PDA

View Full Version : Tourist visa 6 months

Slip
17th August 2013, 17:16
we have been talking about what to do when we get married in Philippines next June/July....

We have decided on two options, the obvious one which is get married when I am out there for 6 weeks, then go home leaving her there but set the ball rolling on a spouse visa for her to come here ASAP.

Second one, is a 6 month tourist visa, not sure if it is allowed seeing we will be married? Can't see why not though. This way it will look better on the spouse visa application as we would have been living together for 6 months and they can see it's not a sham. Then obviously she goes home after 6 months and then hopefully will be back here ASAP.

Currently we are leaning toward the second option even though I will have to find the cost of flights again 6 months later...

While I'm here, another question. She is saying she cant come straight after we get married as she has to wait for her passport to be changed over to her newly married name.... Surely this cant be right as I know in this country people go on honeymoon straight after they marry without a problem.....

Terpe
18th August 2013, 10:25
Slip, if you're considering a 6 month visa for UK you'd probably best opt for a Family Visit.
It might be well worth checking with the UKBA just which visa would be most appropriate.
Those visit visa's are low cost but notoriously problematic for many reasons, not least because the decision is principally based on the discretion of the ECO.
Basically there is no appeal process.
Applicants need to clearly demonstrate that they do not intend to remain in the UK on a permanent basis. This might be tricky.

Anyway it's always worth trying. There's no risk of impacts on a subsequent Spouse Visa application regardless of how many visit visa's are applied for.

I fully understand the reasons why some folks want to have their passports updated to their new married name as early as possible, but I can assure you it's neither necessary nor mandatory in terms of travel.
Quite often it can even create unexpected issues.
Personally, I suggest leave that passport alone and only update it when in needs to be renewed. Passport renewal is easy here in UK via the Philippine Embassy. There's no separate process for name change only.

Slip
18th August 2013, 20:31
Thanks for the info Terpe.

Been trying to find out the cost of a family visit visa as I am trying to build a timeline from now upto and after the wedding with costs and stuff.

As for the passport, apparently it is due to run out at the end of the year so they wont let her travel without a new one.

jake
19th August 2013, 03:55
Plenty of good information on the forum about family visit visa's.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/family/requirements/

Renewing a Philippine passport is a very simple process and appointments can be booked online. If your girlfriend is not from manila she can apply at any of the regional consular offices.

http://passport.com.ph/info/requirements/for/renewal