PDA

View Full Version : what name to use in filling up the form?

Rhose
7th January 2013, 21:26
Hi everyone!! :Hellooo: I'm confused on what name I'm going to use in filling up a form for employment and bank. I'm still using my maiden name on my passport, should I use my name on passport or should I change it as my husband surname? Thank you!!

Terpe
7th January 2013, 21:33
Hi everyone!! :Hellooo: I'm confused on what name I'm going to use in filling up a form for employment and bank. I'm still using my maiden name on my passport, should I use my name on passport or should I change it as my husband surname? Thank you!!

Well in principle it's your choice. There is no UK legal ruling on what name you use.
The bank and any employers may have specific requirements. But you have a passport and you have a marriage certificate which are the key documents to any audit trail.

There's really no need to change the passport until renewal.
Keep things as simple as possible. Just decide what name you will use and stick to it.
Less complicated the better and easier.

Michael Parnham
7th January 2013, 21:42
I would recommend using your married name for everything, and get your married name on your passport as Terpe suggested! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rhose
7th January 2013, 21:44
Thank you Terpe and Michael!! will follow what you said and can use it for future :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
7th January 2013, 21:52
Thank you Terpe and Michael!! will follow what you said and can use it for future :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just avoid using your married name for some things and your maiden name for others. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rhose
7th January 2013, 21:58
Just avoid using your married name for some things and your maiden name for others. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I will, I'll use one name and it's my married name

vernier caliper
8th January 2013, 01:57
Hi Rhose. Some issues i thought you might be interested. Let say this is your personal info:
First Name: Rhose
Middle/Given Name: Guess
Last Name: What
Husband Last Name: Who

Q: What name is reflected on your Biometric Residence Card?

A: Rhose Guess What - Definitely it's your maiden name since your passport is still on your maiden name.

Q: What name you have given/used on your National Insurance Number (NINO)?

A1: Rhose Guess What - I assume its your maiden name since both passport and BRP are in your maiden name. OR

A2: Rhose Guess Who - since you are married and you prefer to use your husband last name. Acceptable but its not advisable to be used at the moment. If you can see Rhose Guess is used and not Rhose What. Remember our name is viewed differently. In general, British second name is equivalent to our middle/given name which is actually our mom's maiden name.

Q: What name to be used on your employment application?

A: Rhose Guess What - I suggest since it's matching with your passport, BRP and NINO. Remember once you get employed and paid - NINO is connected.

Q: What name to be used to open an account?

A1: Rhose Guess What - I suggest based on your passport and BRP.

A2: Rhose Guess Who - Using husband's last name. Again, it's Rhose Guess and not Rhose What.

You cannot argue with NINO or to the bank to use Rhose What Who unless you could provide your passport or BRP on this name. I would like you to realize that using Rhose Guess Who is not favorable. You will soon renew your passport & BRP and it will be named Rhose What Who. I strongly believe that Rhose Guess What or your maiden name is the best to be used at this point of time. To be consistent is important technically speaking.

ConfusedMe
8th January 2013, 03:44
Hi Rhose. Some issues i thought you might be interested. Let say this is your personal info:
First Name: Rhose
Middle/Given Name: Guess
Last Name: What
Husband Last Name: Who

Q: What name is reflected on your Biometric Residence Card?

A: Rhose Guess What - Definitely it's your maiden name since your passport is still on your maiden name.

Q: What name you have given/used on your National Insurance Number (NINO)?

A1: Rhose Guess What - I assume its your maiden name since both passport and BRP are in your maiden name. OR

A2: Rhose Guess Who - since you are married and you prefer to use your husband last name. Acceptable but its not advisable to be used at the moment. If you can see Rhose Guess is used and not Rhose What. Remember our name is viewed differently. In general, British second name is equivalent to our middle/given name which is actually our mom's maiden name.

Q: What name to be used on your employment application?

A: Rhose Guess What - I suggest since it's matching with your passport, BRP and NINO. Remember once you get employed and paid - NINO is connected.

Q: What name to be used to open an account?

A1: Rhose Guess What - I suggest based on your passport and BRP.

A2: Rhose Guess Who - Using husband's last name. Again, it's Rhose Guess and not Rhose What.

You cannot argue with NINO or to the bank to use Rhose What Who unless you could provide your passport or BRP on this name. I would like you to realize that using Rhose Guess Who is not favorable. You will soon renew your passport & BRP and it will be named Rhose What Who. I strongly believe that Rhose Guess What or your maiden name is the best to be used at this point of time. To be consistent is important technically speaking.

I can relate to this. I use my husband's family name for my documents but the bank and NINO will only change the family name and not my middle name. And my passport reflects my maiden name.

So not to complicate things, it is better to use the name in your passport (including your middle and family name). Just speaking based on experience. :smile:

ConfusedMe
8th January 2013, 03:53
If you really want to use your husband's family name and change your middle name to your family name (complicated huh ?), after you are successful with your spousal visa,
- go to Phil. Embassy and apply for new passport using your new name
- you have to submit REPORT of MARRIAGE together with your passport applicaiton
- wait til they send you your new passport
- apply for BRP. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/196971/formbrp1020091.pdf
- you undergo the same process as applying for Spousal visa... (biometric, waiting for it to arrive)

This is what I did, and guess what, I waited 7 months before I got my new biometric... I will not recommend you to go through it. It's a stressful waiting process. :cwm25: