PDA

View Full Version : Lap top, buy in uk or philippines

imagine
5th September 2013, 12:46
my lap top is showings signs of letting me down, so i am toying with the idea of buying a new one,

i thought if i buy in uk before i leave this will mean taking 2 lap tops with me,if i do this then i risk one in my suitcase,
so i was wondering if better to buy when im in manila,

are the prices similar to uk ? and are the keyboards set out the same ?

sars_notd_virus
5th September 2013, 14:20
If you are moving permanently in the Philippines , it is wise to buy it from there because of the warranty.(repair centers for ACER is in Taiwan)
yes, prices are the same and as far as I can remember the laptop that you can purchase in the Philippines is using American keyboards.

imagine
5th September 2013, 14:30
If you are moving permanently in the Philippines , it is wise to buy it from there because of the warranty.
yes, prices are the same.

lovejoy
5th September 2013, 16:25
In my opinion I would buy laptop here in the UK you can get cheaper here and decent brand..

raynaputi
5th September 2013, 16:39
If you are moving permanently in the Philippines , it is wise to buy it from there because of the warranty.(repair centers for ACER is in Taiwan)
yes, prices are the same and as far as I can remember the laptop that you can purchase in the Philippines is using American keyboards.

I can agree to this. Prices are pretty much the same. The only difference is the keyboard type. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
5th September 2013, 16:42
I can agree to this. Prices are pretty much the same. The only difference is the keyboard type. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes no Pound sign.. Only $$.

tiger31
5th September 2013, 17:11
I bought 2 second hand ones (notebooks ) for 50 quid each just took adapter with me they have been working for 3 years and still going strong. :smile: definitely cheaper in U.k but the prices are in freefall now because of the tablet boom .

imagine
11th September 2013, 14:30
well i decided and bought here , blue hp lap top , windows 8, 1tb hd, 8gb ram i3 processor,
but not touch screen, nice lap top,reduced by £100 down to £399.99, should do me fine:xxgrinning--00xx3: hope it dont get nicked out of my suitcase :cwm25::icon_lol:

Terpe
11th September 2013, 14:34
..... hope it dont get nicked out of my suitcase :cwm25::icon_lol:

Suitcase :yikes:
Why not carry-on ?

imagine
11th September 2013, 15:00
Suitcase :yikes:
Why not carry-on ?
i will be taking this old one too, i was undecided which one will be carry on and which to put in suitcase, from the point of view that my old one has been used for all my passwords and debit credit cards, and though they cant be seen, because of deleting, it always stays on hard drive, so it isn't safe should anyone want and have the means to find this info,
so this is why i think safer old lap top as carry on

BoholoX
11th September 2013, 16:40
I generally found electronics to be very expensive in the RP. After having my old Compaq stolen by a toe-rag in a burglary I bought a ASUS which I'm very happy with and is still fine for me even after 4 years (Win 7 HP). Although warranty is a valid point good luck it getting it fixed. My RP bought PS3 broke also and they wanted me to send it to HK for repair which would have cost more than the hard drive it needed that I fitted myself. Also my copy of Office 2007 is a 'for sale in the RP only' and although cheap wasn't entitled to the free upgrade to 2010 as advertised. Swings and roundabouts.

And I'm now sick of no pound sign and having to type 10.00GBP each time :Cuckoo:

imagine
11th September 2013, 16:47
I generally found electronics to be very expensive in the RP. After having my old Compaq stolen by a toe-rag in a burglary I bought a ASUS which I'm very happy with and is still fine for me even after 4 years (Win 7 HP). Although warranty is a valid point good luck it getting it fixed. My RP bought PS3 broke also and they wanted me to send it to HK for repair which would have cost more than the hard drive it needed that I fitted myself. Also my copy of Office 2007 is a 'for sale in the RP only' and although cheap wasn't entitled to the free upgrade to 2010 as advertised. Swings and roundabouts.

And I'm now sick of no pound sign and having to type 10.00GBP each time :Cuckoo:

this old lap top toshiba satellite is about 4 yrs old windows 7, iv been getting blue screen of death, and then difficult to restart after that happens, i dont have time to reset to factory settings, then see if its cured, i will do this in phil later, if it does't cure then it must be a hardwear fault, in which case i will not get repaired, so the new lap top is a just incase , just hope it doesnt jump out my suitcase on its way :icon_lol:

my other old sony lap top i destroyed its hard drive just 2 weeks ago before dumping it, though it worked perfectly well it wasn't to me worth taking with me

Dedworth
11th September 2013, 17:42

How do I deal with a keyboard with no pound sign?
If you have a foreign laptop, it might not have a pound sign by default. There are ways around that, however :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/9498203/How-do-I-deal-with-a-keyboard-with-no-pound-sign.html

You could also download KeyTweak

Ako Si Jamie
11th September 2013, 19:17
I would take the new laptop in your hand luggage Stewart for the sake of security and in case it gets bashed around.

raynaputi
11th September 2013, 21:41

Press Fn + NumLk (or F11)
Then press Alt + 156 (the numbers beside the letters JIO)
Just press Fn + NumLk again to go back to using the letters of the keyboard.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
11th September 2013, 21:53
I would take the new laptop in your hand luggage Stewart for the sake of security and in case it gets bashed around.

but is it not only carry on bag + 1 lap top, also total carry on weight includes lap top weight

Pete/London
11th September 2013, 22:39
I suppose it depends who you fly with but we just travelled with Singapore Airlines and no one checked the weight of our carry on bags, so I would be inclined to carry both lap tops on to the plane, don't like the idea of leaving items like that in the hold baggage.

My bag contained 2 tabs, 2 camera`s, 2 mobile phones plus all the chargers, a change of clothes as I always seem to make a mess eating on a plane plus a pile of junk my wife always manages to swing on to me. Plus our spending money as security at Heathrow made me take off my money pouch hidden under my shirt so they could examine it and check how much was in it. That was a first. Better off in the bag as it gets uncomfortable on a long flight.

Most airlines seem to be quite relaxed about carry on bags, some passengers seem to have nearly full sized backpacks put in the overhead lockers:yikes:

Ako Si Jamie
11th September 2013, 23:25
but is it not only carry on bag + 1 lap top, also total carry on weight includes lap top weightNot sure. Maybe it might be a good idea to leave the old one with your family and save all your essentials to a memory stick.

London_Manila
12th September 2013, 01:40
Electronics seem mega expensive in the Philippines to me

Electric cigarettes and E liquid / juice is double the price over there and seeing that all the products come from China i cant work that one out :Erm: