PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about dongles and data usage?

Ako Si Jamie
10th April 2013, 22:34
A bit of a peculiar question but here goes.

If you had a 1GB dongle idly connected to the internet, how long would it take to eat up the 1GB?

robbie bobby
10th April 2013, 23:26
long time if normal web browsing .id say 3-4 months.if you download stuff the that's different
A bit of a peculiar question but here goes.

If you had a 1GB dongle idly connected to the internet, how long would it take to eat up the 1GB?

J&G
10th April 2013, 23:41
I think it depends what you mean by 'idly'. If you're literally not doing anything (i.e. no web pages open at all), then, yeah, probably a long time, but as soon as you start opening/closing web pages, it starts eating up data, and even computer programs can eat some (e.g. anti-virus program automatically checking the net for its latest updates). There's probably an application you can download to track it. - When I was in the Phils, I used to use Globe's Wifi internet, and its router allowed me to track my data usage - Be warned of things like YouTube videos! Even though they're streaming vids, they still can easily eat up tens or even hundreds of MB per video. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
11th April 2013, 08:45
If you are always on here not long :icon_lol:

The best way is to buy a 1GB, if that runs out get the 5GB package for it.

Most people don't know this, but a lot of the modern smartphones can be used as a modem, so if you get a cheap phone that does, and a PAYG with unlimited internet, then it may work out cheaper in the long run.

Dedworth
11th April 2013, 10:43
Why leave the dongle plugged in and connected if you aren't using it ?

Ako Si Jamie
11th April 2013, 21:16
Thanks all

Ako Si Jamie
11th April 2013, 21:23
If you are always on here not long :icon_lol:

The best way is to buy a 1GB, if that runs out get the 5GB package for it.

Most people don't know this, but a lot of the modern smartphones can be used as a modem, so if you get a cheap phone that does, and a PAYG with unlimited internet, then it may work out cheaper in the long run.Cheers for that Keith:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have unlimited data on my phone contract but the actual phone doesn't allow tethering but I've been thinking of getting a new phone anyway. Now it should pay for itself :waver:

Thanks again.

Ako Si Jamie
11th April 2013, 21:25
Why leave the dongle plugged in and connected if you aren't using it ?I wasn't going to do that. I just wondered how long it would take to eat the data.

somebody
23rd June 2013, 22:33
How longs a piece of string, what programs do you have installed are MS updates automatically installed?

If you had everything set to auto update and possibly some widgets running checking the weather etc then you might use quite a chunk of it.

MS updates over say 30 days can be 100-200 mb unless something exceptional happens. Anti virus or malware might download something under 10mbs a day.

So unless you had installed a P2P download/torrent program and left sitting in the background (some people leave them on and forget other people can download (so upload from your device) which might affect your data.

Programs like Itunes,googledrive or dropbox if set to sync or data is synced to the pc can affect your data

Also Malware might also upload or download data, so if you see high usage and no reason for it INVESTIGATE!!!