PDA

View Full Version : Letter From Mark Harper MP

sheldon1
18th January 2013, 14:19
I recently wrote to my MP. This was to outline my concerns regarding the new Immigration Threshold and how it is affecting families. Also i underlined my concern's to what flexibility the ECO would have regarding the issue i have with a zero hours contract. I underlined the bit about the Employer letter and not been able to confirm the salary etc. Also would they consider my overtime towards my application.

Today i received a reply. The whole letter is just a repeat of what we already know regarding the Migration Advisory Committee etc. But the last paragraph reads.. I am afraid i am unable to comment on individual cases and should add that each application is considered on its merits. Entry Clearance Officers (ECO'S) Ensure all checks have been carried out and the results acted on. They are clear about what the application is for and identify the relevant provisions of the Rules and ensure that the current version of the Immigration Rules is used.

I should add that ECO's can not exercise any discretion or flexibility with regard to the level of the financial requirement.

Mark Harper MP

Any Comments? Terpe. or Joe. Anyone ?

Sheldon
:anerikke:

Steve.r
18th January 2013, 14:32
Sorry Sheldon, but that is the standard 'towing the line' rubbish that you get from gutless politicians in our country. No help whatsoever. :Brick:

Dedworth
18th January 2013, 15:57
I'd request him to put the party line aside and ask if he feels it morally right that a Romanian criminal can bring his non EU spouse to the UK without let or hindrance whereas a law abiding, tax paying British subject cannot :angry:

stevie c
18th January 2013, 16:08
And I would also ask him is it right that an Eastern European can bring his non EU spouse to the uk & go straight to the top of the housing list & claim all the benefits possible as soon as they step in uk soil :cwm23:

Arthur Little
18th January 2013, 16:31
And I would also ask him is it right that an Eastern European can bring his non EU spouse to the uk ...

... and FREE OF CHARGE, too!! :furious3:

stevie c
18th January 2013, 16:41

Yes Arthur all at the tax payers expense :crazy:

Arthur Little
18th January 2013, 16:53

:poke: ... if ANYTHING ever amounted to a FLAGRANT breach of the basic principles of the European Court of Human Rights, it's that ... :yeahthat: ... surely!

Arthur Little
18th January 2013, 17:00
Yes Arthur all at the tax payers expense :crazy:

Indeed, Stevie ... :iagree:!

joebloggs
18th January 2013, 19:44
And I would also ask him is it right that an Eastern European can bring his non EU spouse to the uk & go straight to the top of the housing list & claim all the benefits possible as soon as they step in uk soil :cwm23:

if they have kids, the council has a legal obligation to house them if they are homeless meaning those British citizens in the queue who've been waiting years will have to wait longer :NoNo:

Terpe
19th January 2013, 11:43
I recently wrote to my MP. This was to outline my concerns regarding the new Immigration Threshold and how it is affecting families. Also i underlined my concern's to what flexibility the ECO would have regarding the issue i have with a zero hours contract. I underlined the bit about the Employer letter and not been able to confirm the salary etc. Also would they consider my overtime towards my application.

Today i received a reply. The whole letter is just a repeat of what we already know regarding the Migration Advisory Committee etc. But the last paragraph reads.. I am afraid i am unable to comment on individual cases and should add that each application is considered on its merits. Entry Clearance Officers (ECO'S) Ensure all checks have been carried out and the results acted on. They are clear about what the application is for and identify the relevant provisions of the Rules and ensure that the current version of the Immigration Rules is used.

I should add that ECO's can not exercise any discretion or flexibility with regard to the level of the financial requirement.

Mark Harper MP

Any Comments? Terpe. or Joe. Anyone ?

Sheldon
:anerikke:

Firstly Sheldon, I respect your motivation and effort to seek out your MP and to challenge him/her on the current immigration rules (and also the current UKBA abysmal performance levels!!!)

I would certainly urge anyone to do the same. Regardless of anecdotal reports of likely response.

Secondly, I'm sorry to hear that you actually received a highly predictable regurgitation of the current immigration law/rules.
Pity there was no creativity or personalisation in the reply.

I still would always suggest to involve your MP. That's what they are there for.

Dedworth
19th January 2013, 23:05
I agree with Terpe's post #10 above - why not arrange to meet Harper ?

Arthur Little
19th January 2013, 23:15
I agree with Terpe's post #10 above - why not arrange to meet Harper ?

Me too ... keep "harping-on" :poke: until he does what he's paid to do - namely, seek proper justice on behalf of constituents who played their part in electing him in the first place.

Dedworth
19th January 2013, 23:32
I've just read that Harper is Immigration Minister

Arthur Little
19th January 2013, 23:47
I've just read that Harper is Immigration Minister

So WHAT ... :anerikke: ... all the MORE reason to mount a challenge! :biggrin: Sooner someone takes a stand, the better!

sheldon1
20th January 2013, 16:04
I am awaiting the outcome of my Wife's visa application. If it is not positive then i can assure you that i will fight it until i have no fight left in me. I don't want to HARP on (please pardon the pun) There is no point in me surviving in this country if i cannot be with my wife and kids. I have never shared a Christmas with them. But i feel i have at least a chance because i do earn the required threshold. But my issue is proving it. I did read that there is a mother of a man taking this very issue to Westminster next week. I do not know the full story.
The issue how we deal with Immigration will go on and on. And it will take bigger person than me to try and resolve it. But there is no compassion at all shown by this Government. Families are suffering.
I can't see it getting any better.

But we do have this forum. We can tell each other how we feel. We can share each other's fortune's, and share each other's misery. It reminds us all, how decent and hard working we all are. And the only wrong we have committed is to fall in love in another country. Every day i have to tell my Wife and children it will be Ok you will be here soon. When i put down the phone down i weep. I can't bear anymore video chat it's just too hard now.

Once again i am sorry to go on and on about me and my problems. But i know that you Understand and you are more qualified to listen than most folk that i meet.

Sheldon

andy222
20th January 2013, 16:18
Dont be sorry sheldon it is very stressful. I think when your in this situation you think of all the negative things. If there is any justice you will get the right outcome.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
21st January 2013, 01:01
I can only agree with Andy, and others. It's hard to do so at the moment, it is all too easy to think on the negative, but we just don't know until that decision is made.

So I don't know, and I don't ever want to get anyone's hopes up for no reason, however after reading the rules again - for the fifth time at the least - it does seem to suggest zero hours contracts can be considered, even if this wording is very ambiguous, as it mentions in other areas "variable" hours.

That e-mail I got which I posted in some other thread, that is also extremely ambiguous, however that even seemed to remotely suggest that the annual salary declaration is something they might be able to use discretion on - where an annual salary could be proved by other means.

Dammit, you meet their blasted criteria, you earn well over their income requirement, it is beyond ridiculous they might refuse you or anyone else on a similar contractual basis.

We just don't know - and the fact that no-one will give a straight answer suggests "they" don't either.

Anyway, fella just try keep your sanity. I'm another bloke and I'm useless at this support type of thing.
You're in the same town as me mind, if you need a chat, do feel free to buzz me.

sheldon1
21st January 2013, 05:15
Yes we must get in touch. If you would like. That would be great.
Sheldon.

andy222
21st January 2013, 06:46
In my case i have a permanent contract but it will show that I do not meet the financial criteria for my stated hours. But I will be able to prove that I can meet the criteria with overtime and unsociable hour payments. Like has been said its a load of tosh. Very debatable.