PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Couple, looking for advice.

Nick-and-Ella
9th February 2013, 04:02
Hi there, I'm Nick & my Fiancee is Ella. I'm from Brighton in the UK & Ella is from Siquijor PH. I have been to her province 3 times & she has been to UK twice on a visitors visa. We work together on the same cruise ship, Norwegian Sun; I'm the Safety Officer & Ella is a Restaurant Hostess. On our last vacation we were planning to marry in PH but didn't realize how long getting the necessary paper work would take; which we now have. However, due to one thing & another (Typhoon Pablo being one reason), we ran out of time & didn't manage to tie the knot.
We are now planning to get married whilst at work, in St Thomas USVI, in the Caribbean.
I can see online that we will be able to register this marriage in PH, but our plan is to get a spouse visa so that Ella can move to the UK & hopefully find employment. We have been together 4 years now.
So, my question, (at last) is this:
Is a marriage undertaken abroad recognized when applying for a spouse visa to UK?

Any help would be appreciated.
Also, is there anyone with any PH contacts in the Brighton / West Sussex area?

Salamat in advance!

Michael Parnham
9th February 2013, 10:59
Yes it's quite acceptable to marry in the Philippines for a spouse visa, welcome to the forum and good luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th February 2013, 14:09
.....Is a marriage undertaken abroad recognized when applying for a spouse visa to UK?
Salamat in advance!

Hi there Nick, welcome to the forum.
There's absolutely no problems with an overseas marriage when applying for a spouse visa, provided that marriage is recognised by UK. Usually not an issue

From the new FCO website (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office
):-
(Marriages and civil partnerships section (https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships))

You can’t register an overseas marriage or civil partnership in the UK, but it will usually be recognised if it’s valid in the other country.

Nick-and-Ella
9th February 2013, 23:04
Hi there Nick, welcome to the forum.
There's absolutely no problems with an overseas marriage when applying for a spouse visa, provided that marriage is recognised by UK. Usually not an issue

From the new FCO website (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office
):-
(Marriages and civil partnerships section (https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships))

Ok, thanks for the link & links & advice.

angellegwen
9th February 2013, 23:14
Hi Nick & Ella,

Welcome to the forum. Where in Siquijor is Ella from (if I may ask)? Im from Maria Siquijor :Wave:.

Nick-and-Ella
10th February 2013, 14:09
Hi Angellegwen,

Ella, is from Maria also; Saguing to be precise.

Nick-and-Ella
10th February 2013, 14:13
Hi Nick & Ella,

Welcome to the forum. Where in Siquijor is Ella from (if I may ask)? Im from Maria Siquijor :Wave:.

Her family name is Calibo on her father's side, & Oliveros on her Mother's side. If Ella had a friend from Siquijor in UK it would be great!

angellegwen
10th February 2013, 16:49
Her family name is Calibo on her father's side, & Oliveros on her Mother's side. If Ella had a friend from Siquijor in UK it would be great!

Ohhh :yikes: My family name is Aranton, from the town proper of Poblacion Sur. Count me in, it woulld nice to see her in the future (both i mean) :biggrin: im excited for you both...
Michael Parnham's wife is also from Siquijor yepeee. And Brighton and Kent is not that far, it would be nice. :Jump:

RickyR
10th February 2013, 20:30
Hi Nick,

Nothing really to add, except I previously worked on the cruise lines as a Safety Officer/2nd Off. and met my wife onboard too. It can all work out!
All the best.

Arthur Little
11th February 2013, 00:34
:welcomex: to our friendly Filipino/UK website, Nick & Ella ... and good luck with your marital plans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nick-and-Ella
13th February 2013, 13:37
Hi Nick,

Nothing really to add, except I previously worked on the cruise lines as a Safety Officer/2nd Off. and met my wife onboard too. It can all work out!
All the best.

Thanks Ricky.

Nick-and-Ella
13th February 2013, 13:37
:welcomex: to our friendly Filipino/UK website, Nick & Ella ... and good luck with your marital plans. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thankyou Arthur.

Nick-and-Ella
13th February 2013, 13:43
Ohhh :yikes: My family name is Aranton, from the town proper of Poblacion Sur. Count me in, it woulld nice to see her in the future (both i mean) :biggrin: im excited for you both...
Michael Parnham's wife is also from Siquijor yepeee. And Brighton and Kent is not that far, it would be nice. :Jump:

If it's possible, please try & send us your private e-mail as I told Ella & she would like to get in touch. She will need friends in the UK as my job on the ship will mean her being alone for 3 months at a time.

angellegwen
13th February 2013, 14:01
she can email me at agfadiprose12@yahoo.co.uk :smile: i cant find how to send you a private message :icon_lol:

Nick-and-Ella
15th February 2013, 21:51
she can email me at agfadiprose12@yahoo.co.uk :smile: i cant find how to send you a private message :icon_lol:

I know, I can't see that either! I have sent you an e-mail from here on the ship; when Ella has a chance to get online she will e-mail you too. If you want to write a note to my e-mail for Ella I can make sure it gets to her. I hope we manage to keep in touch when Ella eventually comes to UK. :Wave:

angellegwen
16th February 2013, 23:37
I know, I can't see that either! I have sent you an e-mail from here on the ship; when Ella has a chance to get online she will e-mail you too. If you want to write a note to my e-mail for Ella I can make sure it gets to her. I hope we manage to keep in touch when Ella eventually comes to UK. :Wave:

Hi, okay i'll check my email. Oh i see your email. Ill be looking forward to her email :smile:. Yeah unless i'll be deported :icon_lol::NoNo:, i'll always be here, and for sure the rest of the forum members as well. I wish she will be here soon. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nick-and-Ella
8th March 2013, 21:34
It seems we have hit the first rock in our quest for UK visa. My job is overseas as I work for NCL, a cruise line based in Miami, & the application says I should have work in the UK. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? I don't understand why it's an issue, I have a property in UK & have always lived there.

RickyR
9th March 2013, 06:02
It shouldn't be a problem, I have quite a few friends who also have wives from South East Asia and who work at sea employed overseas and the UKBA accept that. Drop me an e-mail if you like and I can explain a few workarounds

Nick-and-Ella
11th March 2013, 21:30
Hi Ricky R, ok I will do. Thanks so much for putting my mind at rest.

Nick-and-Ella
20th February 2014, 03:59
Update. Ella arrives on March 2nd after a long but successful visa application process. Thanks for the advice, especially Ricky R. Your advice for my financial side with working at sea was invaluable.

Salamat Kayo!