PDA

View Full Version : Help with documentation for wedding in philipphines

moorebwb
24th August 2013, 10:33
Just a couple questions on top of what I asked before hand, does my birth certificate need to be certified?

Im sending my passport(photocopy) to manila british embassy for the purpose of getting my right to marry document, they requested to send a certified photocopy, I see the post office certify copies of documents. .would this be ok or do I need to do else where?

Thanks for any help in advance..

Terpe
24th August 2013, 13:14
.....does my birth certificate need to be certified?

If your original Birth Certificate is the same as everyone else, then it's already a 'true copy'.
If you want 'belt and braces' (and security to keep hold of your original certificate) then have a copy done and get it certified.

... Im sending my passport(photocopy) to manila british embassy for the purpose of getting my right to marry document, they requested to send a certified photocopy, I see the post office certify copies of documents. .would this be ok or do I need to do else where?

Some folks have sent a certified copy of the photo page, and others have just sent a photocopy. I've never known an application be refused on the basis of the validity of the sponsors passport copy. (that's not to suggest it never happens)
I'm pretty certain that UKBA can check via the passport numbering etc.
However, despite that, my personal position sits with having a certified copy. Minimise all risks

On the question of having certified copies here's a guide that might be helpful.
I've posted this before, but it's always worth repeating.

Certify a document as a true copy of the original by getting it signed and dated by a professional person, like a solicitor.

When you apply for something like a bank account or mortgage, you may be asked to provide documents that are certified as true copies of the original.

Copies of documents that can be certified include:
- passports
- photocard driving licences
- letters from a government department
- bank/building society or credit card statements
- gas, electricity or council tax bills
- letters from a hospital/doctor

Who can certify a document

To certify documents, ask a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’) like a:-
- bank or building society official
- councillor
- dentist
- police officer
- solicitor
- teacher or lecturer

The person you ask shouldn’t be:-
- related to you
- living at the same address
- in a relationship with you

Check with the organisation that needs the certified copy - they may have specific rules for who can certify a document.

How to certify a document

Take the photocopied document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:-
- writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document
- signing and dating it
- printing their name under the signature
- adding their occupation, address and telephone number

The person certifying the document may charge you a fee.

Source:-
Certifying a document (https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document)

If you can get it done easily at your post office, then that's fine.