PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Keith O'Brien sorry for sexual misconduct

Terpe
6th March 2013, 21:46
Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the former leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, has admitted his sexual conduct has at times "fallen beneath the standards expected of me".

More can be found here:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

Terpe
6th March 2013, 21:48
Is it even possible to live a celibate life?

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21654663

Terpe
6th March 2013, 21:50
Gandhi and celibacy

From 1906 Indian nationalist leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948) vowed to abstain from sex
He was following the practice of Brahmacharya, a Hindu spiritual path which attempts to eliminate desire
To test his discipline, he habitually slept with - but refrained from sex with - naked young women, something he called "a worthwhile experiment"

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21654663

To test his discipline, he habitually slept with - but refrained from sex with - naked young women, something he called "a worthwhile experiment"

I didn't know that.

Should RC priests be allowed to marry?

I think so :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
6th March 2013, 22:57
I agree with you and think it's time that the Catholic church had a good look at itself and think seriously about it's new leader.
I was listening to a programme the other day and it stated that it was quite common in South America and Africa for Catholic Priests to have partners either gay or straight and in some cases even children.
I found this article on the internet which says the same thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-fiedler/the-latest-casualty-of-th_b_818751.html

I think certainly in Europe the Catholic faith along with others is seen as so out of date on this and one or two other issues.
I think the time is right for a younger Pope probably from the Southern Hemisphere to steer it in the right direction.

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 00:19
Should RC priests be allowed to marry?

I think so :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes, :iagree: (most DEFINITELY!) IF they were, I'm almost certain it would go a VERY long way towards eliminating "unnatural goings on" amongst Roman Catholic clergy :biggrin: ... regardless of the aforementioned [verbal] "ejaculations" of Father Wang(ker) :sexy_146: and others advocating celibacy within the priesthood.

grahamw48
7th March 2013, 00:36
They just need to get a proper job. :biggrin:

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 00:41
..................................................... Father Wang(ker) :sexy_146:

:cwm24: ... what an unfortunate name for a priest! :yeahthat:

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 00:47
They just need to get a proper job. :biggrin:

:biggrin: ... Marriage Guidance Counsellor, perhaps?

grahamw48
7th March 2013, 00:55
:cwm24: ... what an unfortunate name for a priest! :yeahthat:

Maybe he lives here...:icon_lol:

Dedworth
7th March 2013, 08:54
Brown trouser time for the Cardinal ?

Police set to probe O’Brien scandal as church battles on

Scotlands Roman Catholics were last night braced for more sex claims against the clergy as police prepared to investigate Cardinal Keith O’Brien.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/381890/Police-set-to-probe-O-Brien-scandal-as-church-battles-on

grahamw48
7th March 2013, 10:48
Good.

And why on earth shouldn't they be investigated by the police ?...just as any other supected sex offender would, then if found guilty, locked up with the rest of the pervs. :smile:

Doc Alan
7th March 2013, 11:47
When I first visited the Philippines in 1978 the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila was Cardinal Jaime Sin.

He played a role in the "People Power" revolution which toppled President Marcos, and was made Cardinal by Pope Paul VI.

There were many jokes around his name :- "The greatest sin of all" and (allegedly) his own pun about his official residence "Welcome to the House of Sin" ... shame he could never be Pope :smile:.

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 11:59
Maybe he lives here...:icon_lol:

:sexy_146: ... cum now, Graham!

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 12:09
Cardinal J(aim)e Sin.

.................... Je m'appelle Sin ...

... I am sin! :ReadIt:

N.B. Combined, letters of the Cardinal's Christian name = an anagram. :smile:

Michael Parnham
7th March 2013, 12:48
I think if they were allowed to lead a normal married life, the contaception rules would fall into place!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
7th March 2013, 13:54
To be fair I haven't seen any suggestion that he broke the law.
I think the Express are just running a story with a quote from a CELEBRITY lawyer who spends most of his time trying to get overpaid footballers off speeding charges.

grahamw48
7th March 2013, 14:19
There are plenty (of priests) who HAVE broken the law though.

How many were locked up I wonder ? :Erm:

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 14:36
To be fair I haven't seen any suggestion that he broke the law.

:gp:, Marco ... NEITHER have I!

I think the Express are just running a story with a quote from a CELEBRITY lawyer who spends most of his time trying to get overpaid footballers off speeding charges.

:iagree: ... typical media sensationalism ... they'll sink to [almost] ANY level for the "express" purpose of picking up "scoops" ("puns" intended) deemed most likely to capture public imagination using [usually] unsavoury headlines.

Dedworth
7th March 2013, 15:44
:gp:, Marco ... NEITHER have I!

:iagree: ... typical media sensationalism ... they'll sink to [almost] ANY level for the "express" purpose of picking up "scoops" ("puns" intended) deemed most likely to capture public imagination using [usually] unsavoury headlines.

No smoke without fire though - some members of the priesthood have been convicted of abhorrent offences

KeithD
7th March 2013, 18:42
If all this goes on with priests in the West, imagine what they get away with in the 3rd world? :icon_rolleyes:

Michael Parnham
7th March 2013, 20:13
Interesting!!:Erm: