PDA

View Full Version : New UKBA Requirements for Settlement and Naturalisation

Terpe
10th April 2013, 08:31
08 April 2013

Today (8 April 2013), the Home Office is publishing a statement of intent outlining planned changes to requirements for those applying to settle in the UK, or become naturalised as British citizens.

From 28 October 2013, applicants in both categories will be required to pass the Life in the UK Test and to hold a B1 (intermediate) level English language speaking and listening qualification. This change will strengthen the citizenship process, replacing the current system which requires applicants to sit either the life in the UK test or show language progression from one English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) level to the next, but not both.

The knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement (Indefinite leave to remain)

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt. Applicants will be required to:
pass the Life in the UK test; and
to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

The knowledge of language and life requirement for naturalisation

The knowledge of language and life requirement for naturalisation as a British citizen will be the same as that for settlement, and the same English language qualifications will be accepted.

English language qualifications

A range of English language qualifications will be accepted as evidence that an applicant has met the B1 level speaking and listening requirements.

These include:
Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Home Office's Secure English Language Test (SELT) list. (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf)

ESOL qualifications at entry levels 1, 2 or 3, including speaking and listening, that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and must have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and taken in Scotland.

For full details of the new requirements, please see the statement of intent.

Source:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2013/april/15-settlementrequirements1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ukborderagency+%28UK+Border+Agency+latest+news%29

Terpe
10th April 2013, 08:50
Just to clarify, the above new requirements DO NOT affect in any way the English Language Requirements which apply to any Visa applications for leave to enter UK (Spouse / Partner / Fiance(e) etc) or to FLR(M) (Further Leave to Remain) applications.
Those applications will remain at A1 level.

The new requirements DO APPLY to ALL ILR and British Citizenship aplications from 28 October 2013 onwards. Regardless that applicant may already have a pass certificate at A1 level

Those folks who have already passed the Life in UK Test based on the previous (old) handbook will not be expected to take a revised Life in UK Test , even if they apply for settlement on or after 28 October 2013.

stevie c
10th April 2013, 09:17
Hi peter does the english speaking & listening test apply for naturalisation for those who have ilr under the old rules or do they carry on under the old rules with just the life in the uk test pass needed

Terpe
10th April 2013, 09:41
Hi peter does the english speaking & listening test apply for naturalisation for those who have ilr under the old rules or do they carry on under the old rules with just the life in the uk test pass needed

Hi Stevie,
This is a new requirement.
For Naturalisation, 'old rules' (pre-July 2012) or 'new rules' do not come into it.

Anyone who applies for Naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013 will need to have:-

1. A Life in UK Test (if a pass is already held then it will not need to be retaken)
2. A pass certificate for English Language speaking and listening at B1 level or higher

Unfortunately Steve, this means your wife will need to take this new English Language test before she can apply for British Citizenship.

melovesengland
10th April 2013, 09:42
Ohh dear. Not another new rules again? Its never ending! :bigcry:

I have just checked my documents, my english test expires next year and my BRP expires 2015 so it is clear as water that I am going to take a bloody English TEST again! This is just getting ridiculous. Where is the bloody justice. :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

I wonder if taking ESOL will free me from both English Language requirement and Life in the UK test? Do you think thats possible?

stevie c
10th April 2013, 09:53
Thanks Peter - it's crazy that someone can live here for 3yrs & still needs to pass an English speaking test :doh

melovesengland
10th April 2013, 10:01
I know Stevie. Ridiculous! Tsk Tsk Tsk

stevie c
10th April 2013, 10:06
Anyone know where these english test centres are situated across the uk?

Terpe
10th April 2013, 10:24
Anyone know where these englush test centres are situated across the uk?

Steve, you'd need to check against the UKBA approved English Language Test listing here (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf)

Just for IELTS you can search on the webpage here for 59 test centres in UK

IELTS - Test Centres - Search (http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/search_results.aspx)

I'll try to put together a listing later. It might be helpful for many folks.

stevie c
10th April 2013, 10:39
Many thanks Peter, so IELTS is accepted by UKBA?

Bluebirdjones
10th April 2013, 11:35
Thanks Peter - it's crazy that someone can live here for 3yrs & still needs to pass an English speaking test :doh

Stevie, I disagree.
If you're going to be a citizen of this country.... then a certain standard of English should be required.
I also think that successful applicants should also be on a "trial period", of for example 5 years.
Certain criminal convictions should mean their citizenship (and British passport) being rescinded.

... as an aside...
For many years I've worked as an Electoral Registration officer in SE London, getting people to fill out & return their electoral registration forms.
I'm now no longer amazed at the number of people I encounter who claim British citizenship, but who can't string more than 5 words of English together in a sentence, or grasp any concept of what is required from them (re registration).

Rory
10th April 2013, 12:07
All this means is my wife had better sit and pass the "Life in the UK" Test before October this year.

Terpe
10th April 2013, 12:18
All this means is my wife had better sit and pass the "Life in the UK" Test before October this year.

Yes, and also either submit ILR application or Sit and pass the B1 level English Test before then also.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th April 2013, 12:32
....I wonder if taking ESOL will free me from both English Language requirement and Life in the UK test? Do you think thats possible?

No.
Whichever way you decide to meet the requirements there will need to be an element that includes a pass certificate of Life in UK and addionally a pass certificate for speaking and listening qualification in English at B1

As it stands currently, it's possible to participate in an ESOL Citizenship based course.
You still need to secure that English Language pass certificate though.
However, after 28 October that route is no longer available. I believe there were many abuses of that system.

As the new requirement states, you will need two things:-

- A pass the Life in the UK test
and
- A speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 or higher.

melovesengland
10th April 2013, 12:46
Yeah I have just checked that on the UKBA website as well Sir Peter. Maybe thats one of the reasons why they revised that system again. Errrr. Anyway, they left us with no other choices but to do such things. :anerikke:

Rory
10th April 2013, 12:46
Yes, and also either submit ILR application or Sit and pass the B1 level English Test before then also.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

How soon can i submit the ILR application after being here or so i have to wait the 5 years as i am on the new system which came in to force last April 2012.

Since my wife arrived here last December i have not logged on here much and i think i need to keep up to date with what is going on. :doh

Terpe
10th April 2013, 13:02
How soon can i submit the ILR application after being here or so i have to wait the 5 years as i am on the new system which came in to force last April 2012.

Since my wife arrived here last December i have not logged on here much and i think i need to keep up to date with what is going on. :doh

Rory, the so-called 'new rules' were implemented 9th July 2012

Anyone being granted visa leading to settlement after that date will be following a basic 5 year immigration journey.

If your wife arrived December 2012 under old rules she will have an initial visa to remain here which has a vaidity of 33 months.
Shortly before the first period of 30 months living in UK has been reached she should then apply for a further period of 30 months under FLR(M)

Shortly before the 60 month (5 year) qualifying period ends she will be eligible to apply for ILR
Taking December 2012 as the base, she will be looking to apply for ILR sometime November 2017

Rory
10th April 2013, 13:33
Thank you for the dates, i will note them in my diary. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
10th April 2013, 13:50
Thank you for the dates, i will note them in my diary. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rory, please double check the actual dates that apply to your wife.
The dates I indicated were just a rough idea based on the general info you posted

Applications may be made up to 28 days before the anniversary date or visa expiry.

sars_notd_virus
10th April 2013, 18:10
We would want to stay a bit longer before we apply for naturalisation, to make the most of what we paid for premium service ILR , ...but ouch!! the fees increased in a blink :omg: and the IELTS will cost me £131 (Oxford) :omg:..NO more rip-off!!... I am applying for naturalisation before October!!

tboy555
10th April 2013, 19:26
Such a money-spinning joke. We passed english test in manila for fiancee visa. Post arrival and pre marriage, provider was then taken off the list so we had to go to Pearson and got the test done again for FLR (all disciplines passed at either B1 or B2). Now they change the rule again and pearson test only valid two years which means we will have to do it again before applying for a passport.

Three english tests for my wife who has held down a job here in London for the past year. Pathetic! Last hurrah for the 'UKBA' before it is disbanded completely. Good riddance to bad rubbish. What other changes will they slip in before we can apply for naturalisation next July?

Moy
12th April 2013, 14:51
argggggggggggg now im totally confuse am on ILR and would be eligible to apply this june if am correct (3 years) in the UK..what im suppose to do..apply before oct and will be exempted from new rule?? :cwm3: or will take test again to be able to apply citizenship..:76:

Moy
12th April 2013, 14:54
We would want to stay a bit longer before we apply for naturalisation, to make the most of what we paid for premium service ILR , ...but ouch!! the fees increased in a blink :omg: and the IELTS will cost me £131 (Oxford) :omg:..NO more rip-off!!... I am applying for naturalisation before October!!

SO YOU MEAN SARS if we apply before oct we wont b affected as i rem we both same scenario I am on ILR too 3 years here on June or was May sorry lols am in panic readinf this thread you know:yawn::doh

Terpe
12th April 2013, 15:31
argggggggggggg now im totally confuse am on ILR and would be eligible to apply this june if am correct (3 years) in the UK..what im suppose to do..apply before oct and will be exempted from new rule?? :cwm3: or will take test again to be able to apply citizenship..:76:

If you can make the budget Moy better to apply before 28 October then you will not be affected.

On or after 28 October will need new pass certificate English Language at B1 level

Moy
12th April 2013, 15:41
If you can make the budget Moy better to apply before 28 October then you will not be affected.

On or after 28 October will need new pass certificate English Language at B1 level

:cwm24: why it seems i came here in the UK These changes coming in every year sick of this weather plus the demand of things here..had enough lols:anerikke::xxaction-smiley-047:bigcry::cwm24:
anyway thanks for the rescue Terpe:biggrin::wink:

we all drain...first ILR NEW RULE BALH BLAH..what next..

John.C
12th April 2013, 20:21
I felt almost sick reading about this.
My friend will be applying for ILR in late October and until we check the dates again I fear that she will need this language test. She has already passed Life in UK test.
I have found a college that offers the Cambridge B1 exam but does anyone have any feel for what the course work involves for someone who has (obviously) been here for more than 4 years and speaks/writes English very well with maybe the odd mistake (saying He instead of She - things like that)
Any thoughts?
It all sounds like a complete nightmare...
And I guess expensive??????

Ps Huge thanks to Terpe for keeping us informed of these changes.

axis22
12th April 2013, 21:42
Well the shifting sands of uk immigration rules,more stress and expense for all involved,makes you wonder whats coming next.I really feel for those still coming through or thinking of applying,for sure it seems that fees are only going to go up.
The irony is that we actually need more immigration,much more due to the ageing population,the day may come when we offer incentives for people to settle here.:smile:

We may be fortunate as Rose arrived here 3 years ago on october 19th.She only just got her ILR last month so we hope it will be ok to apply for the naturalisation in october before the new requirement comes in.

sars_notd_virus
12th April 2013, 21:48
Hold on a minute guys !!!...The month of April is not over yet...meaning, there will be more changes:NoNo::doh
...just watch out for updates given by our valuable members here especially Terpe (thank you)

sars_notd_virus
12th April 2013, 21:53
SO YOU MEAN SARS if we apply before oct we wont b affected as i rem we both same scenario I am on ILR too 3 years here on June or was May sorry lols am in panic readinf this thread you know:yawn::doh

dont panic MOy, as long as you got the money and the documents for naturalisation everything will be fine ..I just cant be bothered to to sit for an English test especially if the test is NOT Free and I have to waste my one whole day of PAID work just to pay the leeches!!:cwm23:

Michael Parnham
12th April 2013, 22:35
Thank you so much for this information Peter, Don't know what most of us would do without your valuable helpful knowledge, I'm sure you are much appreciated by myself and many other forum members, Thankyou!

robbie bobby
13th April 2013, 00:46
Rory, the so-called 'new rules' were implemented 9th July 2012

Anyone being granted visa leading to settlement after that date will be following a basic 5 year immigration journey.

If your wife arrived December 2012 under old rules she will have an initial visa to remain here which has a vaidity of 33 months.
Shortly before the first period of 30 months living in UK has been reached she should then apply for a further period of 30 months under FLR(M)

Shortly before the 60 month (5 year) qualifying period ends she will be eligible to apply for ILR
Taking December 2012 as the base, she will be looking to apply for ILR sometime November 2017

Hi Terpe so this 5 year immigration journey...what does it comprise of now then?will the visa be valid for 33 months like old way or is it a 5 yr visa??what are the new challenges and what are the checkpoints so to speak on this basic 5 year immigration journey??

Terpe
13th April 2013, 07:58
Well the shifting sands of uk immigration rules,more stress and expense for all involved,makes you wonder whats coming next.I really feel for those still coming through or thinking of applying,for sure it seems that fees are only going to go up.
The irony is that we actually need more immigration,much more due to the ageing population,the day may come when we offer incentives for people to settle here.:smile:

We may be fortunate as Rose arrived here 3 years ago on october 19th.She only just got her ILR last month so we hope it will be ok to apply for the naturalisation in october before the new requirement comes in.

It looks like you'll be fine with the dates. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Be very careful and resist any temptation to apply early. There's a very key and important pass/fail requirement around the timing issue and UKBA caseworkers have no discretion at all.

Here's the spouse requirement:-

The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive your application. Most unsuccessful applications fail because the applicant was not present in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. You must make sure you meet this requirement before you make your application. For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2002.

Terpe
13th April 2013, 08:07
Hi Terpe so this 5 year immigration journey...what does it comprise of now then?will the visa be valid for 33 months like old way or is it a 5 yr visa??what are the new challenges and what are the checkpoints so to speak on this basic 5 year immigration journey??

I'm not sure I understand.
The post you quoted was my explanation to Rory about the current immigration rules.
There is no 5 year visa, just a 5 year qualifying period for ILR eligibility.

Hope that helps :xxgrinning--00xx3:

robbie bobby
13th April 2013, 11:24
sorry man.i thought they maybe changed the rules again.so my wifes visa will be the same under the new rules?will it still be valid for 33 months in initially?:icon_sorry:

John.C
13th April 2013, 11:46
I have been looking at the website of a Language College who offer the B1 test and they seem to be talking about a Language course.
Maybe that is for people who have no English at all but it would be good to hear from someone who has any idea of what is really involved for someone who has been here for a few years, and has good English (maybe not 100% perfect English...).
If they just need to pay the fee and then turn up on the date to take an exam, then although this new hurdle is annoying :mad: I guess we can live with that.

Please post if you have any idea about this test!

Terpe
13th April 2013, 13:56
sorry man.i thought they maybe changed the rules again.so my wifes visa will be the same under the new rules?will it still be valid for 33 months in initially?:icon_sorry:

Yes 33 months validity, but application for the next FLR(M) can be made 28 days (earliest) before 30 months anniversary of living here. Then that further leave is valid for another 30 months.

Terpe
13th April 2013, 14:03
I have been looking at the website of a Language College who offer the B1 test and they seem to be talking about a Language course.
Maybe that is for people who have no English at all but it would be good to hear from someone who has any idea of what is really involved for someone who has been here for a few years, and has good English (maybe not 100% perfect English...).
If they just need to pay the fee and then turn up on the date to take an exam, then although this new hurdle is annoying :mad: I guess we can live with that.

Please post if you have any idea about this test!

John, I'm not sure how much you know about these UKBA Visa requirements for English Language so forgive me if I get too basic.

The test requires B1 level of competency for Speaking and Listening.
Usually folks are just booking a test and taking it without going through a language course, but each to their own needs.

UKBA have a specified approved listing of Tests and Test Providers here.
The certificate must be awarded by a UKBA authorised source in that listing.
Check my opening post #1 for the links

John.C
13th April 2013, 16:06

The test requires B1 level of competency for Speaking and Listening.
Usually folks are just booking a test and taking it without going through a language course, but each to their own needs.

That is what I was hoping. My friend has "good" spoken and written English after being here for several years. Just occasionally she will mention her male boss and refer to him as "She" and I then correct her. I regard these as minor language difficulties. I have now seen some test questions for level B1 which look very easy.
So I will stop worrying!

Terpe
13th April 2013, 16:09
That is what I was hoping. My friend has "good" spoken and written English after being here for several years. Just occasionally she will mention her male boss and refer to him as "She" and I then correct her. I regard these as minor language difficulties. I have now seen some test questions for level B1 which look very easy.
So I will stop worrying!

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

My wife is always mixing 'he' and 'she' :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Confuses the hell out of me sometimes :doh

belle29
24th April 2013, 14:26
Hi guys it is confusing now lol, Is this affected me aswell,?, I been marriage 10 years to a British citizen and been together more than 4 years outside UK before I apply for my settlement visa back in November 2010 and in my settlement visa says KOL REQUIRED and so I only take the Life in the Uk test and passed it. Then I have apply for the ILR and receive the result after 8 weeks. My question is do I still need to take the knowledge of English as well when I apply for British citizen next year? thanks in advance guys x

Terpe
24th April 2013, 14:36
Hi guys it is confusing now lol, Is this affected me aswell,?, I been marriage 10 years to a British citizen and been together more than 4 years outside UK before I apply for my settlement visa back in November 2010 and in my settlement visa says KOL REQUIRED and so I only take the Life in the Uk test and passed it. Then I have apply for the ILR and receive the result after 8 weeks. My question is do I still need to take the knowledge of English as well when I apply for British citizen next year? thanks in advance guys x

Everyone who applies for Naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013 will need to have:-

1. A Life in UK Test (if a pass is already held then it will not need to be retaken)
2. A pass certificate for English Language speaking and listening at B1 level or higher

For you it means YES you will need that level B1 pass certificate for English Language speaking and listening.

belle29
24th April 2013, 14:47
Everyone who applies for Naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013 will need to have:-

For you it means YES you will need that level B1 pass certificate for English Language speaking and listening.

Thanks Terpe but OMG here we go again for something !?! lol x

Josieyam65
27th April 2013, 11:58
Anyone who applies for Naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013 will need to have:-

Hello Sir Terpe,

I just want to ask about this B1 level English test. I took my A1 level English test before i came to the UK. My results are B1 for Listening, B1 for Reading, B2 for speaking and B1 for Writing. My question is, do i still need to take that B1 English test when i apply for British Citizenship?

Thank you very much in advance.. :smile:

Terpe
27th April 2013, 12:26
Hello Sir Terpe,

I just want to ask about this B1 level English test. I took my A1 level English test before i came to the UK. My results are B1 for Listening, B1 for Reading, B2 for speaking and B1 for Writing. My question is, do i still need to take that B1 English test when i apply for British Citizenship?

If your English Language pass certificate states level B1 (or equivalent score) and.... your certificate is still valid (many certificates expire after 2 years) then you'll be fine with the one you have.
Which English Language test did you take?
If it's IELTS then your certificate might expire (or already be expired) before you're eligible for British Citizenship.
Better to check that so you can be prepared. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
27th April 2013, 12:26
Hello Sir Terpe,

If the certificate you have is still valid (or not past expiration date) by the time you apply for the ILR, then you don't need to retake your English test. Otherwise, you have to retake.

Josieyam65
27th April 2013, 12:37
Thanks, raynaputi. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I can't see any expiry date or validity date in the certificate. Its only the exam date. Does that mean its still valid?

Thanks again :smile:

raynaputi
27th April 2013, 13:26
Thanks, raynaputi. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I can't see any expiry date or validity date in the certificate. Its only the exam date. Does that mean its still valid?

Thanks again :smile:

What test did you take? If it was IELTS or TOEIC, then it would be expired since validity would only last for 2 years. Please check with your test provider to verify.

Josieyam65
27th April 2013, 15:20
I took the A1 level English test before i came here. :smile:

jamesy
27th April 2013, 17:00
hi guys i think everybodys getting a bit mixed up here regarding ilr and settlement ,also known as naturlisation, iv just studied the new rules from the ukba which come in to effect in october ,what i can make of all this is those appliying for i.l.r between now 27th of april and before the stated date in october ,must have one pass certificate of the life in the uk, whether it was obtained through the old test rules which ended in march this year ,or obtained by the new life in the uk test which started in late march this year ,indefinete leave to remain is settlement or also known as naturalisation, so if you submit your ilr visa application form now or just before the stated date in october when the requirements change ,then as far as i can see ,you dont have to sit another test, on the other hand ,as far as i can interpitate it ,if you submitt an application for i.l.r after the date in october then you must produce 2 pass certificates life in the uk and a pass at level b1 ,please double check the new rules as i may be wrong

raynaputi
27th April 2013, 17:16

Which test provider? Because you need to ask them if your test certificate has expiration or not. And if the test provider you took the test from is not included in the accredited list now, you might need to do a retake.

Terpe
27th April 2013, 17:36

Sorry to interrupt here, but ALL the tests on the UKBA approved list are at least A1 level.
But which specific test did you take?
Please take a look at your certificate.

Terpe
27th April 2013, 17:51
I don't think everyone is getting mixed up.
I think folks are just asking for clarification on the latest changes and how they may impact their planning for future ILR and Naturalisation applications.

hi guys i think everybodys getting a bit mixed up here regarding ilr and settlement ,also known as naturlisation

No jamesy, that's not correct.
ILR is Indefinite Leave to Remain. Also known as settlement or settled status.
Provided the holder does not leave UK for 2 years. or more. In which case the ILR is no longer valid.

ILR is not Naturalisation.
Naturalisation the process of applying for and securing British Citizenship.

Don't forget there are very strict rules on when you may or may not apply for ILR or Naturalisation.
Often folks also need some clarification on the differences between eligibility for application and the expiry of their individual visa.

Then there is the additional complication of whether existing English Language test results already meet the new B1 requirement already or not. Plus whether the English Language test certificate is still valid or not.

So it's easy to see why folks may need clarification.

Hope that clarifies.

Josieyam65
27th April 2013, 18:13
Sorry to interrupt here, but ALL the tests on the UKBA approved list are at least A1 level.
But which specific test did you take?
Please take a look at your certificate.

Hello Sir Terpe,

My certificate says...

This is to certify that _______ has achieved the following level in

English Language Skills Assessment

Subject - CEF
Listening - B1
Reading - B1
Speaking - B2
Writing - B1

Having been examined by EDI

joebloggs
27th April 2013, 19:01

had you been in the uk before nov 2010 ?

Terpe
27th April 2013, 19:38
Hello Sir Terpe,

My certificate says...

This is to certify that _______ has achieved the following level in

English Language Skills Assessment

Subject - CEF
Listening - B1
Reading - B1
Speaking - B2
Writing - B1

Having been examined by EDI

So you test was ELSA. (English Language Skills Assessment)

CEF = Common European Framework
EDI = Education Development International

I believe that ELSA scores may have a validity of 2 years.
I also think that EDI are no longer on the UKBA approved list.

I would strongly suggest you make contact to UKBA to confirm if the ELSA certification from EDI can be used

I'm sorry to say that I have a feeling if it's no longer on the UKBA approved list then it's no longer valid.

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:07
Thank you very much, Sir Terpe :smile:

I will contact the UKBA near the time :smile:

:68711_thanx:

lordna
28th April 2013, 13:27
Thank you so much for this information Peter, Don't know what most of us would do without your valuable helpful knowledge, I'm sure you are much appreciated by myself and many other forum members, Thankyou!

I will second that!....Many Thanks Peter

jamesy
11th May 2013, 01:44
hi terpe we my wife has 2 certificates one which she passed in may 2011 ita a S.C.Q F. LEVEL 2 english for speakers of other languages,which she needed for her spouse visa back in may 2011, she also passed life in the uk test on march the 7 2013 which were the requirments for her I L R VISA ,,it states on the certificate and i quote "following your test today in knowledge of life in the uk this is to certify that you have reached the level required for the purposes of obtaining i.l.r.under the immigration rules or for naturalisation as a british citizen under section 6 of the british nationality act 19 81.your sucess at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in english meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain.no further proof of this is needed .we shall notify the home office electronically about this result but please also submit this letter to them with your application form and fee .so can you please tell me if this means i.l.r and naturalisation are two totally different things and if so does that mean that my wife can use the life in the uk pass certificate twice as in for ilr and citizenship and would she need to submit the s v q certificate aswell and is it the correct certificate or will she have to sit another test , and please can you advise how and when can she apply for citizenship

raynaputi
11th May 2013, 08:49
hi terpe we my wife has 2 certificates one which she passed in may 2011 ita a S.C.Q F. LEVEL 2 english for speakers of other languages,which she needed for her spouse visa back in may 2011, she also passed life in the uk test on march the 7 2013 which were the requirments for her I L R VISA ,,it states on the certificate and i quote "following your test today in knowledge of life in the uk this is to certify that you have reached the level required for the purposes of obtaining i.l.r.under the immigration rules or for naturalisation as a british citizen under section 6 of the british nationality act 19 81.your sucess at this test also demonstrates that your level of competence in english meets the required standard for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain.no further proof of this is needed .we shall notify the home office electronically about this result but please also submit this letter to them with your application form and fee .so can you please tell me if this means i.l.r and naturalisation are two totally different things and if so does that mean that my wife can use the life in the uk pass certificate twice as in for ilr and citizenship and would she need to submit the s v q certificate aswell and is it the correct certificate or will she have to sit another test , and please can you advise how and when can she apply for citizenship

Does her SCQF certificate have an expiration date? If it does and it expires before October 2013, she needs to retake the test. Please check if her test certificate has any expiration or not. I understand that she just submitted her ILR application from your other thread. ILR is different from Naturalisation. ILR is Indefinite Leave to Remain or Settlement visa. Regarding the Life in the UK test, she can use it for both ILR and Naturalisation applications. The passing certificate for Life in the UK doesn't have an expiration.

jamesy
11th May 2013, 15:27
The SCQF Certificate only has the date on which my wife sat the test printed on it - which was in May 2011 - there's nothing at all that we can see with an expiry date. So, do we have to submit both Life in the UK Pass Certificate and the SCQF Certificate when she eventually applies for naturalisation?

Thanks for your help.

raynaputi
11th May 2013, 15:43
The SCQF Certificate only has the date on which my wife sat the test printed on it - which was in May 2011 - there's nothing at all that we can see with an expiry date. So, do we have to submit both Life in the UK Pass Certificate and the SCQF Certificate when she eventually applies for naturalisation?

Thanks for your help.

It's better to contact the test provider to make it sure that the test doesn't have any expiration. And yes, your wife needs to submit both passing certificate of Life in the UK and English test (with a grade of B1 or higher) if she would apply for naturalisation on or after October 2013.

raynaputi
11th May 2013, 15:50
I just checked this website http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/8625.html (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/8625.html) and seen that SCQF is equivalent to ESOL. So I can see now that your wife can submit the certificate she has for Naturalisation. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jamesy
11th May 2013, 20:20
You learn something new every day! Thanks for the advice - most appreciated - I honestly thought they were both the same. :crazy:

jamesy
11th May 2013, 20:22
Thanks a lot again. Very kind of you to help us. :smile:

jamesy
14th May 2013, 19:41
My wife's SCQF will only meet the present requirements for citizenship, but on or after October 28th 2013, her present pass certificate doesn't meet the new requirements. Therefore she will have to sit another test as she can't apply for citizenship until she has been living here for 3 years as a spouse or civil partner, which will be early next year. We're also having difficulty in finding an Approved Test Centre in Scotland where she can take this exam

purple
15th May 2013, 10:26
Thanks peter its crazy that someone can live here for 3yrs & still needs to pass an english speaking test :doh

I think that's pretty understandable. I can understand it from UKBA point of view.

I've seen some people here who are residents and been here for 10 years and still not fluent with the English language.
I think that is only fair, like there are children who go to school and don't even speak a word of English because their parents who are residents here are not good with it.

You guys here are lucky because Filipinos speak decent conversational English :)

macky
23rd November 2014, 19:17
Hiya all...I've passed my Life in the UK test 2009..now to qualify for citizenship I have to have ESOL certificate? I have gone back college and finished Health and Social Care Level 2. Is that a proof of evidence that I'm qualified to get the citizenship or do I need to take ESOL still??

Terpe
24th November 2014, 01:16
Hiya all...I've passed my Life in the UK test 2009..now to qualify for citizenship I have to have ESOL certificate? I have gone back college and finished Health and Social Care Level 2. Is that a proof of evidence that I'm qualified to get the citizenship or do I need to take ESOL still??

You need to submit an English Language pass certificate at Level B1 minimum.

This must be from those indicated in the UKVI approved listing.

tone
2nd January 2015, 15:03
Hi All
I have a question about the citizenship Form AN.

Situation Summary:-
Rina has an ILR. Obviously the LIUK and English A2 pass.

He passport and BRP are still in maiden name, can we apply for citizenship so that the naturalisation certificate is in married name, then british passport can be in married name too?

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

Tone

Terpe
2nd January 2015, 23:45
Tone, it's no problem.
Take a look at the form and guidance. It's covered and explained exactly what to do.

raynaputi
3rd January 2015, 00:01
Hi All
I have a question about the citizenship Form AN.

Situation Summary:-
Rina has an ILR. Obviously the LIUK and English A2 pass.

He passport and BRP are still in maiden name, can we apply for citizenship so that the naturalisation certificate is in married name, then british passport can be in married name too?

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

Tone

Tone, Rina needs to present an English test equivalent to B1 level and not A2.

Arthur Little
3rd January 2015, 00:46
N.B. Difference, of course, being that the governing body's now known as UKVI instead of its former UKBA title in the original reference to this 'Sticky' thread. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

But ... :anerikke: ... I imagine Tone's already aware of the changeover. :biggrin:

tone
3rd January 2015, 13:09
Thanks All - now filled in and yes She has B1 exam pass.

Just need to sort out professional referees and we can get it sent off.

Thanks

Tone

Michael Parnham
3rd January 2015, 16:53
Thanks All - now filled in and yes She has B1 exam pass.

Just need to sort out professional referees and we can get it sent off.

Thanks

Tone

Referees? We don't know anyone of a professional capacity! :Erm:

tone
3rd January 2015, 20:05
Referees? We don't know anyone of a professional capacity! :Erm:

Hi Michael.

It's a good list actually and even myself (MBCS) can do this for someone I know!

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf

Have a look at the above link - Nurses, Doctors, Computer Professionals, Chemists (to name a few) can be referees for you.

Tone

Michael Parnham
3rd January 2015, 23:01
Wow, thanks Tone, much appreciated! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
31st January 2015, 18:17
Hi, quick one, I've been reading again and again the guidance notes on the Gov UK website, plus googling, but there just isn't an answer I can find anywhere.

Regarding the FLR, is there a maximum period in advance you can apply for this? I mean, wifey is having friends tell her it's time she applies for her FLR, it runs out next year....yes 2016.
I'm sure this is wrong though. Thing is, all the official site says is - apply before the old visa runs out. Well that could be a day after it was first issued, not really helpful.

Thanks again and sorry for being a bit thick here :icon_lol:

Terpe
1st February 2015, 01:41
Hi, quick one, I've been reading again and again the guidance notes on the Gov UK website, plus googling, but there just isn't an answer I can find anywhere.

Regarding the FLR, is there a maximum period in advance you can apply for this? I mean, wifey is having friends tell her it's time she applies for her FLR, it runs out next year....yes 2016.
I'm sure this is wrong though. Thing is, all the official site says is - apply before the old visa runs out. Well that could be a day after it was first issued, not really helpful.

Thanks again and sorry for being a bit thick here :icon_lol:

How long has your wife been living here in UK as spouse ?
To be eligible for the second FLR(M) she needs 30 months. Means she can apply max 28 days before that.

Don't forget that the second FLR(M) is issued for 30 months also. If the visas get issued too far in advance she'll fall short on the residence requirement eligibility for ILR and be forced to apply for a third FLR just to meet the ILR residence requirements.
No point at all in making early applications.

Iani
3rd February 2015, 20:53
Ahh that's brilliant, thanks for that.
Weird thing is that I just couldn't find it on the official websites.

Anyway, she arrived in April 2013 and the visa runs out in January 2016, so I guess that means we apply October.

Anyway, thanks again, excellent to know that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
15th April 2015, 21:09
Hi, mind if I ask something to clarify please?

So, the initial visa is of course for 30 months. She entered the country on the 27th April 2013.
The visa runs out on 09/01/2016.
So, she will have been here for 30 months to meet the residency on the 27th October this year - 2015.

So am I right in thinking, we could apply 28 days before this date - say about the 30th September(ish)? Or up until the end of October?

The reason I am asking, well it's this new language requirement. Her original pass was in ESOL, which of course is now defunct, but can be used in applications up until the 5th November 2015. Be good then to get applied before then.
I know she could pass the test in IELTS, but they have a validity of 2 years, and if she had to pass this to apply for the FLR, then it would be a bit crazy as she'd have to retake it once again before the ILR.

Many thanks again

Terpe
16th April 2015, 06:41
So, the initial visa is of course for 30 months.

Sorry to be pedantic. The initial visa for entry clearance is issued under 33 months validity.
There's an additional 3 months so that there's time for the physical relocation to UK and still qualify under the 30 months residency requirement.
At the FLR(M) application the visa issued will be for 30 months. With proper planning it's easily possible to meet the total 60 months residency requirement for ILR eligibility without an unnecessary extra FLR(M) application.
It's for this reason that it's better not to apply for the FLR(M) any early than needed as it's possible not to be able to reach the 60 month target.

Sorry Iani if you knew all this stuff but just for those readers who may not be aware.

She entered the country on the 27th April 2013.
The visa runs out on 09/01/2016.
So, she will have been here for 30 months to meet the residency on the 27th October this year - 2015.

So am I right in thinking, we could apply 28 days before this date - say about the 30th September(ish)? Or up until the end of October?

Yes, you can apply up to a maximum of 28 days before the 30 month anniversary if necessary. Do be sure not to apply so early that the issued 30 month visa prevents meeting the total 60 months residency.
Actually, the latest you can apply is the visa expiry date.

The reason I am asking, well it's this new language requirement. Her original pass was in ESOL, which of course is now defunct, but can be used in applications up until the 5th November 2015. Be good then to get applied before then.

Yes, that's correct.
Paragraph 32D of the Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE applies provided there is also compliance under transitional arrangements:-

Under transitional arrangements, applicants who took an approved test before 6 April 2015 may continue to rely on that test (if it was in Appendix O on 5 April 2015) to meet the English language requirement in a partner or parent application as long as they submit their application before 6 November 2015 and regardless of whether the test was taken at a test centre approved by the Secretary of State as a secure English language test centre. The list of approved providers and tests at 5 April 2015 is available on gov.uk at URL="https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/405631/selt_transitional.pdf"]Approved SELT tests - transitional list.[/URL]

I know she could pass the test in IELTS, but they have a validity of 2 years, and if she had to pass this to apply for the FLR, then it would be a bit crazy as she'd have to retake it once again before the ILR.

Actually Iani, the Immigration Rules allow for a previously awarded B1 grade pass (such as IELTS) for English Language to be perfectly acceptable for both ILR and Naturalisation applications, even if the certificate itself is expired.

Take a look here (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/184681/response/471065/attach/3/Qualifications%20fact%20sheet%20V2.0.pdf
)

Means your timing decisions concerning both B1 level English Language and Like in The UK test are essentially under your own control as expiration is not an issue.

Personally I always advise folks to secure both as early as possible in order to avoid any time pressures.

If you'd like to see 'chapter and verse' from the immigration rules on ILR English Language tests and Life in UK test then follow this link to the
Immigration Rules - Appendix KoLL (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/420549/20150406_immigration_rules_appendix_koll_final.pdf)

Just as a footnote - everyone should check stated sources to satisfy themselves that the info remains valid.

Iani
16th April 2015, 18:51
Thanks for that, that clears a lot of things up, really appreciated