PDA

View Full Version : Job advert discrimination not illegal in UAE

joebloggs
4th January 2013, 16:52
or in the Phils from what i've seen :doh
i've seen job ads that you had to be above a certain height, and another that you had to be within a certain age range..

DUBAI // Wanted: qualified receptionist for a social media company. Only attractive women from the Philippines, Russia or Arab countries need apply.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/job-advert-discrimination-not-illegal-in-uae#ixzz2H1SFriKc
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

Tawi2
4th January 2013, 17:01
Only attractive women from the Philippines, Russia or Arab countries need apply.
You only have to wander around manila or read a newspaper to see adverts for salesgirls/GRO's or whatever all defining certain ages,looks etc,I dont think they understand the concept of age-ism,sex-ism or whatever :Erm:

joebloggs
4th January 2013, 17:06
I dont think they understand the concept of age-ism,sex-ism or whatever :Erm:

or vegetarianism :icon_lol:

bigmarco
4th January 2013, 17:15
It's illegal here but I think people find ways around it.
For example Filipina Nannies are very popular and in London. My Wife replied to a job advert that was asking for Tagalog speaking Nanny/Housekeeper. The family are all English and have absolutely no interest in Tagalog.
Hollister are also well known as only employing "pretty people". I've heard my daughters and their friends discussing it. Don't bother applying for a job there unless your Size 12 or below and extremely pretty.
So I think over here it's a case of you can do it but just don't advertise it.

grahamw48
4th January 2013, 17:20
Ageism is probably the most widespread form of discrimination in this country.

All those time-served skilled men now driving parcel delivery vans or drawing dole. :NoNo:

Tawi2
4th January 2013, 17:29
or vegetarianism
I never met a GRO yet who was a veggie,they all liked meat :cwm25:

grahamw48
4th January 2013, 17:36
What's a 'GRO' ? :smile:

Arthur Little
4th January 2013, 17:39
I think it was the Thatcher Government that brought in legislation compelling British employers to ADVERTISE virtually ALL job vacancies - right down to part-time sales assistants in the local corner shop :icon_rolleyes: - supposedly in the interests of creating 'Equal Opportunities'.

I never COULD see the point of this exercise ... :nono-1-1: since - at the end of the day - it did nothing to prevent firms from hiring the persons of their choice regardless. :anerikke:

Tawi2
4th January 2013, 17:42
What's a 'GRO' ?
Guest relations officer AKA buricat AKA prostitute.

grahamw48
4th January 2013, 17:44
I think it was the Thatcher Government that brought in legislation compelling British employers to ADVERTISE virtually ALL job vacancies - right down to part-time sales assistants in the local corner shop :icon_rolleyes: - supposedly in the interests of creating 'Equal Opportunities'.

I never COULD see the point of this exercise ... :nono-1-1: since - at the end of the day - it did nothing to prevent firms from hiring the person of their choice regardless. :anerikke:

Exactly.

Can you see you or me landing a job selling Avon Cosmetics ? :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
4th January 2013, 18:56
here in the uk they hire young people(under 18 , 3.68 min wage) because they are being paid less :Erm:..it doesnt matter if they are beautiful as long as they can do the job or sometimes they cant be bothered to do their job ,....lol ain't it class as descrimination :Erm:

grahamw48
4th January 2013, 19:22
Youngsters were always paid less here though, and there is at least some logic to that.

As for the UAE, well we're talking about a stone-age culture there, just with a glossy camouflage that we civilised countries have provided for them in very recent years, so what can you expect ? :icon_rolleyes:

raynaputi
4th January 2013, 19:49
It has been the same in whatever fields of industry or what country..Flight attendants job postings are like that. They need to have pleasant personalities, they have height requirements, etc. but no one complains. Hotel Receptionists would have the same qualifications. Even newscasters, reporters, models or product endorsers, sales ladies, fast food crews etc. There's discrimination everywhere.

raynaputi
4th January 2013, 20:12
Also, there have been news a few months ago about women employees here in the UK being paid lower than their male colleagues (of the same job levels). That's also discrimination right?

Terpe
4th January 2013, 21:50
If anyone believes that similar discrimination is not alive and well here in UK
just look into the person spec.

Number 1 in my experience is age. :censored: