PDA

View Full Version : Building collapse in Bangladesh

grahamw48
25th April 2013, 18:29
I know some of us moan on about certain countries, religions etc, but this tragedy really moved me.

Those poor people, working so hard for long hours to provide Western shops with cheap clothes...then to suffer a horrible death because of uncaring bosses, corruption and greed.

Just so very sad.

KeithD
25th April 2013, 18:43
I'm surprised more buildings don't collapse, but it just shows that if a decent earthquakes hits the death toll would hit 100,000+

Dedworth
25th April 2013, 22:44
Tragic event

jake
26th April 2013, 02:17
Very well said Graham.

Nearly everything we wear is usually made by someone who works in slave labour conditions. :cwm25:

SimonH
26th April 2013, 06:43
I'm probably going to upset a few people here, but I see it a different way.
Firstly there's no doubt that this was a tragic event, but trying to put the blame or making us feel guilty is just a distraction from the cause.
Yes they are paid a ridiculously low wage, but by whose standards? Does anyone think that if we were willing to pay twice as much for our clothes that the wages would double over there? No, the owners of the firms would still find somewhere cheap to rent or buy, pay the same wage and make twice the profit. The workers get paid the going rate for that kind of work in that country.
The problem lies with the people being allowed to work in a building waiting to collapse, if it were here the building would have been condemned and if people had been in there working when it collapsed the owners would be facing man slaughter charges.
I wish the media would focus on what caused the accident and how to prevent future incidents like this rather than trying to make us feel guilty for buying from the likes of Primark.

andy222
26th April 2013, 06:51
Interesting comments Simon and very true.:xxgrinning--00xx3:. Obviously we see a bargain and we buy it. We dont think about where it was made and where it came from.

jake
10th May 2013, 13:57
Amazing news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22477414

There was also a woman who gave birth while trapped underneath the rubble. The mother and child have made a full recovery :smile:

grahamw48
10th May 2013, 15:28
Yes, amazing. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
10th May 2013, 15:39
I'm probably going to upset a few people here, but I see it a different way.
Firstly there's no doubt that this was a tragic event, but trying to put the blame or making us feel guilty is just a distraction from the cause.
Yes they are paid a ridiculously low wage, but by whose standards? Does anyone think that if we were willing to pay twice as much for our clothes that the wages would double over there? No, the owners of the firms would still find somewhere cheap to rent or buy, pay the same wage and make twice the profit. The workers get paid the going rate for that kind of work in that country.
The problem lies with the people being allowed to work in a building waiting to collapse, if it were here the building would have been condemned and if people had been in there working when it collapsed the owners would be facing man slaughter charges.
I wish the media would focus on what caused the accident and how to prevent future incidents like this rather than trying to make us feel guilty for buying from the likes of Primark.

Perhaps if people shopped with bit more of a conscience then we could change things. Companies will change if consumers turn against them. Just look at Starbucks.
So don't buy the Tat in Primark and avoid Nike shoes, don't drink Starbucks and avoid Apple and many others.
I'm probably as guilty as most but I do make an effort. When we do our grocery shop I always try to buy British.
Buy British because it benefits us. British Water British Fruits and Veg and British Meat and Good Old British Beer.

SimonH
10th May 2013, 15:57
Nice philosophy Marco, but unfortunately totally unrealistic. Can you name me any British clothes brands that are actually made in Britain? How far do we take this, we don't grow cotton in this country and I expect the cotton pickers are paid the going rate for cotton pickers in whatever country they work. We as consumers can't be held responsible for the working conditions or rate of pay that these people have.
Maybe one suggestion would be to for clothes shops have something similar to the supermarkets have like a 'fairtrade' label. We could then have the option of buying with our conscience rather than our wallet.

Ako Si Jamie
10th May 2013, 19:17
We could then have the option of buying with our conscience rather than our wallet.Just don't expect any compassion from the Conservatives of this country.:wink: