PDA

View Full Version : Out of date food

les_taxi
25th June 2013, 22:15
My ongoing experiment eating out of date food continues-today's challenge is 2 days out of date Sainsbury's prawn linguine !
Lets hope I'm here tomorrow,if I'm dead I wont be posting :-)

imagine
25th June 2013, 22:20
why :Erm:

grahamw48
25th June 2013, 22:29
That's about all I eat. :icon_lol:

imagine
25th June 2013, 23:07
theres sell by and use by , now theres a difference to out of date food

les_taxi
25th June 2013, 23:29
Because it's a load of bull,All you have to do is smell it,if it does not smell bad it's not (according to some food scientist) I believe it to be true.

imagine
25th June 2013, 23:42
Because it's a load of bull,All you have to do is smell it,if it does not smell bad it's not (according to some food scientist) I believe it to be true.

try that with chicken :icon_lol: the date stamps on most foods will be good for a few extra days, they have to date it earlier than it needs to be, and of course it depends if the food is kept in the conditions its supposed to be,either stored in a cool place or refrigerated

les_taxi
26th June 2013, 07:14
they have to date it earlier than it needs to be
Thats the bit I'm getting at :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The simple rule is if you unsure smell the food,if it doesn't smell off it's not
I tried it with prawns-which are probably as dangerous as chicken if off,I'm fine this morning :biggrin:

stevewool
26th June 2013, 07:20
try that with chicken:icon_lol: the date stamps on most foods will be good for a few extra days, they have to date it earlier than it needs to be, and of course it depends if the food is kept in the conditions its supposed to be,either stored in a cool place or refridgerated

so then Stewart how long can you keep a chicken in the fridge for

stevewool
26th June 2013, 07:21
Thats the bit I'm getting at :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The simple rule is if you unsure smell the food,if it doesn't smell off it's not
I tried it with prawns-which are probably as dangerous as chicken if off,I'm fine this morning:biggrin:
well you are still alive it seems :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
26th June 2013, 07:35
What's next... a fast food diet for a month :biggrin:

imagine
26th June 2013, 09:05
i dont take any risk at all with chicken, though probably more risk from handling it raw than there is after its cooked

i always buy frozen that way its cooked the day its taken out, or take out at night to defrost, cooked the next day , no longer

grahamw48
26th June 2013, 10:34

Wouldn't that be a bit cruel Steve ? :Erm:

Dedworth
26th June 2013, 10:35
The well out of date food can normally be found at restaurants employing illegal immigrants

Arthur Little
26th June 2013, 11:20
:grosyeux: ... just READING this thread, :icon_rolleyes: is enough to make someone like me - whose appetite is legendary - go on an immediate "crash diet"! :vomit-smiley-011:

Terpe
26th June 2013, 18:52
You sound just like my wife Les :icon_lol:

If it smells OK then it is.....

As others said there are a number of clues, Best Before dates, Display by dates and Use by dates.
My wife has used her 'nose' ever since we've been together and we're still here :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Personally, I put chicken at the top of my danger list followed closely by pork, and I do take care.
Often my wife has eaten out of date pork where I have not. But she's shaky on chicken.

For vegetables and salad stuff I completely ignore those dates.

Oh, with seafoods I'm also very careful. Can be much more dangerous than just out of some date.
Although I doubt a day or two would be any difference.

grahamw48
26th June 2013, 18:58
I buy nothing but frozen cooked chicken breast strips ( decent quality ones).

Easy to cook, no bones, no waste and no worries about freshness. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
26th June 2013, 18:59
My wife's the same Terpe - she always laughs at the fact that our eggs are dated

grahamw48
26th June 2013, 19:03
How else do you know when they're going to hatch ? :Erm:

Terpe
26th June 2013, 19:05
I buy nothing but frozen cooked chicken breast strips ( decent quality ones).

Easy to cook, no bones, no waste and no worries about freshness. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Don't know what you think Graham, but these days you can buy a 'fresh' chicken or chicken portions so cheap, freeze and cook yourself no problem.
The only time I'll buy cooked chicken is the rotiserie chicken from Costco :hubbahubba:

When I was a kid we only had chicken at Christmas.
I love chicken, especially chicken breast. My wife loves to chew on them bones. Wings, ribs and legs :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Works good for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th June 2013, 19:08
My wife's the same Terpe - she always laughs at the fact that our eggs are dated

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

My wife has told me NOT to throw any food out based on date. She'll be the one to decide :xxgrinning--00xx3:

And eggs, yep she still mocks that date stamping even now.

grahamw48
26th June 2013, 19:19
Don't know what you think Graham, but these days you can buy a 'fresh' chicken or chicken portions so cheap, freeze and cook yourself no problem.
The only time I'll buy cooked chicken is the rotiserie chicken from Costco :hubbahubba:

When I was a kid we only had chicken at Christmas.
I love chicken, especially chicken breast. My wife loves to chew on them bones. Wings, ribs and legs :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Works good for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I suppose to me it makes no sense buying something, half of which you're going to chuck out (bones, gristle and other yukky bits).

Also, I hate eating anything that looks like it might have been alive at some point.
- Should be a veggie really. :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
26th June 2013, 19:37
thats poo we eat out of date food all the time 'cuz its cheaper :biggrin:

Terpe
26th June 2013, 19:46
thats poo we eat out of date food all the time 'cuz its cheaper :biggrin:

I don't think any retailer is allowed to sell out of date food.
Often it may be reduced in price due to a short sell by date..... but not out of date.

raynaputi
26th June 2013, 19:53

That's what I thought the first time I saw the dated eggs! We used to have a sari-sari store in Manila and we sell eggs and I've never seen them have dates! :icon_lol:

Keith always tells me to throw away stuffs like bread, milk, etc. after 3 days. I'm not used to that. When I was in the Philippines, as long as I can't see a mold and it doesn't smell, it's still okay. I've never got sick! :biggrin: It's a waste for me throwing it just like that. Good thing though I can feed the bread to the birds. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I just do what Keith wants with his food now. But I don't want him get food poisoning like the last time he had at the RAF (he said around 30 of them got food poisoning because of under cooked chicken). :NoNo:

SimonH
26th June 2013, 20:50
thats poo we eat :biggrin:

:yikes::crazy::wink: