PDA

View Full Version : Independence: Alert over passports following ‘Yes’

joebloggs
14th April 2013, 08:15
28 to 40 million :cwm25:

Leading academics say the country’s ability to offer automatic citizenship to those with ties to Scotland – or children born in the country to non-nationals –may be constrained if the country votes Yes to independence next year.
Between 28 and 40 million people claim Scottish ancestry worldwide, according to Scottish Government estimates. Some may want a Scottish passport .after independence.

read more .. http://www.scotsman.com/news/independence-alert-over-passports-following-yes-1-2894323

Iani
14th April 2013, 12:36
It might not be as big a deal as they are thinking. At a guess, those who might claim Scottish ancestry are more likely to be living in highly developed countries like the USA and Australia, few are likely to be in Mombasa or Pakistan, who might see it as desirable to enter the EU by the back door.

In other words, they could come visit Scotland or the EU on their own passports anyway.

If anything the EU should tighten up on certain countries who give passports to anyone living there for a couple of years - who can then stroll into any other EU country including ours. Hrmph

Terpe
14th April 2013, 12:39
I wonder if I've got Scottish genes :Erm: I like wearing skirts :biggrin:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

joebloggs
14th April 2013, 12:55
It might not be as big a deal as they are thinking. At a guess, those who might claim Scottish ancestry are more likely to be living in highly developed countries like the USA and Australia, few are likely to be in Mombasa or Pakistan, who might see it as desirable to enter the EU by the back door.

In other words, they could come visit Scotland or the EU on their own passports anyway.

If anything the EU should tighten up on certain countries who give passports to anyone living there for a couple of years - who can then stroll into any other EU country including ours. Hrmph

true, but if they want to come to the UK, the UK sponsor still has to show they meet the minimum financial requirements, and I've posted recently i think a few stories about non Europeans married to Brits (not from the phils, i think Americans, singapore?) who couldn't meet the financial requirements.

Iani
14th April 2013, 13:06
true, but if they want to come to the UK, the UK sponsor still has to show they meet the minimum financial requirements, and I've posted recently i think a few stories about non Europeans married to Brits (not from the phils, i think Americans, singapore?) who couldn't meet the financial requirements.

Ahh now I see where you're coming from. I was thinking of people visiting, but of course an EU passport gives residency rights to an extent.

Of course, that is taking for granted Scotland would get EU membership, which some say is not certain (but unlikely they would be refused, come on!)

joebloggs
14th April 2013, 13:41
if the figure is correct of 28-40 million, and say only 10% applied for a Scottish passport, whats stopping them going to Scotland or worse England :cwm24:

hawk
14th April 2013, 13:50
would that mean i could go to scotland for the 3 months and get my wife join me then go to england with her :Jump: