PDA

View Full Version : UKBA's Horrifying Letter

jlags90
28th January 2013, 18:41
Hello Everyone!

This thread might be more of a RANT but I think some could shed light in this matter. :Erm:
I have received the most horrifying and awful letter today from UKBA. I couldn't believe the service!

Well, here is an extract of the letter. I won't write everything as it just makes me weep :bigcry:.
Some things are worth noting as well.

The letter talks about MS. JONA TABANAG RAGNASON (my passport clearly says I am JONA TABAŅAG LAGNASON. I do not think it is a typo since RAGNASON is all over the letter! :Brick:

Well, here is the worse!

To help them CONSIDER my application, they need the ORIGINAL copies of these documents (photocopies are NOT ACCEPTABLE!)

1. Fully completed FLR(M) form 12/2012 version.
*Will I need to complete the payment section AGAIN?

2. WAGE SLIPS:Brick: covering 6 months for: ME!
*WHAT? --- Do they not know THEY DO NOT ALLOW ME TO WORK? :Brick:

3. EMPLOYER'S LETTER for ME!
*Is this a JOKE?

4. ORIGINAL detailed bank statements covering the last SIX MONTHS from ME!
*I can't even open one because I don't have my passport!

5. Original bank statements of my HUSBAND.
*Yes, back to square one -- we have these so it's not a problem :cwm25:

6. Most recent Council Tax Bill.
* My husband pays by Direct Debit. Is there a way to get hold of a paper statement?

7. Further Documentary evidence from January 2011 to January 2013 for myself and from 24 January 2011 to 24 January 2013 for my spouse, or addressed jointly to both of us. The dates of these should spread over the whole 2 year period. How can this be if I have just arrived in the UK in 2012? :Brick:

Oh well! I will just keep :Brick::Brick::Brick:! How will I address this problem?

Dedworth
28th January 2013, 18:46
Take this inept and sloppy service up with your MP and copy it to 'mayt@parliament.uk'

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 18:51
They've obviously got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Tosspots. :NoNo:

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:00
Take this inept and sloppy service up with your MP and copy it to 'mayt@parliament.uk'

The thing is: We might not have much time to take the matter to our local MP because they have given us limited time to respond to the issue. (like couple of weeks)

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:02
They've obviously got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Tosspots. :NoNo:

:cwm25: Indeed. Do you think writing a cover letter with the reply suffice? (e.g. point out that I am NOT ALLOWED to WORK with a FIANCEE visa so it is IMPOSSIBLE to secure wage slips and letter from the employer)

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 19:12
Yes, write immediately, pointing out that they are obviously confused about the type of application you have submitted, and to kindly re-check their records. :icon_rolleyes:
I would also phone them.

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 19:16
Oh, and remember to make copies of all correspondence.

I would take a good quality DATED photo of that letter you've just received.

raynaputi
28th January 2013, 19:18
Tsktsk..UKBA is really one crap agency! :cwm23: You better give them a call as they might have confused you for a wrong application. :doh

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:21
Yes, write immediately, pointing out that they are obviously confused about the type of application you have submitted, and to kindly re-check their records. :icon_rolleyes:
I would also phone them.

Oh, and remember to make copies of all correspondence.

I would take a good quality DATED photo of that letter you've just received.

Thanks a lot Graham. I will do that. Might as well scan these. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:23
Tsktsk..UKBA is really one crap agency! :cwm23: You better give them a call as they might have confused you for a wrong application. :doh

Hi Rayna,

Is there a way to get to talk to them? We have tried before but failed to connect because my application isn't 6 mos old.

Terpe
28th January 2013, 19:33
:cwm25:Indeed. Do you think writing a cover letter with the reply suffice? (e.g. point out that I am NOT ALLOWED to WORK with a FIANCEE visa so it is IMPOSSIBLE to secure wage slips and letter from the employer)

You must send a reply to UKBA by registered post (keep a copy of all correspondence)
You need to clearly state that they have an incorrect name for you.
You must also state that you came to UK on a Fiance(e) Visa and you have submitted your FLR(M) as such you are not allowed to work so are unable to provide any of the evidences they requested.

Tell them their letter is both disturbing and upsetting, that the person who sent it needs re-training and that you are making a formal complaint and require an apology and a management reply.
Mention that you will immediately seek the assistance and support of your MP and that you will be involving the Ombudsman and the Minister for Immigration. etc etc

By the way once you've sent the letter you must involve your MP and all those others.
You must give this activity priority and maintain a control on this.

What a complete shower. :cwm23:

Don't waste any time composing a long convoluted letter. Keep it short and concise. Even bullet points is enough.

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 19:35
Thanks a lot Graham. I will do that. Might as well scan these.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'd still take a DATED photo of the actual letter. It is proof of receipt and WHEN you actually received it...plus the envelope if you still have it. If ever you go to court this sort of thing is important evidence.

Civil servants can be fussy about such details (I used to be one at HQ in London). Every letter we received was date stamped as soon as we got it.

You need to be ready to play them at their own game.

raynaputi
28th January 2013, 19:37
This is really a disgrace :NoNo:. On the letter, did it say there who is handling your case? Is there any name signed on it?

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:44
You must send a reply to UKBA by registered post (keep a copy of all correspondence)
You need to clearly state that they have an incorrect name for you.
You must also state that you came to UK on a Fiance(e) Visa and you have submitted your FLR(M) as such you are not allowed to work so are unable to provide any of the evidences they requested.

Tell them their letter is both disturbing and upsetting, that the person who sent it needs re-training and that you are making a formal complaint and require an apology and a management reply.
Mention that you will immediately seek the assistance and support of your MP and that you will be involving the Ombudsman and the Minister for Immigration. etc etc

By the way once you've sent the letter you must involve your MP and all those others.
You must give this activity priority and maintain a control on this.

What a complete shower. :cwm23:

Don't waste any time composing a long convoluted letter. Keep it short and concise. Even bullet points is enough.

Thanks a lot Terpe. I have been collecting names and contact details of the people you have mentioned so we can get this going once David arrives home.

Terpe
28th January 2013, 19:45
Graham's advice is good. I can tell you the Civil Service 'post rooms' still do stamp every piece of post.

Unless you have a name and direct line number to that name, do not waste any time calling. Get your letter sent with proof of sending and by a route that requires a signature on delivery.

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:46
I'd still take a DATED photo of the actual letter. It is proof of receipt and WHEN you actually received it...plus the envelope if you still have it. If ever you go to court this sort of thing is important evidence.

Civil servants can be fussy about such details (I used to be one at HQ in London). Every letter we received was date stamped as soon as we got it.

You need to be ready to play them at their own game.

Thanks a lot Graham. Will do that NOW... I like this part -- gathering evidence as if I am a detective.:biggrin:

jlags90
28th January 2013, 19:50
This is really a disgrace :NoNo:. On the letter, did it say there who is handling your case? Is there any name signed on it?

NO:Brick:. There was no phone number included in the letter. It is quiet interesting that the name of the person who wrote the letter is not in the letter as well. There is FAX part but it said UPON REQUEST...:Brick:

Graham's advice is good. I can tell you the Civil Service 'post rooms' still do stamp every piece of post.

Unless you have a name and direct line number to that name, do not waste any time calling. Get your letter sent with proof of sending and by a route that requires a signature on delivery.

I do not have a direct line so will send the letter and other documents that we have via Recorded/Signed For Delivery. Thanks a lot for your help.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
28th January 2013, 19:58
On the letter, did it say there who is handling your case? Is there any name signed on it?

:gp:, Rayna ... and all the best in getting the matter resolved asap, Jona. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th January 2013, 20:05
Stay positive always and keep the pressure on.
Tell them you expect a response with 10 working days.
If you don't a reply get send off another letter with a copy of the previous one.
Always demand a reply from a manager.

You have time to make a great job, just keep the pressure on them all. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ask them to let you know their performance targets for responding to customer letters. That's always a good one.
It used to be 10 days for letter and 15 days for a formal compliant

raynaputi
28th January 2013, 20:42
I advice that you involve your MP right away. I have read from another website that when UKBA requested for them to send more documents, they saw this message ''Your item with reference A*************GB has reached its PO Box and is awaiting collection/delivery.'' for 3 days or more even if they sent the documents on special delivery. I'm not sure if you have to send the documents they are requesting to a PO Box, but you need to inform your MP about instances like this. Your MP would have direct contact to a person in the UKBA rather than just a PO Box or someone that would receive it at the gate/door.

raynaputi
28th January 2013, 20:47

Ask them to let you know their performance targets for responding to customer letters. That's always a good one.
It used to be 10 days for letter and 15 days for a formal compliant

From the acknowledgment letters that my MP and I got (inquiries and formal complaints), UKBA are saying that they can respond in 20 working days. Their first response to my MP took a month to get a response and my last complaint, I'm still currently waiting for it too! They were supposed to reply to me on 18th Dec. 2012 but up to now, I heard nothing. My MP wrote again on 9th January 2013 to them and they're still waiting for a response.

imagine
28th January 2013, 21:26
jlags, i can't believe what im reading, who do they employ ? chimpanzee's :Erm: remember that they are in the wrong, so any worry or stress they cause you, use it as your whip to crack back at them,:xxaction-smiley-047

Terpe
28th January 2013, 21:34
From the acknowledgment letters that my MP and I got (inquiries and formal complaints), UKBA are saying that they can respond in 20 working days. Their first response to my MP took a month to get a response and my last complaint, I'm still currently waiting for it too! They were supposed to reply to me on 18th Dec. 2012 but up to now, I heard nothing. My MP wrote again on 9th January 2013 to them and they're still waiting for a response.

Yeah, seems I'm not surprised about that.
It's been 3 years now since I had any direct involvement and OMG whatever happened :doh
I feel ashamed to admit any connection at all.:NoNo:

Dedworth
28th January 2013, 21:52
The thing is: We might not have much time to take the matter to our local MP because they have given us limited time to respond to the issue. (like couple of weeks)

Phone up your MP's office and arrange to see him at his local surgery (they usually have them once/twice a month on a Saturday)- you might be able to organise it quickly, on the other hand the loafer is probably still on his Xmas holidays

Terpe
28th January 2013, 21:57
Phone up your MP's office and arrange to see him at his local surgery (they usually have them once/twice a month on a Saturday)- you might be able to organise it quickly, on the other hand the loafer is probably still on his Xmas holidays

Totally agree.
MP must be involved. That's why they are there

angellegwen
28th January 2013, 22:03
In my opinion, handle them calmly and politely coz you're dealing with people who are massively understaffed as can be seen from the time it is taking to process visas, address all the points in the letter, correct them when they're wrong ie name. You never get the best out of somebody if you will antagonize them (that's my opinion anyways) maybe you will be dealt more harshly.

as for the version of flr(m) used, i think there are 3 versions - july, sept and december - if you applied before december (the 12th december was it? can't recall the date the new form came in) then the previous version is the right one, if you applied after the date the new one came in then u used an old form, i doubt you need to pay again as they haven't rejected your application.

I hope eveything goes well after you respond to them,best luck!

joebloggs
28th January 2013, 23:02
It could be a typo, i've had letters from UKBA where they made mistakes like this :doh, possible they've mixed yours and someone elses app up :crazy:
better phoning them and asking them about it, but keep everything :doh

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 23:28
They seem to have confused the young lady with a SPONSOR. :icon_rolleyes:

Iani
29th January 2013, 01:29
Really sorry to hear you're getting this sort of rubbish service, just who do they think they are!

Just looked up your mp, it's someone called Craig Whittaker. I could say a few things here, but best not!

Here is his contact page http://craigwhittakermp.wordpress.com/surgeries/

Hope you can get this sorted.

grahamw48
29th January 2013, 01:34
Very helpful. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Give the man rep someone ! (I can't give again so soon) .

Arthur Little
29th January 2013, 01:40
who do they employ ? chimpanzees

:nono-1-1: ... chimps have more intelligence, Stewart!

Arthur Little
29th January 2013, 01:46
Very helpful. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Give the man rep someone ! (I can't give again so soon) .

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Graham ... I've awarded Ian rep on your behalf.

grahamw48
29th January 2013, 01:50
Thanks Arthur. :xxgrinning--00xx3:....time for bed. :NEW5:

raynaputi
29th January 2013, 10:52
It could be a typo, i've had letters from UKBA where they made mistakes like this :doh, possible they've mixed yours and someone elses app up :crazy:
better phoning them and asking them about it, but keep everything :doh

The letter that my MP got from UKBA got lots of typo error! Wrong spelling of my surname, calling me mister, stating the wrong dates of my application...they can't even do a very simple job of copy and paste!!!:doh

MissAna
29th January 2013, 10:53
sorry to here about what happened :NoNo:. i agree with others here, it must be a mistake . even the name in the letter is wrong :doh so better let them know about it ASAP!

Dedworth
29th January 2013, 11:01
The letter that my MP got from UKBA got lots of typo error! Wrong spelling of my surname, calling me mister, stating the wrong dates of my application...they can't even do a very simple job of copy and paste!!!:doh

Further confirmation of the farcical operation the UKBA is

imagine
29th January 2013, 18:40
:nono-1-1: ... chimps have more intelligence, Stewart!

probably they would do a better job :biggrin:

jlags90
1st February 2013, 16:38
Hi Everyone:biggrin:

Been battling with this issue these past few days.

Just a quick update:Erm:

We have got in touch with our Local MP. Thanks Iani for the link. We sent him a copy of UKBA's letter and our response letter to UKBA and he made few comments on it. He recommended removing the last paragraph which talks about seeking assistance from him or Ombudsman - he said, we will send another letter once we don't get an adequate response from UKBA.

We have sent the completed FLR(M) Form and additional Bank Statements and Proof of Cohabitation. Thanks a lot for your help.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
1st February 2013, 17:21
probably they would do a better job :biggrin:

Yes ... :iagree: ... and, paradoxically, :icon_rolleyes: ... with a lot less "monkey business". :biggrin:

Dedworth
1st February 2013, 17:28
He recommended removing the last paragraph which talks about seeking assistance from him or Ombudsman - he said, we will send another letter once we don't get an adequate response from UKBA.

Sounds like he's a shirker who doesn't want to get involved

As per my post # 24 make an appointment and front up to him

Terpe
1st February 2013, 21:46
Sounds like he's a shirker who doesn't want to get involved

As per my post # 24 make an appointment and front up to him

On the face of it I have to agree.
Why would he not want to push to the edge ????

Anyway Jay, I do wish you the very best of luck with this. Just remember the MP is serving you. Not the opposite.

jlags90
1st February 2013, 21:53
On the face of it I have to agree.
Why would he not want to push to the edge ????

Anyway Jay, I do wish you the very best of luck with this. Just remember the MP is serving you. Not the opposite.

Thanks a lot Sirs Terpe and Dedworth.
We have booked to see him in his local surgery next Friday so he could see the documentations and plan the next steps if we do not get an adequate response by then. :icon_rolleyes: I just hope this stress will be over as soon as possible.

Dedworth
3rd February 2013, 16:55
Thanks a lot Sirs Terpe and Dedworth.
We have booked to see him in his local surgery next Friday so he could see the documentations and plan the next steps if we do not get an adequate response by then. :icon_rolleyes: I just hope this stress will be over as soon as possible.

Well done you are one of the few members in my time on this forum who has shown the determination to arrange a meet with their MP :appl:

- don't put up with any crap from him. Rather than him just saying he will write to the Minister see how you get on by demanding that he meets the Minister. Make sure he is aware that you will be publicising to the world via this forum his action/inaction.

andy222
3rd February 2013, 17:53
Sue the b^^^^^ds.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jlags90
5th February 2013, 15:13
Well done you are one of the few members in my time on this forum who has shown the determination to arrange a meet with their MP :appl:

- don't put up with any crap from him. Rather than him just saying he will write to the Minister see how you get on by demanding that he meets the Minister. Make sure he is aware that you will be publicising to the world via this forum his action/inaction.

David will be coming with me. I always bring back-up. :biggrin: