PDA

View Full Version : Westonzoyland man "treated like illegal immigrant" after returning to UK

joebloggs
4th February 2013, 12:03
well i think this is cheeky, The DWP said EU migrants and Brits returning to the UK must provide evidence they intend to stay here, to stop them taking advantage of the benefits system. surely as a Brit he has paid nat insurance and tax and should be able to claim certain benefits, while a EU migrant might not have or only for a short time.

A BRIT denied benefits after returning home from years working abroad says he is being treated “like an illegal immigrant”.

read more here .. http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/news/somerset_news/10202082._/

grahamw48
4th February 2013, 12:21
That has been the rule for many years.

They ask you on the benefit application form if you have been out of the UK during the past 5 years. (I think it needs to be for a few months or more).

I suppose his problems started when he told them the truth. :icon_rolleyes:

A 'streetwise' person would have just explained the gap in his NI contribution record by stating that he'd been unemployed but not signing on ...while living off savings, or maybe wandering the country in a bus as a new age traveller, or being supported by a millionairess, etc. :smile:

They won't ask to see your passport.

jonnijon
4th February 2013, 13:32
Not sure but I think the only people you have to show your passport is immigration and customs. The rest you can tell to shove it.:icon_lol:

grahamw48
4th February 2013, 13:47
And of course, not everyone even has a passport. :smile:

joebloggs
4th February 2013, 14:13
maybe one away wrong it is make all benefits contribution based, you've not paid in , you get nowt out :biggrin:

grahamw48
4th February 2013, 16:07
Except for kids who haven't reached paper round age yet. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
4th February 2013, 18:53
I suppose his problems started when he told them the truth. :icon_rolleyes:

Personally, I've long-believed honesty was the best policy. Nowadays, I'm beginning to wonder ...! :icon_rolleyes:

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 20:24
He should have said he was an illegal immigrant. Would have got the red carpet treatment no doubt.

And this comes on the same day when they announce £1 million is being paid out on child benefit to foreign families who no longer live in this country. :omg::Brick:

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 20:26
Personally, I've long-believed honesty was the best policy. Nowadays, I'm beginning to wonder ...! :icon_rolleyes:Too right Arthur.

Just be honest with the ones closest to you. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
4th February 2013, 20:54
This happened to me when I first returned to UK after living in Japan for a number of years.
If I'd not been honest it would have been quite different.