PDA

View Full Version : new car

stevewool
29th December 2012, 15:46
yesterday we went to see my daughter up in yorkshire, she was telling me of her friend who has just got a new toyota aygo, £100 a month, 5 years warrenty and they gave her £500 for her old car, yes after 3 years you have alump sum to pay or hand it back or start again, not a bad deal i think if you are after a small car and can afford the £100

grahamw48
29th December 2012, 17:45
Needs a big deposit normally though, doesn't it ? :Erm:

stevewool
29th December 2012, 17:57
no just their old car

grahamw48
29th December 2012, 18:12
They must have a hell of a good credit rating. :biggrin:

RickyR
29th December 2012, 18:58
Another way to look at it is that after three years you've effectively laid out £4100 on a car which will then only be worth about £3500, so it would be curious to know what the final down payment would be for the car. Bought online or purchased pre-registered you can probably buy it new for £6900 or a 1 year old model with <10,000 miles on it and some warranty remaining for about £5000.

Going new, you will almost always get a better deal by finding the best loan you can negotiate with the banks/building societies/online and then going in for a cash purchase either online or with a dealer who pre-registers the cars.

RickyR
29th December 2012, 19:04
That being said, I bought a new car for Marvie (twice, but thats another story), (http://thekoreancarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/4af23a36f12792641cbcbd02f2cc8f96.jpg) mainly for the warranties and security whilst I'm away on deployments, but I seriously think it'll be the last new car I'll ever buy as it just feels like you lose thousands the minute you drive off the forecourt.

Some of the 1 year old ex-lease or rental cars with full warranties can be almost as good as a new vehicle, and a lot of the paid options devalue very quickly so you can find yourself with lots of goodies.

raynaputi
29th December 2012, 19:15
yesterday we went to see my daughter up in yorkshire, she was telling me of her friend who has just got a new toyota aygo, £100 a month, 5 years warrenty and they gave her £500 for her old car, yes after 3 years you have alump sum to pay or hand it back or start again, not a bad deal i think if you are after a small car and can afford the £100

does her friend have Motability? :Erm:

grahamw48
29th December 2012, 19:20
For work use I have always (except for one new car) bought low-mileage used diesels, paid for cash and then run them up to the sort of high miles that they will easily do. Meanwhile saving up for the next one. No interest to pay and it's mine from day one. I usually buy 'unpopular' models and service them myself.

Ako Si Jamie
29th December 2012, 19:46
Yup. Diesels are great. They can easily go around the clock without much in the way of maintenance & repairs.

Slip
29th December 2012, 20:53
Never had a decent car. Currently driving a 1994 Citroen. And have had it for 7 years now and it's only broke down once in that time from a flat battery. Saying that it has it's MOT in February.

Reason I won't get a new car is because at my last mot the bloke was amazed I only did 2000 miles since the last mot. This is normal for me as I run and walk a lot and work locally, I could probably get away without having a car if I had to. So no way would I spend X amount on a car that would sit in my driveway losing value every day.

South-east boy
30th December 2012, 13:56
I guess it depends how much you want to pay for having a new/nearly new car every month. No, you won't have to pay for repairs, but will still have to pay for tyres and brakes etc, but it will cost you £100+ every month for having the luxury of having a new/nearly new car which works out at £1200+ over the year. I have only once spent over that on repairs/maintenance in a year and that was because the gearbox needed rebuilding + the clutch as well. Most years it's just £120-500 depending if I need pairs/sets of tyres.

My current car is 12 years old, but has only done 62k miles and looks nearly new and only cost £2000. I have since spent a few hundred on it getting a few little bits sorted out, but they weren't really needed, it was just for looks/style and I sometimes take it to car shows.

grahamw48
30th December 2012, 14:11
Just sold this one (115+ diesel).
Did 60,000 miles in her in 2 years and sold her for £1000 less than I paid.
Got mileage allowance from work, so well in profit. :smile:
http://imageshack.us/a/img401/5976/mgfront.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/6504/mgside.jpg

grahamw48
30th December 2012, 14:25
Of course that does then allow me to have something more interesting tucked away for the weekend...:biggrin:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/614/mynew390se.jpg

stevewool
30th December 2012, 14:56
very nice Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
30th December 2012, 16:54
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Steve :icon_sorry:...but you know how it is on here, we start wandering off all over the place. :icon_lol:

Dedworth
30th December 2012, 17:04
yes after 3 years you have alump sum to pay or hand it back or start again, not a bad deal i think if you are after a small car and can afford the £100

Depends how big & fat the lump sum is. There are the charges for chips and scuffed wheels to consider also stiff penalties if the mileage is exceeded.

Best to go in with cash or pre arranged finance and knock them down on a nearly new or ex demo - they won't be selling many cars for the next few months

grahamw48
30th December 2012, 17:10
Definitely a buyer's market ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
30th December 2012, 17:37
i am happy with the toyota we have i have had it 13 years and it still looks ok

RickyR
31st December 2012, 10:18
Along the lines of Grahams thread drift, thought I'd share our little vehicle escapades from 2012.

So we started off in January buying this Kia Sorento which we absolutely loved, but in August before we had even managed to put 10,000 km I decided to drive through a sandstorm, and ultimately destroy it...

So in September the insurance paid out and we moved onto the newer version of the Sorento, and this one is the 2.4 petrol, and is probably the best car I've ever owned (even beats my BMW 320 I had in the UK). So far we've driven a few long trips (round trips of 1000km) and been offroad in it and it's been great. Although primarily its Marvies car for the school run.

Then a few weeks back I decided on an early Christmas present, after seeing this little second hand machine for sale online and snapped it up, lots of fun! :-) So this is for me to get to work and back!