextricably linked to both the political dynasties and the general population.

The 'rank and file' Catholic Church in the Philippines can see and feel first hand why this RH bill is so important, and they actually support it. They see the benefits it can bring everyday in their roles.
Mostly though they will not openly and practically defy the direction of the higher echelons (who are well connected to the political dynasties)

My personal hope is that given time this bill will make a big impact on freedoms, the economy and poverty. I also hope the grass roots church can find a way to promote it's benefits for their individual parishes.
Well that's my hope.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
29th December 2012, 21:25
For those who have a real interest in the politics and the religion please take a look at this writing which provides a very intriging insight into how the Pnoy government may have outmaneuvered the Bishops.
It's really worth a couple of minutes reading

RH and elections: Pols knew there’s no Catholic vote (http://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/18783-rh-and-elections-pols-knew-there#)

BoholoX
29th December 2012, 21:39
Good link, excellent read thanks