PDA

View Full Version : Laptop momitor problem

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:13
Hello Guys,
Just want your expertise to tell me what happened to my laptop.
After 6 months of using my laptop, i was surprise that the monitor switched off (while i was using). I tried to turn it off, and turned it on again, formatting, etc. but the monitor still stays black. So my husband said that its still in warranty, so we sent it back to Acer who were hopeless.
The first time they said it was the hard drive, this was replaced and the problem still persisted. I sent it back a second time and they replaced the memory. And the third time they did nothing. They said there was nothing wrong with it.
But after all this, the problem was the same. The only way I could use it was by linking it up to the TV or monitor, through a HDMI cable.
The laptop screen does work about 5% of the time, very rarely. It seems to take notions and always on start up it works while loading windows and then would switch off.

Hope someone can tell what is really wrong in my monitor.

Thanks in advance.

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:16
I know this sounds a bit far fetched but its not going into sleep mode is it after windows boots up?

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:18
No, les_taxi, its not in sleep mode :(

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:19
Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options.
from there it doesn't matter which plan you pick (Balanced, Power Saver, High Performance). choose one and click Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings.
Under Procecessor Power Management, make sure the Minimum and Maximum settings are at 100%

imagine
28th April 2013, 10:19
have you checked the settings and sure its not going in to sleep mode /standby?
though i think if it was that then maybe it wouldnt work on tv,

other than that i dont know

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:20
just googled this set of queries maybe here somewhere
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB524GB524&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&gs_rn=11&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=c2GgQ4hxJ9FBohn-0liktg&cp=29&gs_id=2g&xhr=t&q=laptop+screen+keeps+going+off&es_nrs=true&pf=p&rlz=1C1CHFX_enGB524GB524&sclient=psy-ab&oq=laptop+screen+keeps+going+off&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&fp=445bc46e3dbe418c&ion=1&biw=1920&bih=912

imagine
28th April 2013, 10:20
from there it doesn't matter which plan you pick (Balanced, Power Saver, High Performance). choose one and click Change Plan Settings, then Change Advanced Power Settings.
Under Procecessor Power Management, make sure the Minimum and Maximum settings are at 100%

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:23

We've done this the first time, but its still the same.

Just wondering if its a video card problem?

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:27
have you checked the settings and sure its not going in to sleep mode /standby?
though i think if it was that then maybe it wouldnt work on tv,

other than that i dont know

Yes, imagine, we've done that before. The problem still persist.

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:32
Try propping laptop of desk so air gets under it,a lot of laptops overheat

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:37
I have a laptop stand and fan under it.

Thank you very much for the replies, les_taxi :smile:

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:40
Acer seem a poor company,my sister had one a few years back and after numerous returns she got her money back.
Might be worth mentioning watchdog or something like that.
Ask for money back or at least a replacement:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 10:44
Acer seem a poor company,my sister had one a few years back and after numerous returns she got her money back.

Thats a good idea!!! hahaha. Thanks very much!

But its not under warranty anymore :(

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 10:59
maybe you could get into the Bios and have a look through that and if all ace fails just reset your Bios to default-anything is worth a go

imagine
28th April 2013, 11:03
might be worth running check disc scan, nothing to loose by trying

joebloggs
28th April 2013, 11:37
does it work fine all the time when you use your hdmi cable ?

when the display goes black - does the laptop still appear still to be working ok apart from no display ? does the caps lock work etc or has it shutdown or gone in standby ?
if you connect the hdmi cable and switch to external display is it still working ?

if so sounds like either the display cable is loose ( or faulty) that goes from the system board to the display or it might be the inverter board\back light is faulty- can you see anything at all on the display - look under a bright light.

Jamesey
28th April 2013, 12:02
Another simple check, but have you tried pressing the "Fn" key with "F5". this should switch between the laptop screen and an external display.

I'm typing this on an Acer laptop now. I bought it about 2 years ago, when it was cheap and quite high spec. However, after 18 months, small vertical lines appeared on the screen and they're getting worse! It's over a year, so it's out of warranty, but I expect a laptop to last more than 18 months. I won't be buying another Acer!

The HP I use at work feels solid and is built very well, even if it is a bit heavy.

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 12:58
does it work fine all the time when you use your hdmi cable ?

when the display goes black - does the laptop still appear still to be working ok apart from no display ? does the caps lock work etc or has it shutdown or gone in standby ?
if you connect the hdmi cable and switch to external display is it still working ?

if so sounds like either the display cable is loose ( or faulty) that goes from the system board to the display or it might be the inverter board\back light is faulty- can you see anything at all on the display - look under a bright light.

Yes, joebloggs, if i connect it to the tv, everthing is working except the display.

And if the display cable is loose, is it possible for me to fix it?

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 13:03
might be worth running check disc scan, nothing to loose by trying

I did scan disc as well, but still the same. :smile:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 13:07
Another simple check, but have you tried pressing the "Fn" key with "F5". this should switch between the laptop screen and an external display.

I'm typing this on an Acer laptop now. I bought it about 2 years ago, when it was cheap and quite high spec. However, after 18 months, small vertical lines appeared on the screen and they're getting worse! It's over a year, so it's out of warranty, but I expect a laptop to last more than 18 months. I won't be buying another Acer!

The HP I use at work feels solid and is built very well, even if it is a bit heavy.

Hello Jamesey, we also did that Fn and F5 before. But the problems still persist.

And same as you, i won't buy any Acer laptop again, hahaha.

raynaputi
28th April 2013, 14:12

My laptop is Acer and it's still working very good after 2 years (bought it in Manila)! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
28th April 2013, 14:51
I wouldn't bother messing about with it. The machine is only 6 months old go back to the retailer or online seller say they are "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and demand a full refund

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/shropshire/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product/

If they refuse take a small claims court action against them (can do it online)

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/when-should-i-use-the-small-claims-court-/

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 15:10
I wouldn't bother messing about with it. The machine is only 6 months old go back to the retailer or online seller say they are "not fit for purpose" under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and demand a full refund

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/shropshire/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product/

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/when-should-i-use-the-small-claims-court-/

Hello Dedworth,

Thanks for the advice. As i said in my post, it was 6 months that the problem started. We tried the recovery disks, it was alright after that, but after 1-2 days the problem occurred again. So maybe on the 7th month we sent it to acer. And it took weeks for the laptop to be repaired, even though It wasn't fixed. The third time was about 11 months and when returned was out of warranty. We sent them another email, but they didnt reply because its not under their warranty anymore.

imagine
28th April 2013, 16:08
Hello Dedworth,

Thanks for the advice. As i said in my post, it was 6 months that the problem started. We tried the recovery disks, it was alright after that, but after 1-2 days the problem occurred again. So maybe on the 7th month we sent it to acer. And it took weeks for the laptop to be repaired, even though It wasn't fixed. The third time was about 11 months and when returned was out of warranty. We sent them another email, but they didnt reply because its not under their warranty anymore.

of course the last time you sent it to them they knew your warrenty was almost up, they delay a little , send it back to you knowing , you have not enough warrenty left to send again,

joebloggs
28th April 2013, 18:36

Hello Dedworth,

yes but they haven't fixed the original fault :doh
it sounds like it could be backlight has gone (but you should still be able to see something but very feint) more likely the inverter board, possibly the video cable, but i don't think its a video controller fault as you say it works ok thru hdmi.

look at this, shine a torch on it, can you see your desktop ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DosqhIXmlXk

check you tube for your acer model..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_ui_TlAJw

grahamw48
28th April 2013, 18:53

DO THE ABOVE. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It doesn't matter that it is out of manufacturer's warranty.

The sale of goods act is about what you can reasonably expect from a product.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Further, the manufacturer has already acknowledged that the product is faulty, so they are on weak ground.

I would have said that your dispute actually lies with the retailer anyway, as they are the ones who actually sold you the product.

Another case for the Citizens Advice Bureau.

les_taxi
28th April 2013, 19:37
Yes I'm with Graham and I would argue you have not had a full 12 months out of it due to sending it back,I would tell retailer that you will name and shame on facebook:biggrin:

KeithD
28th April 2013, 19:41
It sounds like the monitor cable. This happened to me with my Dell and they just came out and replaced it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Constantly opening and closing the laptop eventually damages the cable. It will sometimes come on a bootup but as the system warms the cable expands a bit and breaks the circuit. The only fix is a new monitor usually. You could take it to a local computer store and have them fiddle with the cable to see if that works.

No idea why the Acer idiots would replace the HD or memory :crazy: ... nothing to do with the screen issue :Erm:

imagine
28th April 2013, 21:57
well if its as simple as the acer fix video on the reply of joe, then i dont think much of acer technicians , must be a set of numptys:NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
28th April 2013, 22:06
I agree with Joe and Win2 too,Working on hdmi rules out settings,video card,hdd and mb, ect.. so what you are left with is :- the ribbon cable to the screen..I was also thinking the inverter board but if that was blown then it wouldnt work at all and same for the back light, Check the ribbon is seated correctly and isnt snagged especially at the hindge. New cables between £10-£20ish..
Acers are hit and miss we had two of the same model one is stil going strong after 5 years and the other died within a couple of months.

joebloggs
28th April 2013, 22:13
well if its as simple as the acer fix video on the reply of joe, then i dont think much of acer technicians , must be a set of numptys:NoNo:

the inverter board is one of the easier parts to change, years ago i use to carry out compaq warranty repairs when i was compaq certified :Cuckoo:

joebloggs
28th April 2013, 22:17
.I was also thinking the inverter board but if that was blown then it wouldnt work at all and same for the back light,.

oh yes it could still work, its not the internal PSU, cheap Chinese surface mount soldering is probably the cause :NoNo:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 23:03
of course the last time you sent it to them they knew your warrenty was almost up, they delay a little , send it back to you knowing , you have not enough warrenty left to send again,

Exactly! That's why they didnt reply in my last email...very disappointing :(

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 23:06

yes but they haven't fixed the original fault :doh
it sounds like it could be backlight has gone (but you should still be able to see something but very feint) more likely the inverter board, possibly the video cable, but i don't think its a video controller fault as you say it works ok thru hdmi.

look at this, shine a torch on it, can you see your desktop ?

The video is really good. The problem is exactly the same as my laptop.
Thanks, joebloggs..I'll try if i can do this :smile:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 23:13
DO THE ABOVE. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It doesn't matter that it is out of manufacturer's warranty.

The sale of goods act is about what you can reasonably expect from a product.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Further, the manufacturer has already acknowledged that the product is faulty, so they are on weak ground.

I would have said that your dispute actually lies with the retailer anyway, as they are the ones who actually sold you the product.

Another case for the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Thanks, grahamw48, but they said when we last sent it to them that there's nothing wrong on it.

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 23:15
Yes I'm with Graham and I would argue you have not had a full 12 months out of it due to sending it back,I would tell retailer that you will name and shame on facebook:biggrin:

Josieyam65
28th April 2013, 23:22
It sounds like the monitor cable. This happened to me with my Dell and they just came out and replaced it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Constantly opening and closing the laptop eventually damages the cable. It will sometimes come on a bootup but as the system warms the cable expands a bit and breaks the circuit. The only fix is a new monitor usually. You could take it to a local computer store and have them fiddle with the cable to see if that works.

No idea why the Acer idiots would replace the HD or memory :crazy: ... nothing to do with the screen issue :Erm:

I really wondered why they replaced the hard drive and memory, even if i told them that the problem is the display :cwm25: I am not a computer technician, but i know that hard drive and memory has nothing to do with the display problem because the laptop itself is working okay :doh

Ako Si Jamie
15th August 2013, 22:26
I'm glad I've read this thread now. My Compaq laptop was bought new in 2006 so it's getting old and I've been thinking about buying a new one even though it's still going strong but I definitely won't be getting an Acer. :thumbsdown:

grahamw48
15th August 2013, 23:54
I bought my son a Toshiba Laptop a couple of years ago, and it seems to have been troublefree. :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
16th August 2013, 05:42
Pays to go with a better name I think unless you're buying a tin of mushy pea's. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
16th August 2013, 10:09
Refurbed ThinkPad you can throw them around, pour drinks on the keyboard etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVM6H4vwGPU