PDA

View Full Version : Missed flight

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 02:58
Hi all.. Me, hubby and our son was due to fly back to Manchester last Tuesday but due to Cebu pacific being delayed for over an hour we missed our flight with etihad. Can we claim for a refund with our travel insurance? By the way, we tried checking in on our travel insurance but it says no record matches on the details provided. Thanks.

johncar54
13th June 2013, 08:09
I believe if you booked the whole trip in one booking then you should be covered, However, if you booked the flights individually then probably not.

I know for example, with all but one insurance company, if I book from Malaga to London, then book London to MNL, then only the flight to London is covered. So if I miss the connection I cannot claim.

robbie bobby
13th June 2013, 10:43
I believe if you booked the whole trip in one booking then you should be covered, However, if you booked the flights individually then probably not.

I know for example, with all but one insurance company, if I book from Malaga to London, then book London to MNL, then only the flight to London is covered. So if I miss the connection I cannot claim.

That's not true.Yes you have a perfectly good claim and if you admit it to your insurance company I'm sure they will look at it.I don't know what insurance company you bought a policy with Johncar but if it was me I would not be buying from them again.

I've made lots of claims from lots of companies over the years and not once did they not pay out for a missed connection,doesnt matter if you book it together separate or whatever.Its an insurance policy and that's why u buy it.

johncar54
13th June 2013, 10:59
I have spoken to a number of insurance companies claims assessors offices and all were the same. (The agents I had spoken to previously thought erroneously that one would be covered)

The one company which I know does cover separate bookings made a variation to their rules when I explained that many of their customers lived in Spain and thus booked to UK and then on to another destination. That company now have a rule, that providing there is at least a three hour gap between the scheduled arrival and the booked departure, they will pay.

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 11:04
That's not true.Yes you have a perfectly good claim and if you admit it to your insurance company I'm sure they will look at it.I don't know what insurance company you bought a policy with Johncar but if it was me I would not be buying from them again.

I've made lots of claims from lots of companies over the years and not once did they not pay out for a missed connection,doesnt matter if you book it together seperate or whatever.Its an insurance policy and that's why u buy it.

The flight was due at 15:50 but didn't take off until 17:00. We should have been in Manila by that time. They never said it would be delayed until we were on the plane at about 16:10. If they had announced it earlier then we could have rang etihad and changed to a later flight. Etihad were a complete waste of time as well. All there staff were clueless.

The insurers haven't replied to my email and I'm worried why I can't log in with the details I was given when taking out the insurance.

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 11:12

So basically I should book another insurance for every flight? That's not right is it.

When bookin insurance it covers u from the dates you put, so it's the dates that your away.

It doesn't seem right that we have had to pay nearly 2k for other flights when I'd Cebu pacific had delivered we would have been there on time easily.

Dedworth
13th June 2013, 11:42
The insurers haven't replied to my email and I'm worried why I can't log in with the details I was given when taking out the insurance.

Sounds like a bit of a spurious insurance set up if you can't log in or get a reply to your email. Have you tried phoning them ?

As regards travel insurance I always feel its more economical and better peace of mind to have an annual worldwide family policy

johncar54
13th June 2013, 11:45
So basically I should book another insurance for every flight? That's not right is it.

If a passenger books flights separately, I sympathise with insurance companies, as they have no control over the gap between landing and take off.

Even if one booked a separate insurance for the second leg, and arrived late, then usually a passenger's late arrival for a flight is not an insured risk.

That would be the same as me booking a flight and arriving late for check-in not covered unless it is the result of public transport failure.

One needs to ensure (in writing if not clearly shown in the conditions) that the insurance company covers the risks you need.

johncar54
13th June 2013, 11:46
oops ! duplicated post

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 11:59
The insurers are debenhams which is part of insure and go. I'll be ringing them when I'm back in blighty. We found them on money super market.

Dedworth
13th June 2013, 12:11
The insurers are debenhams which is part of insure and go. I'll be ringing them when I'm back in blighty. We found them on money super market.

Ah I didn't realise you were still overseas. Here's the email for Debenhams CEO

michael.sharp@debenhams.com

Might be worth banging one off to him

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 12:27
Ah I didn't realise you were still overseas. Here's the email for Debenhams CEO

michael.sharp@debenhams.com

Might be worth banging one off to him

Thanks ill try it. I tried a different one before

johncar54
13th June 2013, 12:45
Bhem, I just tried to call Insure and Go to clarify what their policy would be on a claim in the circumstances you described. Unfortunately the operators were busy so I hung up after 20 mins.

However, I did see that one of the policies they offer is described as 'single trip' which I would assume would pot cover your situation.

Anyway good luck.

johncar54
13th June 2013, 12:57
Blem. I just spoke to the Customer Service Dept Insure and Gomm+44 (0)207 748 8593

They said if I booked say from Manchester to MNL then booked to Cebu, that if the connection was not met because of the late departure etc then one would not be covered.

I said but I would be making a single trip in effect as I was travelling from Manchester to the Island. They said not covered.

I hope you have a better answer than I had.

So Robbie Quote : That's not true.Yes you have a perfectly good claim and if you admit it to your insurance company I'm sure they will look at it.I don't know what insurance company you bought a policy with Johncar but if it was me I would not be buying from them again.

Seems what I said, probably was true.

SimonH
13th June 2013, 13:10
I think there's some confusion here. As far as I'm aware you should be covered on your insurance policy for missing your flight but I don't think they'll cover the full cost of a new flight.
If you had booked the whole trip through a travel agent it would be up to them to arrange to get you home at their expense, however I suspect as with most of us you booked the flights independently.
Is Johncar54 trying to say that if I missed my flight from heathrow due to the M4 being closed and all the alternative roads being grid locked then my travel insurance wouldn't cover me for a missed departure? What if I booked through an airline that offers a chauffeur service to the airport, does their responsibility start when they pick me up, what if their car breaks down?

Arthur Little
13th June 2013, 13:27
:omg: ... situations like this, are enough to make people think [at least] twice about travelling ANYWHERE by plane ... :anerikke: ... it's simply not worth all the nerve~wracking hastle. :NoNo:

However, for those with families in far distant nations (and that includes MOST of us) such a "philosophy" is rarely an option.

OK ... perhaps I'm living in cloud :Cuckoo: land in suggesting it OUGHT
to be incumbent upon :airline:s ... to offer alternative (free of surcharge) arrangements for the onward transmission of would-be passengers inconvenienced by missed flight connections.

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 13:28
Thanks for your replies. I will ring when back home and hope for the best but I'm not confident. May as well not bothered to take any insurance

raynaputi
13th June 2013, 13:28
Hi all.. Me, hubby and our son was due to fly back to Manchester last Tuesday but due to Cebu pacific being delayed for over an hour we missed our flight with etihad. Can we claim for a refund with our travel insurance? By the way, we tried checking in on our travel insurance but it says no record matches on the details provided. Thanks.

This is the reason why I stopped booking flights with Cebu Pacific ages ago..they are always late..I have never experienced them being on time honestly..:thumbsdown:

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 13:30
Basically through no fault of our own we have been shafted.

What a world we live in.

jake
13th June 2013, 13:45
Other members will be able to give you much better advice about insurance than i ever could.

Putting flights/insurance and money aside it is nice to hear your son will be going back to the UK with you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 13:50
This is the reason why I stopped booking flights with Cebu Pacific ages ago..they are always late..I have never experienced them being on time honestly..:thumbsdown:

Not going to fly with them again.. Will use PAL next time..

johncar54
13th June 2013, 14:01
Simon,
As I understand it. If you miss the flight because of a public transport failure (that would I guess include a taxi etc,) you are covered, but I did ask a long while ago and was told it did not cover my son breaking down, being delayed etc., when he was taking me to the airport in his car.

The only way to be sure (but not for missed check-ins as I described) when more than one leg is involved is to book all the flights in the same booking. That way the airlines are responsible.

Also as I said, one company I know do cover passengers flying from Spain to UK for transfers, providing there is at least 3 hours gap. But I did say, that was something which was included as a 'special' as I had pointed out the problem experienced by people living in Spain who often make two bookings, one to the UK and one to the final destination.

When taking out insurance one needs to read the conditions very carefully, but I know it's the last thing we do as we just think 'we must be covered.'

Off the main thread but I think relevant.

Years ago I used to let my apartment in Spain for holidays. I discovered by chance that if my apartment had become unusable, say by fire, and I could not find alternative accommodation, then the flight/holiday insurance did not cover that. The insurers all said it would be my responsibility to cover all the costs, including the flights and compensation, as I had contracted to provide the service. I tried very hard to find insurance to cover me but could not.

Arthur Little
13th June 2013, 14:02

:gp: ... let's hope they're more "PALLY" (friendly~disposed) - than the Company YOU used - towards being prepared to grant special dispensation to travellers who find themselves in your situation.

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 14:08
Other members will be able to give you much better advice about insurance than i ever could.

Putting flights/insurance and money aside it is nice to hear your son will be going back to the UK with you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah at least we are together. Will be careful next time. Will stay in Manila a day before our flight to make sure we won't miss it even if we don't like staying in Manila.

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 14:26
:gp: ... let's hope they're more "PALLY" (friendly~disposed) - than the Company YOU used - towards being prepared to grant special dispensation to travellers who find themselves in your situation.

Prob still the same, its just the principle now. We wouldn't know what to do if we didn't have that extra money.

andy222
13th June 2013, 17:07
Yeah at least we are together. Will be careful next time. Will stay in Manila a day before our flight to make sure we won't miss it even if we don't like staying in Manila.
That is what I do. Sorry to hear about your dilema.

Michael Parnham
13th June 2013, 18:39
Sorry to hear what happened, hope your insurance company can do something to at least compensate something for you. Good luck Bhem bhem!

bhem_bhem
13th June 2013, 19:17
Thnx andy and Michael. What a shame, suppose to be that money is for our next year's holiday. Hopefully that won't totally put off hubby from coming back here as he's had few unpleasant experiences here.

irishman12
13th June 2013, 19:32

have been flying Cebu pac for 8 yrs now -so approx. 20 flights already and only one was late ,any booking I have made with airphil express -there has been some problem with it ,there is no guarantee that any flight will be on time or even depart on the same day .

irishman12
13th June 2013, 19:37

even pal can be late -as the saying in phils pal =plane always late ,unfortunate to happen but as it is typhoon season -flights can easily be cancelled as you can see with what happened in Davao recently

SimonH
13th June 2013, 20:00
Simon,
As I understand it. If you miss the flight because of a public transport failure (that would I guess include a taxi etc,) you are covered, but I did ask a long while ago and was told it did not cover my son breaking down, being delayed etc., when he was taking me to the airport in his car.

Define public transport....... a mode of transport available to the public like a taxi, train, bus or plane maybe :Erm:

The only way to be sure (but not for missed check-ins as I described) when more than one leg is involved is to book all the flights in the same booking. That way the airlines are responsible.

Which is what I said about booking the whole journey through a travel agent :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also as I said, one company I know do cover passengers flying from Spain to UK for transfers, providing there is at least 3 hours gap. But I did say, that was something which was included as a 'special' as I had pointed out the problem experienced by people living in Spain who often make two bookings, one to the UK and one to the final destination.

When taking out insurance one needs to read the conditions very carefully, but I know it's the last thing we do as we just think 'we must be covered.'

Totally agree........always read the small print :ReadIt:

Off the main thread but I think relevant.

Years ago I used to let my apartment in Spain for holidays. I discovered by chance that if my apartment had become unusable, say by fire, and I could not find alternative accommodation, then the flight/holiday insurance did not cover that. The insurers all said it would be my responsibility to cover all the costs, including the flights and compensation, as I had contracted to provide the service. I tried very hard to find insurance to cover me but could not.

:Erm: Surely you would look at you household insurance to cover any expenses if something happened to your apartment.

Just a few thoughts, sorry if not formatted correctly.

raynaputi
13th June 2013, 20:28
even pal can be late -as the saying in phils pal =plane always late ,unfortunate to happen but as it is typhoon season -flights can easily be cancelled as you can see with what happened in Davao recently

Well I've flown using PAL, Zest Air, Cebu Pacific, and Airphil..the best of them is PAL and the worst is Cebu Pacific, for me at least..

johncar54
13th June 2013, 20:49
Simon: Surely you would look at you household insurance to cover any expenses if something happened to your apartment.

Sorry I did not want to take this off thread but was trying to show that one needs to understand what is and what is not covered by insurance. Expecting the best is not the answer.

In Simon you have missed the point. Repairing the fire damage in a studio apartment would of course be covered by the buildings/contents insurance but the cost of covering the expenses for maybe several families booked in the apartment, the air fares, the compensation for loss of their holidays would be serious money and that would not be covered.

robbie bobby
13th June 2013, 23:33
Basically through no fault of our own we have been shafted.

What a world we live in.

What to do is...Get a letter from Ceb Pac to confirm they landed late and forward that on to your insurance company with your old AND new flights you bought.

I have claimed loads of times because of late departures and although people say 3 hours,insurance companies will usually pay after 1h10mins as that's the minimum amount of time any European airline needs to give for connecting flights as I was lead to believe with my usual airline of choice.

Don't ask too many questions.Just get all your stuff together and put in a claim.

I have claimed 100s of 1000s of pesos in the last 5 years due to missing my connections mostly in the Phils.

They will usually pay for the new flight you had to pay for.Just recently my KLM flight had to divert to Moscow as someone had a heart attack and we arrived into Manila 1.30 late.they were 3 hours late when they left Moscow but managed to claw back 1,30 with a tailwind.

I had booked my ceb pac flight to CDO which I missed as had to pay for a new one with Airphils not just for me but also for my wife.I sent all my stuff in and they paid for my AND my wifes new flight,they paid for my refreshements and also the car hire for 2 days and 1 night hotel as I told them my lift could not pick me up so late.On top of that KLM gave me 20,000 miles as I was flying business class

As long as your insurance company is a decent one they will pay.

I know all about insurance companies and what I can claim.I worked for a big one for a while as a sales manager.

robbie bobby
13th June 2013, 23:39
Oh and BTW most insurance companies will not check up if its a claim for a few hundred quid not that theres much to check up when its the Phils anyhow.Its all about how you word your covering letter and put the claim together.Dont let them fob u off either,keep on the claim adjusters case week afer week and day after day.Thats the way to go.If you need any help just drop me a PM and il help u out with your claim

SimonH
14th June 2013, 06:34
Simon: Surely you would look at you household insurance to cover any expenses if something happened to your apartment.

Sorry I did not want to take this off thread but was trying to show that one needs to understand what is and what is not covered by insurance. Expecting the best is not the answer.

In Simon you have missed the point. Repairing the fire damage in a studio apartment would of course be covered by the buildings/contents insurance but the cost of covering the expenses for maybe several families booked in the apartment, the air fares, the compensation for loss of their holidays would be serious money and that would not be covered.

Not by your insurance, no. I f I booked a hotel in Spain and it burnt down I would claim on my insurance hot the hotels surely :Erm:

Back on topic, maybe you can answer my question about defining public transport, is a plane classed any differently to a bus or train as you said in your first post.

johncar54
14th June 2013, 06:57
Not by your insurance, no. I f I booked a hotel in Spain and it burnt down I would claim on my insurance hot the hotels surely :Erm

Back on topic, maybe you can answer my question about defining public transport, is a plane classed any differently to a bus or train as you said in your first post.

Simon, As you say, lets get "Back on topic " and forget this side track.

SimonH
14th June 2013, 08:01
Indeed, back on topic

You said:-
"Simon,
As I understand it. If you miss the flight because of a public transport failure (that would I guess include a taxi etc,) you are covered, but I did ask a long while ago and was told it did not cover my son breaking down, being delayed etc., when he was taking me to the airport in his car."

Is a plane public transport?????

johncar54
14th June 2013, 08:40
Simon, I suggest, you ask your insurance company, if you want an answer which is relevant to your circumstances.

DaveyWallis
14th June 2013, 12:42
I would think that this is down to the insurance policy that you took out. Check the small print.

Most people go for the cheaper options which have more exclusions, if so you may not be covered.

I suspect that the flights between Manila and the UK would be covered as they are on the same ticket - but not the Cebu Pacific flight.

The insurance company would argue that you didn't give yourself enough time at Manila, you should be there 2-3 hours prior to your flight departs so I suspect they would say that you should have allowed a greater time window and caught an earlier flight to Manila.

Fingers crossed for you.

bhem_bhem
19th June 2013, 10:09
Oh and BTW most insurance companies will not check up if its a claim for a few hundred quid not that theres much to check up when its the Phils anyhow.Its all about how you word your covering letter and put the claim together.Dont let them fob u off either,keep on the claim adjusters case week afer week and day after day.Thats the way to go.If you need any help just drop me a PM and il help u out with your claim

Hubby rang them, they said we are not covered.:mad:

Arthur Little
19th June 2013, 11:59
Hubby rang them, they said we are not covered. :mad:

:sorry-2: about that :icon_rolleyes: ... seems to be par for the course with Travel Insurers these days. :cwm23:

johncar54
19th June 2013, 12:28
:sorry-2: about that :icon_rolleyes: ... seems to be par for the course with Travel Insurers these days. :cwm23:

Arthur,
it was not an insured risk, that was why it was not paid. Not because of 'sharp practice'

Robbie, As long as your insurance company is a decent one they will pay.

Seems you were wrong Robbie.

Dedworth
19th June 2013, 12:34
Arthur,
it was not an insured risk, that was why it was not paid. Not because of 'sharp practice'

Robbie, As long as your insurance company is a decent one they will pay.

Seems you were wrong Robbie.

:iagree: The moral is to check what cover you are buying before committing to it, there are good and bad policies out there

johncar54
19th June 2013, 13:02
:iagree: The moral is to check what cover you are buying before committing to it, there are good and bad policies out there

Good advice,

But be aware that most, if not all policies, will not cover two sets of flights booked separately, even if they 'amount to one trip' in your travel,plans.

Example, LHR to MNL return, then a separate booking MNL to Cebu return.

bhem_bhem
19th June 2013, 13:05
Yeah,, u are right dedworth..

That's it, no holiday to phils next year says hubby.

SimonH
19th June 2013, 13:23
Personally I wouldn't give up so easily, get your policy out and read it thoroughly.
Is the policy available on-line? If so send a link to it or post it up and I'll get a broker friend of mine to have a look to see if they're trying to get out of their obligations.

bhem_bhem
19th June 2013, 13:31
Personally I wouldn't give up so easily, get your policy out and read it thoroughly.
Is the policy available on-line? If so send a link to it or post it up and I'll get a broker friend of mine to have a look to see if they're trying to get out of their obligations.

We can't get to it on line and they haven't send us the pack as well.

SimonH
19th June 2013, 13:55
We can't get to it on line and they haven't send us the pack as well.
Ring them and tell them you want a copy of the policy.

bhem_bhem
19th June 2013, 14:05
Ring them and tell them you want a copy of the policy.

They said they will send us the copy but all we received is a letter saying that they regret that the policy purchased does not include cover for missed departure claims.

SimonH
19th June 2013, 14:13
I'm not saying that I'm right and they're trying to wriggle out their responsibilities, nor am I trying to get anyone's hopes up. How did you purchase the policy, on line or by phone? Did they e-mail you back confirmation of the policy, if so check it. Make sure they policy they send you is the same as the one you took out.
Check, double check and then check again.

Arthur Little
19th June 2013, 14:20
Arthur,

John ... :icon_rolleyes: ... my response was based an experience I had, following a fortnight's trip to the Orient in 2005.

During one particular stopover ... while on a Yangtse River Cruise, I had the misfortune to mislay a video recorder - valued at over £300 - which had been a 60th birthday gift from my daughter and son-in-law 15 months earlier.

Looking back on this incident, I can only surmise the camera was stolen at the point where I'd laid it down to try on a patterned Chinese silk, kimono~style, dressing gown in a clothing store myself, and some of the other adventurous travellers in our party, had visited halfway up a steep mountainside, while en route back to our vessel.

Alas ... due to excitement :Jump: at my new purchase, I'd failed to notice the camera's absence until we were back on board - by which time, needless to say, it was too late :bigcry: ... because, in spite of the generous gesture of the ship's crew in making radio contact with local police - culminating in an extensive search of the retail premises - the item was nowhere to be found.

Once home, I immediately got in touch with my holiday insurers who, initially, at least, came up with all sorts of :lame: excuses [apparently] contained in the "small print" as a means of absolving themselves from liability for ANY kind of compensation.

Finally ... after months of wrangling and dogged perseverence on my part, I received a cheque amounting to less than two-thirds of the article's original worth. :doh

bhem_bhem
19th June 2013, 14:21
I'm not saying that I'm right and they're trying to wriggle out their responsibilities, nor am I trying to get anyone's hopes up. How did you purchase the policy, on line or by phone? Did they e-mail you back confirmation of the policy, if so check it. Make sure they policy they send you is the same as the one you took out.
Check, double check and then check again.

We purchased it on line. The only email we received from them is the confirmation of payment. They gave us the details on how to log in on their website and when we tried it, all it says is that the details we have given didn't match any of their records.

johncar54
19th June 2013, 14:33
This getting disjointed.
What happened in different circumstances is not relevant.

In this case: one cannot expect a one trip policy to cover two separate bookings.

Its a bit like having two cars. One insured and one not and then expecting to be able to make a claim on the one that is not insured on the other policy.

This is not a question of what is covered in a policy, as there was no policy for the booking in question.

It is that simple, let's not get confused with things that do not apply, the 'what if's'

SimonH
19th June 2013, 14:52
This getting disjointed.
What happened in different circumstances is not relevant.

In this case: one cannot expect a one trip policy to cover two separate bookings.

Its a bit like having two cars. One insured and one not and then expecting to be able to make a claim on the one that is not insured on the other policy.

This is not a question of what is covered in a policy, as there was no policy for the booking in question.

It is that simple, let's not get confused with things that do not apply, the 'what if's'

You're right this is getting disjointed.
As bhem_bhem has stated they do not have the policy, so how do you know what the policy states?
What is a one trip policy? It's nothing like having two cars one insured and one not. They went on a trip, or are you trying to say that they bought a policy specifically to cover one return flight to Manila.
For example

Claimant..........Hello I lost my camera on holiday
Ins Co.......... Where were you?
Claimant.............In Palawan
Ins Co................ Sorry you're not insured
Claimant........... Er pardon, why not?
Ins Co............. You told us you were going to Manila, so we're not paying :Wave:

Once again, read the policy and don't except what they say without double checking everything.

Trying to help not hinder here :smile:

johncar54
19th June 2013, 15:00
OK Guys,

I obviously cannot make this sufficiently 'Simple' for 'Simon' to understand.

SimonH
19th June 2013, 15:32
OK Guys,

I obviously cannot make this sufficiently 'Simple' for 'Simon' to understand.

If you're trying to rile me, then congratulations you've succeeded John.
As per your private message to me you've stated that you have spent many years in the legal profession so you do know what you're talking about.
I really don't know why you're so hell bent on saying it's a closed case and being disparaging to anyone that tries to help.
As you've spent so long in the legal profession you'll be well aware of the term 'libel' so before you make insinuations about people being 'Simple' I'd think about what you type.

johncar54
19th June 2013, 16:06
Originally Posted by johncar54
HI As I showed in a post, I called your company and they were very ready to chat and they explained clearly, as I had already believed, why you did not have a claim.

Message from Bhem:- Yeah,, best to be careful next time. I don't want to mention it to my hubby as I don't want him getting annoyed again. He has moved on now so ill just leave it.

Hi Bhem, glad to see you and your hubby have understood.