PDA

View Full Version : 'I feel like a stranger where I live’

joebloggs
29th January 2013, 10:02
an interesting article here ..

As new figures show 'white flight' from cities is rising, one Londoner writes a provocative personal piece about how immigration has drastically changed the borough where she has lived for 17 years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html

Dedworth
29th January 2013, 13:32
"When you go swimming, it’s much healthier to keep your whole body completely covered, you know.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html

Pass the sick bag :cwm23:- successive governments to blame for encouraging the country sink into the multicultural abyss

Terpe
29th January 2013, 13:54
Very interesting article.

lordna
29th January 2013, 13:54
Interesting reading and a bit scary. I rarely go to London but one time recently we went to Walthamstow for a filipino friends sons cristening party. I was shocked by the lack of white european faces there and number of shops run by "minority" races. Things have certainly changed.

raynaputi
29th January 2013, 14:14
I just merged the threads Joe & Dedworth..:biggrin:

Dedworth
29th January 2013, 14:29
I just merged the threads Joe & Dedworth..:biggrin:

Thanks Rayna - sorry Joe I'd not spotted it before

Michael Parnham
29th January 2013, 14:39
I must confess, I woudn't like to live in an area such as that, we live in an area as strangers, but that's because we don't know anyone at all! :anerikke:

Terpe
29th January 2013, 14:41
Interesting reading and a bit scary................. Things have certainly changed.

The reason this article struck a chord with me was because something similar to what's being described happened to me.

Last week, in my own hometown whist going to our local Asian grocery store.
Never had a single issue before, but this incident really unnerved me and left me feeling quite uneasy and intimidated. So much so that I've decided not to go back to that shop.

What a palarva!!!

Dedworth
29th January 2013, 14:45
A pal of mine in Australia sent me the article saying "how sickening the way the UK is going down the pan" - true words

bigmarco
29th January 2013, 14:47
Having spent my entire 50 years in south west London I find it quite easy to identify and agree with a lot of what is said in this article.
I think the last 20 years have brought the most worrying changes. 1 million children who do not have English as a first language is very worrying and you only have to walk the streets of London to know this is true. The new immigrant doesn't wish to integrate in our society, instead they are trying and succeeding in some ways it getting us to be more accepting of their traditions.
The main problem facing us now is that we don't appear to have any political will from any party to tackle the problems we are facing, just merely a blind acceptance of it's going to continue. We are faced with the prospect of many more immigrants heading our way later this year from Eastern Europe and the best they can come up with is to start an advertising campaign to make us appear less attractive to Bulgarians and Romanians, what a farce.
The suggestion that we now have Muslim patrols in certain areas telling people what they can and can't do, should but doesn't really shock me. They've been given such a free reign up to now that I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are collecting their own taxes :cwm23:

Dedworth
29th January 2013, 14:51
Free reign and lack of political will Marco you are quite right that sums it up - if we'd clamped down on these people before with a proper "fit in or eff off" policy instead of pandering to them we wouldn't be in this appalling mess

fred
29th January 2013, 15:26
I have nothing much to say except I find the situation very sad and bitter..
We are talking about places that I have lived and worked in..Places that my Father took me to as a young kid..Places I will never forget as the Characters back then were unforgettable. Looks like those days are well and truly gone.
The worst part is that I cannot ever take my kids to those parts of London or ever explain to them about their culture or about how Britain used to be.
In hind sight I know that I made the correct decision to bring my kids here before it was too late..
Seems like I made it by the skin of my teeth.
I still cannot believe that so much has changed in Britain in my life time so far..
Im not even 50 yet!!
:NoNo:

andy222
29th January 2013, 15:52
I think I said this before about muslims and got slaughtered for it? Im glad your seeing the light.

Arthur Little
29th January 2013, 19:05
Im glad your seeing the light.

Can't really imagine many Muslim women being able to see much light, though :cwm24: ... underneath their burkas. :icon_lol:

les_taxi
29th January 2013, 20:12
I'm very lucky living in Harrogate but it's changing slowly and already the Muslin taxi drivers here are getting a bad name for themselves, pisses me right off :cwm23:

Terpe
29th January 2013, 20:49
I have nothing much to say except I find the situation very sad and bitter..
We are talking about places that I have lived and worked in..Places that my Father took me to as a young kid..Places I will never forget as the Characters back then were unforgettable. Looks like those days are well and truly gone.
The worst part is that I cannot ever take my kids to those parts of London or ever explain to them about their culture or about how Britain used to be.
In hind sight I know that I made the correct decision to bring my kids here before it was too late..
Seems like I made it by the skin of my teeth.
I still cannot believe that so much has changed in Britain in my life time so far..
Im not even 50 yet!!
:NoNo:

Fred, just my opinion, but I think if you lived in many of these areas for 3 months or more you would really be shocked.
I mean truly shocked.
Many folks have just drifted past those incremental changes and still feel the changes.

When we arrived to UK back in 2002 I could easily feel the changes. Now even my wife feels the changes.

But to be fair, the Philippines has also changed a good deal too.Some good some not good.

I've not been back to Japan since 2002 but and I wonder how different life woild be there now.

The one thing we can be sure of is that everything changes.

My wife and me were talking today about even if we want to stay here and recover the finances we lost during the past couple of years.
I think we'll be gone pretty soon

Crikey, didn't realise how easy it is to get negative. Better stop that right now.

stevewool
29th January 2013, 20:53
its everywhere except bohol:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
29th January 2013, 21:26
its everywhere except bohol :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Carina's mother was born in Bohol.
We have loads of family members and friends living there. A great advantage whenever we visit.
But almost one reason we haven't considered settling down there. So far. But who knows..........
We do love Bohol.
We love too many places :doh

Cold Spud
29th January 2013, 22:52
I couln't have agreed with this thread more as I have seen this myself when we go to sheffield to attend a relative's burial. A muslim taxi driver drove past my aunt in-law and pick up his fellow (same nationality)who is in the middle of the queue! Point is, while I was reading the laws and regulations in the UK it is clearly mentioned that discrimination is against the law but, why let anyone especially this people who are originally NOT from this country can do this kind of violation! Anyone who love their own country would do something about it, only if the government will not turn a blind eye!

marksroomspain
29th January 2013, 23:51
Very interesting read luckily enough where I come from in the north east especially in my home town where I have lived since birth I actually know and communicate with most of my neighbours.

My wife once said to me about living and working in London would be nice till I opened her eyes to what life could really be like there.

Really interesting article...

fred
30th January 2013, 01:49
Fred, just my opinion, but I think if you lived in many of these areas for 3 months or more you would really be shocked.
I mean truly shocked.
Many folks have just drifted past those incremental changes and still feel the changes.

When we arrived to UK back in 2002 I could easily feel the changes. Now even my wife feels the changes.

But to be fair, the Philippines has also changed a good deal too. Some good some not good.

I've not been back to Japan since 2002 but and I wonder how different life woild be there now.

The one thing we can be sure of is that everything changes.

My wife and me were talking today about even if we want to stay here and recover the finances we lost during the past couple of years.
I think we'll be gone pretty soon

Crikey, didn't realise how easy it is to get negative. Better stop that right now.

On the contrary Terpe, I dont personally think the Phils has changed that much at all over the last 35 years except of course that there is a LOT more Filipino`s!
Not so long ago you could hear me having the odd moan about not being able to own land or the majority share in a business (legally) here etc etc..
The more I think about it though and after reading articles like the one above, I think the Filipino old fashioned, almost draconian constitution has protected and preserved the Philippines and its indigenous culture..
Now Im secretly starting to wish that they do not change it as I think I now know where it will eventually lead.

Terpe
30th January 2013, 16:27
On the contrary Terpe, I dont personally think the Phils has changed that much at all over the last 35 years except of course that there is a LOT more Filipino`s!.....

I'm surprised to learn that's really what you think despite dramatic social changes in issues like:-

- Global migration and the OFW impacts on family values and the economy.
- Changing roles of women
- Violence (domestic and on the street)
- Technological advances (especially communications)
- Media power and influence

Food for thought. :smile:

fred
31st January 2013, 01:03
I'm surprised to learn that's really what you think despite dramatic social changes in issues like:-

- Global migration and the OFW impacts on family values and the economy.
- Changing roles of women
- Violence (domestic and on the street)
- Technological advances (especially communications)
- Media power and influence

Food for thought. :smile:

Terpe..If we go back 25 years when I got married,My Mrs had 3 brothers in the middle east and a sister in HK.. Just about all Filipinos that I knew back then aspired to become OFW`s.. 15 years earlier my father was a Project camp manager in Saudi..More than 2.000 Filipinos on the camp.. This is how we were introduced to the R.P.
Im not really sure how the "roles of women" have changed in that time but happy to hear your views.
In regards violence,I assume that you are talking about Manila and other large urban areas.. Same issues back then just multiplied due to a 100% population growth.. Election time can often be pretty violent but not as bad as in the past is what I have observed.
In regards the media.. Apart from Cable TV they still spout the same BS!!
Journalism has long been an extremely dangerous occupation in the R.P.. I have a feeling that more journalist have been murdered in the Phils over the years then just about anywhere else in the world..I wonder if its because they have a political agenda?
We live very peacefully here in the province..All I can hear now is the cocks crowing and 10 mins ago a screaming pig thats off to market.. Im sure the old woman that sells fish out of a basket will be around within the hour for her twice weekly tsismis session..
Same same lang!!:xxgrinning--00xx3: