PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of No Impediment Question

chrissy_uk
1st February 2013, 17:04
Hello,

I received my CNI from the local registry today, but still a little unsure of how important the details of my fiancee on the form are to the British embassy.

I've got an appointment at the embassy to exchange my CNI for a local one. At the time I applied for the CNI I informed the registrar that my fiancee would be returning to the Philippines before we married, but that at the time she was in the UK. I was informed that her address should be that of where she was staying at the time of the application, which would be in the UK.

Just wondering if this is going to cause problems when I get to the embassy to exchange it for the local CNI?

At the end of the day I would have thought that it's sufficient to prove I'm not married and that along with her CENOMAR it proves that she isn't married either.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Terpe
1st February 2013, 21:26
Hello,

I received my CNI from the local registry today, but still a little unsure of how important the details of my fiancee on the form are to the British embassy.

I've got an appointment at the embassy to exchange my CNI for a local one. At the time I applied for the CNI I informed the registrar that my fiancee would be returning to the Philippines before we married, but that at the time she was in the UK. I was informed that her address should be that of where she was staying at the time of the application, which would be in the UK.

Just wondering if this is going to cause problems when I get to the embassy to exchange it for the local CNI?

At the end of the day I would have thought that it's sufficient to prove I'm not married and that along with her CENOMAR it proves that she isn't married either.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

The important thing is that you have your CNI.
You need to exchange this by appointment only at the Embassy in Manila. Get your appointment asap.
The local CNI is also only valid for 3 months.

Your Fiance(e) needs her CENOMAR too

There's loads of great information here in the forum (make a search) to give you self confidence.

You're quite right. The key is to have evidence that you are both legally free to marry then you will be able to secure the marriage licence without problems.
Do remember you will need to wait 10 days (at least) for the marriage licence from the time of application.

Good luck and have a super memorable and super enjoyable day. I'm sure you will :Jump:

chrissy_uk
2nd February 2013, 14:38
Thanks Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, I have my appointment booked and my fiancee has her CENOMAR.

I've taken into account the 10 day waiting period in my time I'll be spending out there and I've secured a 59 day visa in advance, just in case things overrun a little.

Can't wait to go!

Chris

Terpe
2nd February 2013, 14:50
There's been many reported cases where the foreign fiance was also requested for CENOMAR. Just heads-up really, but I would get that issue checked out. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sounds exciting :Jump:

Arthur Little
2nd February 2013, 15:29
There's been many reported cases where the foreign fiance was also requested for CENOMAR.

:yeahthat:'s been a bone of contention on here for some time. Certainly wasn't the case back in 2009.

Crops up occasionally ... :anerikke: ... but seems to me that the provision of this "CENOMAR" by the foreign fiance is tantamount to an unnecessary duplication of the CNI ALREADY obtained at the British Embassy in the Philippines.

jonnijon
2nd February 2013, 23:05
Yes cenomar is required for both partys.

Terpe
3rd February 2013, 13:06
:yeahthat:'s been a bone of contention on here for some time. Certainly wasn't the case back in 2009.

Crops up occasionally ... :anerikke: ... but seems to me that the provision of this "CENOMAR" by the foreign fiance is tantamount to an unnecessary duplication of the CNI ALREADY obtained at the British Embassy in the Philippines.

I think the problem has arisen due to some cases where foreigners having previous valid marriages in the Philippines were reported to the authorities when 'others' found out that another Philippine marriage was about to take place.

Some of those authorities involved in the granting of marriage licences started to request the CENOMAR of the foreign spouse.

The CNI is a Certificate of no impediment / Legal Capacity to Marry
This certificate provides evidence to officially authorised people that the marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in both Philippines and the country of the foreign spouse.
A valid CNI is required by Philippine law.

A CENOMAR ( Certificate of No Marriage Record) is available from the National Statistics Office (NSO) and is simply what its name implies.
It is certification issued by the NSO stating that a person has not contracted any marriage within the Philippines.

The Philippine government holds to account those who are authorised to grant a marriage licence that they have acted correctly.

It's wise to ask the specific authority where the marriage licence will be issued exactly what documents they want to see.

chrissy_uk
3rd February 2013, 22:20
Thanks for the information guys.

I was worried about the need for a CENOMAR too until a few weeks ago.

I contacted the British embassy in Manila a few weeks ago asking them to clarify the documents I need to bring in order to secure the local CNI. I was told that I won't need to present a CENOMAR to obtain the local CNI at the embassy, but of course my fiancee will require hers. However, they could not confirm whether the municipality in my fiancee's home town would require me to have a CENOMAR in order to apply for the marriage license as it was down to local policy. My fiancee has spoken to her local registrar and they have confirmed I won't be needing a CENOMAR.

Steve.r
4th February 2013, 01:34
Thanks for the information guys.

I was worried about the need for a CENOMAR too until a few weeks ago.

I contacted the British embassy in Manila a few weeks ago asking them to clarify the documents I need to bring in order to secure the local CNI. I was told that I won't need to present a CENOMAR to obtain the local CNI at the embassy, but of course my fiancee will require hers. However, they could not confirm whether the municipality in my fiancee's home town would require me to have a CENOMAR in order to apply for the marriage license as it was down to local policy. My fiancee has spoken to her local registrar and they have confirmed I won't be needing a CENOMAR.

Well done for doing your homework Chrissy, sounds like you have covered every eventuality. Have a wonderful time and ceremony, we will look forward to seeing your special day in our wedding album thread. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
4th February 2013, 13:36
I had to have cenomar when I applied at consul in Cebu.