PDA

View Full Version : Power crisis fears unnerve industry in booming Philippines

jake
18th June 2013, 08:34
Things should improve once they have the proposed Nuclear power plant up and running in Bohol. Joke lang!

Reuters) - An electricity outage that blacked out large swathes of the Philippines' main island of Luzon for up to eight hours last month has highlighted worries about a potential power crisis that could undermine Asia's fastest-growing economy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/philippines-power-idUSL3N0EH0J420130617

The problem with the government is they have a habit of reacting rather than being proactive.
Would be nice to see the use of solar power but i think we are a long way off from that happening.

Just now it is peeing down with rain which will mean more floods in Manila. They know the solution but seem to be unwilling to react as it may upset the people who vote for them. :NoNo:

Terpe
18th June 2013, 09:33
This is one of the real key and fundamental issues that needs to be resolved.

Economic growth rates are just one factor in the development of a country.
Usually there should also be a accompanying growth in productive jobs and supporting infrastructure projects.

Who would have thought that Ethiopia would be currently experiencing an economic growth rate of 10%

.....Agriculture accounts for nearly half Ethiopia's output but heavy public spending on infrastructure spurred 8.5 percent growth in 2011-2012, making it one of Africa's fastest growing economies....

Source:-
http://news.yahoo.com/ethiopia-sees-10-pct-gdp-growth-2012-13-070651830.html

Not quite on-topic I know, but a news item recently that gave me quite a surprise. 10% growth rate, but still a developing economy looking to build solid bases.

jake
18th June 2013, 11:32
Who would have thought that Ethiopia would be currently experiencing an economic growth rate of 10%

Interesting article as most of their growth is due to the agriculture sector.

Potentially the Philippines could do the same but it seems the government has know strategic plans to create a solid agriculture industry.

jonnijon
18th June 2013, 23:51
Its crazy when you think of all that thermal energy beneath their feet. :doh