PDA

View Full Version : Tocino!

-sillybilly-
23rd February 2013, 20:46
Anyone who loves Tocino? I know most of the members here in the forum have tried Tocino in the Philippines.

I have been longing and gagging to have some and all of a sudden a filipino porter in work came up to me and asked if I want to order some Tocino. Of course i said "hell yeah!" Did not even asked how much.

Soon as I got home from work, cooked some rice, fried the tocino and fried a couple of eggs! :hubbahubba: Felt like i was back home having my dinner ! Sweet!:Jump:

Terpe
23rd February 2013, 21:29
If I'm honest, I can't find anything good to say about Tocino at all. Sorry :icon_sorry:
I'll avoid them at all costs.

My wife loves Tocino :Erm:

raynaputi
23rd February 2013, 21:32
Anyone who loves Tocino? I know most of the members here in the forum have tried Tocino in the Philippines.

I have been longing and gagging to have some and all of a sudden a filipino porter in work came up to me and asked if I want to order some Tocino. Of course i said "hell yeah!" Did not even asked how much.

Soon as I got home from work, cooked some rice, fried the tocino and fried a couple of eggs! :hubbahubba: Felt like i was back home having my dinner ! Sweet!:Jump:

I bought some months ago from a Chinese warehouse..:hubbahubba: Maybe time to buy some again! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd February 2013, 21:43
I bought some months ago from a Chinese warehouse..:hubbahubba: Maybe time to buy some again! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Time to try some haggis :biggrin:

raynaputi
23rd February 2013, 22:29

I like haggis! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
24th February 2013, 00:16

yuk its AW Offal FUL

-sillybilly-
24th February 2013, 00:16
If I'm honest, I can't find anything good to say about Tocino at all. Sorry :icon_sorry:
I'll avoid them at all costs.

My wife loves Tocino :Erm:

Fair enough!

-sillybilly-
24th February 2013, 00:19
I like haggis! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've had Haggis once and i must admit it tasted good!
I wont be fussing about whats it made of as I eat chicken feet, balot, bopis, pinapaitan, and isaw which I think are :hubbahubba:!

sars_notd_virus
24th February 2013, 16:22

yes i miss the local tocino in the PH..:hubbahubba:
I just make my own tocino... ham or bits of bacon soaked in brown sugar and add loads of garlic stay in the fridge for a couple of days then fry it up ..it doesnt taste the same because no preservatives but it will do sometimes:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
24th February 2013, 16:54
Actually,I quite like Tocino even though its on the sweet side..
Obviously I prefer my homemade hams and bacon but make Tocino every now and again..

Here`s a recipe..

Pork Tocino Recipe, makes six servings
1 lb pork butt or pork shoulder, sliced thinly into 1/8-inch thick strips
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 teaspoon red beet powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more as needed
Combine sugar, salt and red beet powder in a small bowl. Liberally rub the pork with the curing mixture and place in a container or zip top bag large enough to hold everything together. Add whatever is left of the sugar, salt, and red beet powder and refrigerate for two days.
After the second day, the cured pork can be either pan-fried or grilled. When pan-frying, heat the oil in a large pan over medium-to-high heat. Pan-fry the pork slices for two to three minutes on each side, until cooked through and browned. Transfer to a plate and continue frying the remaining pork slices. When grilling, grill the pork slices for two to three minutes on each side, until nicely charred.

Mr nice74
13th March 2013, 21:58
Sounds delicious

Janedan0913
13th March 2013, 23:31
My husband makes me his homemade tocino and he can make some longanisa as well. He is a very good English chef.

J&G
2nd April 2013, 23:40
I used to love eating tocino in the Phils, though its unnatural boneless texture and abnormal pink hue definitely gave me some pause! - The chicken tocino tended to look a bit more natural, and was similarly delicious! Either way, I'm sure the mass-produced versions of both come loaded with way too many chemicals, so I always tried to make sure to not get too addicted to it! :biggrin:

RicIre
10th August 2013, 07:45

I love tocino. My uncle bought me some in taguig and it was probably the best one I ever had. I was eating it in breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days until I have non left.

I didn't like the ready made one from the chinese shop in the UK, too much fat and sugar for my liking. So I tried making my own, bought a packet of tocino mix (mama sita brand I think) + top quality pork but the result is not so good lol.

raynaputi
10th August 2013, 14:36
I love tocino. My uncle bought me some in taguig and it was probably the best one I ever had. I was eating it in breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days until I have non left.

I didn't like the ready made one from the chinese shop in the UK, too much fat and sugar for my liking. So I tried making my own, bought a packet of tocino mix (mama sita brand I think) + top quality pork but the result is not so good lol.

I used this recipe to make my own tocino.. http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/3350 (http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/3350) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th August 2013, 20:04
I used this recipe to make my own tocino.. http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/3350 (http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/3350) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm going to try this one as a surprise for Carina. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Looks straightforward enough. Who knows, maybe I'll also like it :Erm:
Still don't like that stuff in Philippines though :cwm25:

RicIre
15th August 2013, 01:10

Nice, that look yummy. Ill try it when I get the time but I should remind myself not to eat too much of it :biggrin:

gWaPito
15th August 2013, 04:29
I still got some kicking round in my freezer. .ordinarily I'd throw it out now that it's only me now. ..strange how old habits come back..I won't throw it out after all. ..that'll do me 3 meals :biggrin: I get a lot of satisfaction being Mr Thrifty:xxgrinning--00xx3: