PDA

View Full Version : Drinks that.................nobody drinks really.....or do they?

Iani
20th April 2013, 09:38
So, what's yellow, comes out at Christmas, and no-one really knows what it tastes like?

On my shopping the other day, whilst standing in the queue, I was glancing longingly at the drinks shelf, and I saw a bottle of advocaat.

This got me thinking, does anyone actually drink this alcoholic custard?

Now another drink which I just don't "get" is Baileys, however I can sort of understand why someone might drink it for a special occasion. It does have a certain je ne sais pas (French for :censored: if I know mate)

Really though - advocaat? Is it like babycham - you never hear of that nowadays either

stevewool
20th April 2013, 10:02
advocaat is that what you call snowballs, i remember my mum having snowballs at xmas time and i am sure advocaat was the drink involved

bigmarco
20th April 2013, 10:28
advocaat is that what you call snowballs, i remember my mum having snowballs at xmas time and i am sure advocaat was the drink involved

That's right Steve my mum used to drink it at Christmas as well. Never tried it myself.

stevewool
20th April 2013, 11:02
dont forget the cherry on top too, i can see her now:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
20th April 2013, 11:16
My mum too. Advocaat mixed with lemonade and a cocktail cherry on a stick. Snowball. Must be Christmas.

I quite like Snowball :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We were in Amsterdam recently and I had a chance to try some different sample, even one that needed to be eaten with a spoon :icon_lol:

I quite like neat Advocaat :hubbahubba:

imagine
20th April 2013, 11:32
my mam used to drink it at xmas, with lemonade, iv tried it , tastes ok, on hear say its good to gain weight ?

imagine
20th April 2013, 11:38
babycham with a bottled beer, cant remember which beer it was:Erm:

Terpe
20th April 2013, 11:39
..... on hear say its good to gain weight ?

No more for me then :doh

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/113/259682359_e26e203c81.jpg

imagine
20th April 2013, 11:44
No more for me then :doh

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/113/259682359_e26e203c81.jpg

9 months gone there :icon_lol:

stevewool
20th April 2013, 11:45
was there a drink called brown and mild, or was it half and half of something, you can see i am a drinker knowing all these names

Michael Parnham
20th April 2013, 23:48
Do you remember Egg Flip?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
21st April 2013, 01:09
If it's free, or the only thing that's left, I'll drink it. :biggrin:

Iani
21st April 2013, 08:15
I have a friend who at a party, was so desperate for drink, that when she dropped a bottle of wine, she dropped to the floor and started sucking the carpet

grahamw48
21st April 2013, 10:39
I remember one day coming home from the corner shop when I was about 20, dropping and breaking a jar of coffee on the pavement outside my flat, so I went inside and got my dustpan and brush...and a spare jar.

I've not changed much. :icon_lol:

Ako Si Jamie
27th July 2013, 21:58
Vimto or Tizer.

Who drinks that?

imagine
27th July 2013, 22:16
Vimto or Tizer.

Who drinks that?

sasperella when i was a kid one of the sweet shops used to make and sell it in a glass you would drink it in the shop, i have never found any other sasperella that tastes like it, it was an amazing taste

sheriel
27th July 2013, 22:16
Here in our part of the world,CIDER is all the rage,cold,there is even Draught PEAR CIDER,now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
27th July 2013, 22:34
and CIDRE that Belgian stuff. Haven't tried it yet so don't know what it's like.

grahamw48
27th July 2013, 22:40
Vimto or Tizer.

Who drinks that?

Tizer...Yorkshire folk drink it...plus 'Dandelion and Burdock'. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
27th July 2013, 22:48
Don't know what's worse. Tizer, Vimto or Irn Bru.

Dedworth
27th July 2013, 22:48
I bought Vimto, Iron Brew (generic Cotts stuff) & Cream Soda today

Arthur Little
27th July 2013, 23:37
This got me thinking, does anyone actually drink this alcoholic custard?

Advocaat? Yes ... my late first wife occasionally did when we
used to go dancing in the mid-'60s before we were married.
:anerikke: ... indeed, I seem to recall, it was the ONLY alcohol she
ever drank.

Arthur Little
28th July 2013, 00:00
Advocaat mixed with lemonade and a cocktail cherry on a stick. Snowball.

.................... :yeahthat:'s right ... mixed with plain lemonade and rounded~off with a glace cherry on a cocktail stick.

Whilst I'd usually have a pint of lager & lime. :66:

grahamw48
28th July 2013, 00:36
Creme de Menthe.

I once drank half a bottle, neat, on the way back from the Canary Islands...along with a whole real Madeira cake. :Cuckoo:

imagine
28th July 2013, 00:40
lemonade and ice cream

Michael Parnham
28th July 2013, 12:11
I used to enjoy Lucozade, it was supposed to be used for medicinal purposes! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
28th July 2013, 12:17
I used to enjoy Lucozade, it was suppose to be used for medicinal purposes!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I still do, now in small plastic bottles, different flavours. I like the orange, but can't beat the original taste :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
28th July 2013, 12:45
I remember as a kid you could only buy lucozade in a big glass bottle. Nowadays it's in different sizes and flavours. Best buying the packs from Iceland, works out far cheaper than buying single bottles.

Iani
28th July 2013, 13:06
Cider? Oooarrrrr.

Elsewhere than in the west country though, it's known as a drink for tramps and teenagers. Tramps because you can get the stuff bloody cheap in huge plastic bottles, and teenagers who want to look the big man, but can't take normal drinks which have an aquired taste (Cider after all tastes very similar to some soft drinks).

This really is a pity, and if the government is serious about stopping binge drinking, they would do as well to ban alcohol being sold in large plastic bottles dirt cheap. Cider can be a great drink on a hot day - but has a bit of an image problem.

Oh, the mentioned Stella "Cidre", it's pretty nice stuff. Not the best cider ever but better than some

Terpe
28th July 2013, 17:56
There's some very nice premium cider's out in the market these days, especially those flavoured ones.
All the top premiums now do them. Many of them get used in place of a wine. Good value and great taste with lower alcohol than a wine.
Try the large bottle of Jacques fruit cider :hubbahubba:

Dedworth
28th July 2013, 18:20
I like Cider, had a couple of bottles of Westons cloundy 7.3% Old rosie last night. I disagree Terpe about those flavoured cider smacks of alcopop to me and also dislike the way the brewers are marketing Pear Cider it should only be known as perry, cider is made from apples .

Terpe
28th July 2013, 18:42
I like Cider, had a couple of bottles of Westons cloundy 7.3% Old rosie last night. I disagree Terpe about those flavoured cider smacks of alcopop to me and also dislike the way the brewers are marketing Pear Cider it should only be known as perry, cider is made from apples .

Well, they taste OK to me. Much better than those old alcopops, mind you I'm not much of a cider drinker.
The Stella Cidre tastes rather nice too.
Seems that Cider, in all it's variants is enjoying a revival. Most are quite pricey though

I certainly wouldn't class Jacques, Magners or Kopparberg ciders as alcopops.

Dedworth
29th July 2013, 11:16
Well, they taste OK to me. Much better than those old alcopops, mind you I'm not much of a cider drinker.
The Stella Cidre tastes rather nice too.
Seems that Cider, in all it's variants is enjoying a revival. Most are quite pricey though

I certainly wouldn't class Jacques, Magners or Kopparberg ciders as alcopops.

Yes the Stella & Magners apple versions do have a great taste. I think Strongbow has got a bit better but some of the cheap stuff (ie most of Aston Manors production) tastes like they've suspended a single apple in a couple of hundred hectolitres of 4.8% by vol tap water

Terpe
29th July 2013, 11:20
I've not had Strongbow for years. Nor Woodpecker.

Last time I fancied one I just didn't rate the taste at all and was very disappointed.

Dedworth
29th July 2013, 11:37
I've not had Strongbow for years.

If you want some Bowtime it's £13 for 20 x 440ml in Tescos - Bulmers is now owned by Heineken

fred
29th July 2013, 17:05
That yellow stuff that my mother kept in her drinks cabinet?Do you really want to go down this road with me????