PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy Sterilized milk here in the UK

sars_notd_virus
1st July 2013, 14:22
..not seen it in any supermarkets:Erm:

thanks

SimonH
1st July 2013, 14:37
All milk is sterilized, never seen non sterilized milk for sale.

Sorry make that Pasteurized, be back in a minute with a proper answer. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SimonH
1st July 2013, 14:42
Sainsbury 90p per ltr

sars_notd_virus
1st July 2013, 14:52
Sainsbury 90p per ltr

thanks ...what brand ?? is it sainsburys own? is it by the milk , yogurts isle ??

Steve.r
1st July 2013, 15:13
Mari, all milk in the UK is sterilised or we call it Pasteurised. Or do you mean Condensed milk ?

SimonH
1st July 2013, 15:17
thanks ...what brand ?? is it sainsburys own? is it by the milk , yogurts isle ??

It's a long life milk, so I would imagine it would be by the cartoned soya milk etc

sars_notd_virus
1st July 2013, 16:10
Mari, all milk in the UK is sterilised or we call it Pasteurised. Or do you mean Condensed milk ?

No its not Steve...sterilized, pasteurized and condensed are all completely different.

The pasteurization is carried out for a prolonged time at around 170°F and is supposed to kill only heat susceptible organisms and their spores, while sterilization works at a temperature of 250°F and is supposed to kill all organisms.
and the Condensed milk i can only use it for cooking.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_pasteurization_and_sterilization

sars_notd_virus
1st July 2013, 16:12
It's a long life milk, so I would imagine it would be by the cartoned soya milk etc

thanks I'll have a look again.

malditako
1st July 2013, 17:22
there's one called "delamere dairy sterilized milk" its available in all supermarket. That's what i use. You can normally find it in a dry powder milk and uht milk shelves.

keith britten
2nd July 2013, 01:21
Any supermarket,I think the packaging is red in colour.

Steve.r
2nd July 2013, 03:10
Why the necessity for sterilised? just curious :Erm:

Terpe
2nd July 2013, 07:15
Sorry off-topic, but I do love condensed milk :hubbahubba:

Absolutely gorgeous stuff especially served up on fresh strawberries :Jump:

Steve.r
2nd July 2013, 08:01

Absolutely gorgeous stuff especially served up on fresh strawberries :Jump::xxgrinning--00xx3: +1

raynaputi
2nd July 2013, 12:27

That's what I do to Terpe! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Sometimes I add whip cream too. :hubbahubba:

alan_mac
2nd July 2013, 14:00
terlized milk (sold in tall bottles with a crimped cap) used to be pretty common but I haven't seen it for years.

UHT or Longlife milk has been sterlized.

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 14:26
Why the necessity for sterilised? just curious :Erm:

Its not ''a'' necessity ,...its ''my'' pleasure!!
..cant tolerate drinking any other milk but sterilized one's ..does that answers your curiosity Steve??

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 14:29
I found one in ASDA today ...very cheap 83pence ..so happy ,thanks for those who helped :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 14:34

a teaspoon of sugar will do for my strawberries:biggrin:

Terpe
2nd July 2013, 14:40
a teaspoon of sugar will do for my strawberries:biggrin:

I'm still unable to dissuade my wife from dipping the strawberries into salt :yikes:

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 14:42
I'm still unable to dissuade my wife from dipping the strawberries into salt :yikes:

Is she also dipping watermelon into salt ?? ....i like her very traditional pinay :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
2nd July 2013, 14:45
Is she also dipping watermelon into salt ?? ....i like her very traditional pinay :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think so, not sure.
Last night I finished up the strawberries (and the condensed milk) and my wife had pineapple. That pineapple got dipped into salt as well :icon_lol:

raynaputi
2nd July 2013, 15:05
I think so, not sure.
Last night I finished up the strawberries (and the condensed milk) and my wife had pineapple. That pineapple got dipped into salt as well :icon_lol:

That's how we eat pineapples back home :biggrin:

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 15:12
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
2nd July 2013, 15:35
Found this here: http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=43

I am still curious as to making a specific choice to have sterilised milk. In the Philippines I would imagine that that form is the norm, but if you read the bit I highlighted in bold, it says that it is not as healthy (as in less vitamins and helpful bacteria) as regular pasturised milk. Of course your choice Mari. :smile:

Sterilised milk
Sterilised milk is available in whole, semi skimmed and skimmed varieties. It goes through a more severe form of heat treatment, which destroys nearly all the bacteria in it.
Firstly the milk is pre-heated to around 50oC, then homogenised (see below for a brief outline of homogenisation), after which it is poured into glass bottles which are closed with an airtight seal.
There is no legally defined process for sterilising milk but, commonly, filled bottles are carried on a conveyor belt through a steam chamber where they are heated to a temperature of between 110-130ºC for approximately 10-30 minutes. Then they are cooled using a cold water tank, sprays or, in some cases, atmospheric air and then crated.
The sterilisation process results in a change of taste and colour and also slightly reduces the nutritional value of the milk, particularly the B group vitamins and vitamin C.
Unopened bottles or cartons of sterilised milk keep for approximately 6 months without the need for refrigeration. Once opened it must be treated as fresh milk and used within 5 days.

sars_notd_virus
2nd July 2013, 16:24
Found this here: http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=43

I am still curious as to making a specific choice to have sterilised milk. In the Philippines I would imagine that that form is the norm, but if you read the bit I highlighted in bold, it says that it is not as healthy (as in less vitamins and helpful bacteria) as regular pasturised milk. Of course your choice Mari. :smile:

I am not actually bothered by the health benefits etc Ive read them all in Google !! actually, its the only milk i can drink even when I was still in the PH so don't worry your pretty blue eyes about it, its just my preference , I love its taste and flavor that's it.:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
2nd July 2013, 18:14
Pasteurised Milk ... aka 'Thatcherised Milk' ... in other words:

"Past your eyes :Bolt: - before you've had the chance to notice :grosyeux: it!"

Arthur Little
2nd July 2013, 18:32
I do love condensed milk :hubbahubba:

:hubbahubba: ... so do I ! :ARsurrender:

:iagree:!

Arthur Little
2nd July 2013, 18:50
I DON'T drink milk on its own, though :nono-1-1: ... only use it on cereals or for Myrna making sauces &c. Oh ... :anerikke: ... and/or, occasionally, we'll add a spot to the likes of hot chocolate
or coffee (whenever we run out of 'whitener'!).

But NEITHER of us take milk in tea. :NoNo: