PDA

View Full Version : Phils Trip Feb/Mar 2013 Part 2

Ako Si Jamie
13th March 2013, 00:19
The Journey from the UK, and Manila

Considering it was February, the weather was very kind when I departed Birmingham for my forthcoming jaunt to the Phils early doors on Friday the 15th. There was no rain or wind and the temperature was well above average.

I left my house at 3am via taxi to catch the 3.45 coach to Heathrow from Digbeth. The journey took about two and a half hours which gave me ample time to check in for my 10.30am flight to Kuwait City.

I met Bob in the queue at the baggage counter in Heathrow. He was a year off retirement and disillusioned with life in the UK and the only thing that kept him here was his elderly mother whom he cared for and now he was off to Thailand for six weeks to see his wife and young child, a trip he does twice a year.

Bob was outspoken and made his feelings clear about the influx of foreigners coming to the UK despite us being in close proximity to different nationals as we puffed away in the smoking zone outside Terminal 4.

Was this Dedworth I was speaking to? I soon concluded that it wasn't. There was no direct mention of trough feeders, pikeys, sickbags or that Tony Blair was a slippery moron throughout our conversations and anyway he had Thai connections not Filipino.

Having heard the not so brilliant stories about Kuwait Airways I was a tad apprehensive about flying with them. The entertainment system was pretty pathetic and came with a remote control that was welded to the side of the seat so you couldn’t see the correct buttons to press. We must have been halfway across Europe before I figured out which buttons did what. I shouldn’t have bothered as there were only three movies available and they were in Arabic.

The seats on the plane were adorned in a green patterned fabric and every shade imaginable but they were comfortable, more so than Cathay Pacific in my opinion. The legroom was ample and the food was palatable so everything was not all bad.

The airport in Kuwait City is quite nice, better than Riyadh, but it does have misleading flight information. On my way back to the UK, my flight was KU101 to London departing at 0950 but all I could see on the screen was KU101 to New York departing at 0920. I went to the gate and was told it was my flight and it was going to New York via London. Quite confusing!

The wait in Kuwait was around 4-5 hours but it passed by quickly as I was speaking with Bob throughout. He was now busy berating the Swiss over in Thailand for being miserable and humourless but he did talk about other stuff like football too, not just about other nationalities.

As we boarded the flight to Manila I bid farewell to Bob and he gave me his number and I took my seat at the back of the plane. Next to me was a middle aged Pinay that lived in London and used to reside in the same city as Maria does now, San Fernando in Pampanga. Small world!

As the plane hovered close to Manila around 4pm waiting to land I had the opportunity to take a wonderful aerial photo of Mariveles and the Camaya Coast in Bataan. Unfortunately my camera was playing up and by the time I reached for my phone to take a picture the opportunity was missed.

I arrived at NAIA just as another flight did so the queues at immigration were quite lengthy. Once through I noticed my bags on the carousel straight away and I was first down the ramp to the crowds squashed behind barriers in the waiting area. There were no over zealous bag snatching taxi drivers this time, just Maria, her mum and her younger sister to greet me.

We hailed a white taxi outside the airport to take us to our hotel, The Shogun Suites, also in Pasay, which cost under 200 peso’s. It might not be the best hotel I’ve stayed at in the Philippines, but it’s well run and professional and the rooms are of decent standard despite having no windows.

The best thing about Shogun though is the rooftop, which provides panoramic views of Manila and Makati City, and has a swimming pool too up top. The hotel is located right next to EDSA train station meaning easy access to Manila and Caloocan. The Mall of Asia is not far away as well.

I continued the trend from previous visits of not succumbing to jet lag but maybe that’s because I don’t sleep at a set time when I’m at home. I tend to go to bed when I’m tired, just like I eat when I’m hungry. So instead of crashing out, it was off to the rooftop bar to get a much needed SML and to enjoy our first evening in the Phils together since June.

We spent Sunday morning at Ocean Park just off Roxas Boulevard which included a sea lion show as well as live exhibits of different sea creatures such as sharks and jellyfish. In the afternoon we headed out to Valenzuela from our hotel in Pasay to see some of the family. We took the train from EDSA to Momento in Caloocan which took about 30 minutes and cost only 15 peso’s each, then caught a jeepney to Valenzuela.

We returned early evening for our last night at Shogun. Tomorrow we would catch a 5.30am flight to Bacolod for a week in Negros.

stevie c
13th March 2013, 00:30
Very interesting jamie keep it coming
You sure are a great narator

imagine
13th March 2013, 00:48
hard to think theres a ded double :icon_lol:

looking forward to the next chapter now its warming up :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
13th March 2013, 01:40
Good stuff Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sounds like the Shogun Suites is just down the road from Sogo Drive-Inn where I stayed for a while last time.

Oh, and that bloke sounds just like me , except I might have ended up sitting next to you as far as Manila...moaning all the way. :icon_lol:

fred
13th March 2013, 07:07
Good first report but a bit disappointed after reading that after such a long trip you then ordered an SML..!!:doh
Talk about ruining a perfectly good roof top ambiance!!

mickcant
13th March 2013, 07:35
Very intresting:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:smile:

Michael Parnham
13th March 2013, 12:14
Very nice Jamie, its like reading a good book, looking forward to more from you!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
13th March 2013, 19:57
Thanks for your kind comments. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
13th March 2013, 20:00
Good stuff Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sounds like the Shogun Suites is just down the road from Sogo Drive-Inn where I stayed for a while last time.

Oh, and that bloke sounds just like me , except I might have ended up sitting next to you as far as Manila...moaning all the way. :icon_lol:I didn't see Sogo, too busy watching where I was walking what with puppies sprawled across the pavement and other potential hazards :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
13th March 2013, 20:01
Good first report but a bit disappointed after reading that after such a long trip you then ordered an SML..!!:doh
Talk about ruining a perfectly good roof top ambiance!!Sorry Fred. I'll make sure it's a mango milkshake next time! :wink:

fred
14th March 2013, 00:16
Sorry Fred. I'll make sure it's a mango milkshake next time! :wink:

Forget the Mango milkshake except for the wife.. But for the love of God man, next time order an Ice cold SMB.
There`s a rumour that SML`s contains Formaldehyde..
Having tried it once,I think it might be true!:wink:

Ako Si Jamie
14th March 2013, 00:30
Forget the Mango milkshake except for the wife.. But for the love of God man, next time order an Ice cold SMB.
There`s a rumour that SML`s contains Formaldehyde..
Having tried it once,I think it might be true!:wink:A popular urban myth but thanks for your concern. :smile:

grahamw48
14th March 2013, 01:13
Yeah. Come on Jamie, man up. Only yanks and women drink that Light stuff. :biggrin:

Ako Si Jamie
14th March 2013, 06:17
Not that light. It contains Formaldehyde. :biggrin:

Terpe
14th March 2013, 21:01
Great write up Jaimie. I enjoyed reading it and you do include some very useful facts too.

Shame you had no windows in your room :NoNo:
We had a room in a Lapu Lapu hotel with no windows one time. Cost us P275 per night with A/C and mini bar. No windows and a very odd shape too.

I enjoy the whole travelling experience and look forward to a nice ice-cold beer on arrival.
I also like SML and often order an ice bucket of 6 or 7 bottles. :hubbahubba:

I've found it suits me better to immediately adopt the time I arrive in regardless, but we're all different. Whatever works for one may not work for all. Jetlag usually doesn't bother me whichever direction.

Nice part 2 keep it up:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
14th March 2013, 21:06
all sounds good to me , just wish i was there sooner then later

Ako Si Jamie
14th March 2013, 21:17
Shame you had no windows in your room :NoNo:
We had a room in a Lapu Lapu hotel with no windows one time. Cost us P275 per night with A/C and mini bar. No windows and a very odd shape too.

It seems like hotel rooms with no windows is quite common in the cities.

The Grand Prix Hotel in Pasay which is next door to the Victory Liner Bus Station also has rooms with no windows as does Bliss Hotel in San Fernando.

stevewool
14th March 2013, 21:27
so, glad to be home then Jamie:NoNo:

Ako Si Jamie
14th March 2013, 21:30
What do you reckon? :wink:

grahamw48
14th March 2013, 22:05
It seems like hotel rooms with no windows is quite common in the cities.

The Grand Prix Hotel in Pasay which is next door to the Victory Liner Bus Station also has rooms with no windows as does Bliss Hotel in San Fernando.

My room in Sogo didn't have any windows either.

Plenty of blinkin mirrors though...next to the bed, ABOVE it. :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
14th March 2013, 22:14
My room in Sogo didn't have any windows either.

Plenty of blinkin mirrors though...next to the bed, ABOVE it. :Erm:I hate mirrors too. They should only be allowed in the bathroom.

grahamw48
14th March 2013, 23:32
Designed for people doing 'naughty' things. :wink:

Ako Si Jamie
15th March 2013, 00:27
Like shaving in bed! :wink: