PDA

View Full Version : Life in the UK Handbook - Esol - Citizenship

queenie
7th January 2013, 23:47
Hi guys!

I need your help this time. I'm confused regarding this 2 handbooks. I've seen in the UK border agency site that the "Life in the United Kingdom handbook 2nd edition" is the only official handbook for the Life in the UK test. :doh What about this "Life in the UK Test: Study Guide 2012 by Henry Dillon? which book is better? I heard about ESOL as well. Do i have to take ESOL before taking the life in the UK test or before applying for a BRITISH citizenship. I've got my IELTS ( International English language test system) certificate when I applied for my spouse visa, do i still need to take up ESOL? :)

Thanks guys. Your help is much appreciated....:)

sars_notd_virus
8th January 2013, 00:02
when did u arrive in the uk??...:Erm:

queenie
8th January 2013, 00:03
july 2011 but i'm planning to take my life in the uk test soon :)

raynaputi
8th January 2013, 00:07
This is the website of the official book for Life in the UK test.

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1278112&DI=630551&TRACKID=002417

You don't have to buy all the books but the Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship - 2nd Edition is where the questions in the test come from.

sars_notd_virus
8th January 2013, 00:11
july 2011 but i'm planning to take my life in the uk test soon :)

go for it, you'll be fine...its easy peasy lemon squeezy, I test took well mine grammer good happy me make:biggrin::Erm::icon_lol::icon_lol:

queenie
8th January 2013, 00:12
thanks so much .. so this "Life in the United Kingdom handbook 2nd edition" is more recommended than life in the uk test 2012? :) what about taking up ESOL?

queenie
8th January 2013, 18:16
thanks very much...just ordered the books... But am confused...Do i need to take an ESOL test as well or is that built into the LIFE IN THE UK TEST? i have already passed a IELTS Test when i came from Bahrain...Even the guy at the Uk border agency was confused by my question!!! hehe :cwm3:

raynaputi
8th January 2013, 19:06
When will you apply your ILR? If it's before October 2013, you don't need to get an English Test. If after that date, then you need to get a new English test if your IELTS result is already expired. Starting October 2013, all settlement visa applicants need to show they pass a valid English Test with level B1 grade and Life in the UK Test.

queenie
8th January 2013, 20:17
thanks for your help... my Ielts will be expired by then but i will apply my ilr first week of july :)..

joebloggs
8th January 2013, 21:58
thanks so much .. so this "Life in the United Kingdom handbook 2nd edition" is more recommended than life in the uk test 2012? :) what about taking up ESOL?

where have you seen ESOL mentioned was it to do with the 'life in uk' test ?. if you don't think you could pass the 'life in uk' test you could have taken an ESOL course which included citizenship materials instead, but most filipina's i dont think would need to, the course could run for months..

this is different from the 'English language' requirement.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/kol/esol-with-citizenship/

Michael Parnham
8th January 2013, 22:16
My Maritess spouse 'visa' expires 17/08/2014 her Ielts pass was 09/04/2012 and shows no expiry date, so she will be applying for her ILR approx May 2014 is that correct?

raynaputi
8th January 2013, 22:46
My Maritess spouse 'visa' expires 17/08/2014 her Ielts pass was 09/04/2012 and shows no expiry date, so she will be applying for her ILR approx May 2014 is that correct?

Check through the test provider if there's an expiry date. As far as I know, IELTS is only valid for 2 years. It also shows in the list of English test from UKBA site (IELTS is on page 15 http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf).

Michael Parnham
8th January 2013, 22:57
So has she to do another IELTS?

raynaputi
8th January 2013, 23:10
So has she to do another IELTS?

If her IELTS result would be expired by the time she would apply for ILR, she has to take another test and must get a B1 level grade.

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 09:18
So really that means that everyone who has done IELTS has to take another test because you need IELTS to get your 'visa' and bythe time you recieve your 'visa' the two years certificate is no good anyway because theres no way you can have an IELTS certificate thats valid by the time you apply for your ILR. A waste of time having an IELTS certificate thats valid for two years, so now had better start looking where to find a local IELTS review centre find out the cost and how far to travel each day for three months, also if my wife is working at the time of review she will need three months off work surely. Has anyone else had to take a second IELTS test? would be interested to know please!:anerikke:

Terpe
9th January 2013, 10:14
The IELTS test certificate has a validity of 2 years.

Maritess can apply for ILR 28 days in advance of her 24 months anniversary of living in UK.

Just for info here is the latest UKBA approved English test listing
(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf )

You'll notice there are quite few different tests and different providers that can be used. Doesn't need to be IELTS if that proves to be inconvenient.

Does Maritess already have a Life in UK pass?

The UKBA plan is to introduce a new and slightly different Life in UK test October 2013 in addition to a new pass level in the English test to B1.
I doubt that Maritess will find that an issue as IELTS is already a minimum B1 level.

raynaputi
9th January 2013, 10:23
So really that means that everyone who has done IELTS has to take another test because you need IELTS to get your 'visa' and bythe time you recieve your 'visa' the two years certificate is no good anyway because theres no way you can have an IELTS certificate thats valid by the time you apply for your ILR. A waste of time having an IELTS certificate thats valid for two years, so now had better start looking where to find a local IELTS review centre find out the cost and how far to travel each day for three months, also if my wife is working at the time of review she will need three months off work surely. Has anyone else had to take a second IELTS test? would be interested to know please!:anerikke:

Why would Maritess need to attend review classes in review centre? She shouldn't need to attend review classes for IELTS. She can only do that if in 2 years of being here in the UK, she still can't speak good English (which I doubt). I checked for IELTS price and it's £135.

I plan on taking PET as this exam won't have any expiration. Although it still depends on which price is cheaper :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 10:32
Hi Terpe, thankyou for coming back to me on this subject, Maritess arrived here 6/6/12 and her Ielts certificate was issued 9/4/2012. I have just looked at the ILR application form on UKBA website and it says that you only need to provide proof of Life in the UK or ESOL, it does not mention Ielts at all. Maritess plans to apply for her Life in the UK test during febuary this year. I would be grateful if you can explain as simply as possible exactly what is required at the time we will be applying for my wifes ILR !!

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 10:36
Thanks fo your help also, raynaputi :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th January 2013, 11:03
Hi Terpe, thankyou for coming back to me on this subject, Maritess arrived here 6/6/12 and her Ielts certificate was issued 9/4/2012. I have just looked at the ILR application form on UKBA website and it says that you only need to provide proof of Life in the UK or ESOL, it does not mention Ielts at all. Maritess plans to apply for her Life in the UK test during febuary this year. I would be grateful if you can explain as simply as possible exactly what is required at the time we will be applying for my wifes ILR !!

Based on Maritess's arrival on 06/06/2012 she would be eligible to apply for ILR on either May 9th 2014 by postal app or May 12th by PEO (28 days before her 24 month anniversary)

Michael, sorry to say that I can't say what is required for ILR applications in May 2014. Plenty of things can change.

I can only inform about UKBA declared plans for implementing a new Life in UK test for October 2013 and also for an additional planned new English Language test level of B1 introduced at the same time.

Currently a pass in Life in UK automatically means English Language proficiency at level A1. It's a computer based multiple choice test.
Means the applicant must be able to use a computer and must be able to read and understand the questions.

Once the new rules are implemented in October we'll all have a better idea.

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 12:13
Thanks Terpe, would you think it advisable to contiue with the 'Life in uk test' next month, or would it be better to wait until after October :Erm:

Terpe
9th January 2013, 12:25
Thanks Terpe, would you think it advisable to contiue with the 'Life in uk test' next month, or would it be better to wait until after October :Erm:

Just a personal opinion, but I'd go ahead and get that Life in UK pass done and dusted.
The worst case scenario is UKBA will be real hard-headed and insist on the new test for all ILR applications after October. I don't think that's likely but...........UKBA :Erm:

I believe that for a certain transition period the applicants will be able to choose which test to take (especially as they've been preparing already)

I also think that the submission of a pass certificate for visa will also be given a transitional period..

Sort of like old rules versus new rules.

Just my thinking.

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 12:34
Thankyou so much Terp, I don't know what some of the members would do without you. Will take your advice and cross other bridges as we come to them :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
9th January 2013, 12:35
Sorry about the spelling error Terpe:wink:

Terpe
9th January 2013, 12:41
Sorry about the spelling error Terpe:wink:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

That's OK
My real name is Peter.

Rory
10th April 2013, 13:27
After 25 March 2013 the Book ... Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship - 2nd Edition is still the right book to buy before sitting the test before October 2013?

raynaputi
10th April 2013, 13:50
After 25 March 2013 the Book ... Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship - 2nd Edition is still the right book to buy before sitting the test before October 2013?

No. There is a new book for the new test. Here it is.. http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1240167&trackid=002353 (http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1240167&trackid=002353)

Rory
11th April 2013, 01:05
Thank you for the link. :smile: