PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts

LadyJ
14th September 2007, 09:46
Anyone watched this programme last night on Channel 4 ?

It was directed by documentary filmmaker Nick Broomfield..GHOST is the dramatisation of the events in which a group of Chinese illegal immigrants were drowned, whilst fish for cockles off the South East coast (Morecambe Bay) in February 2004.

I was quite shocked after I watched this programme last night and I feel sorry for those chinese who were drowned. And they called it Ghosts means white westerners:icon_lol:

more info http://www.devon-cornwall-film.co.uk/2007/03/27/ghosts-in-the-machine/

hilda_danao
14th September 2007, 17:53
oi, nanood ka din pala. yup, i watched it also last night. it finished at 12mn. whew, i get up so late this morning. i feel so sorry for those chinese workers. wish they knew that the water will rise at night. my heart goes out to them. i felt so sad and teary-eyed. i realized how lucky i am to at least live a normal life here in UK. it also make me think that maybe some chinese people or other non-british i see in town are living that life.

joebloggs
15th September 2007, 06:41
Up to 570,000 illegal immigrants are living in the UK :yikes:, there has been talk for a while about Amnesty, if the gov did, they could raise an extra £1 billion in taxes, and save nearly £5billion by not deporting them. its all about money :cwm23: , the chinese who died were being exploited, the uk already has nearly 1 million 18-25yr olds who are not working.. and with the 100',000s for eastern europeans in the uk, this place is getting crowded :cwm3::Help1: which is crazy to me :Cuckoo:,

good old IND, what happened to securing the borders :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:, and the 570,000 is a gov estimate, the gov make us all suffer on this forum with the cost , time and anxiety of the visa process, while 570,000 illegal immigrants are in the uk, i knew i should have smuggled the wife in a suitcase :cwm24:

from http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article354784.ece

'We have been betrayed, cheated and robbed'

* "Charles", a nursing assistant from Brazil, came to Britain to visit his mother.

Once here, he paid £500 for fake Portuguese identity papers enabling him to work. He said: "These are made in London very quickly." He travelled to Leicester, bought a false national insurance certificate for £100, and signed up with an employment agency with arelaxed attitude to false paperwork. A gangmaster posing as a supervisor was given another £200 and Charles soon landed a job producing salad, fruit pies, fruit juice and jellies for high- street stores. He worked six days a week, getting up at 3.30am to catch the agency bus which took the "illegals" to work. He was paid £4.50 an hour.

He was picked up in an immigration raid. "Our supervisor had denounced us, and the agency washed its hands. We were locked in cells. We have been betrayed, cheated and robbed," he said. He has recently been deported.

* "Alfred" left his family behind in Nigeria five years ago. He arrived on a student visa but stayed on after it ran out.

Instead of studying for a degree, he took work involving cleaning up after undergraduates at a well-known London college.

Although Alfred and his fellow workers - many of whom were also in Britain illegally - were paid the minimum wage, they worked in appalling conditions and suffered routine verbal abuse.

His patience finally ran out and he started protesting about their treatment.

A friend of Alfred's said: "Everyone was being exploited, whether they were legal or not.

"When he started to make a fuss, he was told that if he didn't keep quiet he would be reported to immigration."

Alfred left the job soon afterwards and has since disappeared.

whats happening to this country :ARsurrender:

aromulus
15th September 2007, 08:26
whats happening to this country :ARsurrender:

Only a couple of things....

1 - The European Union

2 - A shower of %*&*s in Government.

After 34 years and 11 days in the UK I am starting to grow dissatisfied with the state of things.:cwm23:

During this time, but especially in the last 12 years, I was able to notice the gradual erosion of this, once great, Country borders. :doh

I fear for my kids chances to obtain any sort of job when they grow up.:NoNo:

joebloggs
15th September 2007, 10:25
just looks to me , its all about money,
570,000 illegal immigrants and letting them stay becuase the gov can tax them :icon_lol: and it will save alot of money from not having to deport them, their being expolited, on less than minimum pay, also i thought it was illegal to employ an illegal immigrant, with the possible punishment of a prison sentance for the employer :Erm:..

how the :censored: did they get here ? as students :D, and if they do give an amnesty, it will just encourage more to come here illegally.. hoping for another amnesty, most are in low paid jobs, i thought the eastern europeans were doing them jobs :Erm:... and what about the cost when they have the right to bring their wife/husband and kids to the uk ? and the cost of child benefit and tax credits ? .. maybe its me, or is the country and immigration run by :piss2::xxparty-smiley-050::NEW5::3:

it just makes a complete joke of the visa process, i haven't got a problem with anyone coming to the uk, as long as they go thru the same proccess as the rest of us... :xxgrinning--00xx3: