PDA

View Full Version : sari sari

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 13:14
how much does it cost to set up a sari sari store?

ervenescence
23rd September 2007, 13:24
Are you going to set up one? What type of sari sari? fruit and vege sari sari? or do you mean ukay ukay? lol

I haven't got a clue Tom, maybe some of our colleague here.

fred
23rd September 2007, 13:32
Fully stocked Sari Sari store?? IMO..PHP50,000...Perhaps a bit more. (not including a building or shack) If theres anything else I cant think of.. I`ll just keep editing.

kimmi
23rd September 2007, 13:35
hi tommi,

im sorry i got disconnected..as ive told u it depends on the location..or if she will have the place already or she will going to rent.

mine is built in front of our house..

empott
23rd September 2007, 13:56
Tom, sorry i got disconnected. Anyway, if u r building a small one, and u have the place for free, i think 50k is a good initial capital. You can just add supplies when its already earning.

kimmi
23rd September 2007, 14:00
i agree with u empott,thats what cost us when we have one since we have available place in front of our house..if its already earning u can use it again to buy another stocks..

fred
23rd September 2007, 15:07
You can just add supplies when its already earning.Yeah!! Ive heared that before!:xxsmilie_auslachen:

aromulus
23rd September 2007, 15:12
how much does it cost to set up a sari sari store?

Are you going into the "corner shop" business???

My ancestors, the Romans, used to build straight roads, as to avoid congestions at the corners...

times change, huh...?

As I mentioned before to someone else...
If you want to make a small fortune in Phil, you need to go there and start with a large one....:doh

Good luck... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 15:27
haha!
thank you everyone for your responses, wow, i go away to talk to my uyab for 90 mins and already lots of help! :D wonderful

yep, mar is starting a lil business selling charcoal to the townsfolk ... but more permanently we do plan to set up a sari sari store ... and also . . . a cafe . . . to be honest, im not in it for profits . . . (i'll make the actual money here lol) but i don't think i can be a 27 year old retiree in the philippines for too long (that's in 2 years, im 25 now :))

thanks for your help everyone seriously . . .

ok . . .

here's another question . . .

how much money to actually put up a shack to house the sari sari store?

thanks
tom

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 15:28
the dream is to have

-a small cafe, with a few computers . . .
-a sari-sari store

all housed in a little shack :)

tom

aromulus
23rd September 2007, 15:34
the dream is to have

-a small cafe, with a few computers . . .
-a sari-sari store

all housed in a little shack :)

tom

With 5 k GBP, you will have loads of change, I reckon.

I am at the moment looking at a 3 beds house, 2 baths, garden, going for 11k. Just outside Talisay.

fred
23rd September 2007, 15:35
Are you going into the "corner shop" business???

My ancestors, the Romans, used to build straight roads, as to avoid congestions at the corners...

times change, huh...?

As I mentioned before to someone else...
If you want to make a small fortune in Phil, you need to go there and start with a large one....:doh

Good luck... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes indeed..A lot of truth in the statement above..
Although I hasten to add..There are exceptions..
You just need to know where they are...

fred
23rd September 2007, 15:38
here's another question . . .

how much money to actually put up a shack to house the sari sari store?

Yep!! I agree with aromulus (http://filipinaroses.com/member.php?u=493) once again..You can build a very adaquate shack for PHP5,000 and indeed have change.

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 15:39
ahhhh ok

i have been reliably advised that to build a 5 bedroom house in bayawan city. . . 3k would be more than enough, and we're going for that "native" look :)

then we also want to have our wee cafe with a sari sari store and a tiny internet cafe place, and i also want to use that spot to teach english to the poorer folks :)

it'll just be like a community place --
about generating income ... all that will come from rental income and some "meagre" savings (by UK standards) :)

tom

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 15:40
Fred
Dom said £5,000 GBP
but are u saying actually 5000 peso?
im confused!

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 15:41
oh and when i said a budget of £3k to build the 5bdrm house, it was in sterling i was talking about :D

fred
23rd September 2007, 15:58
A £5000 shack? Are you sure?..Now I`m confused!!

fred
23rd September 2007, 16:01
Ohh..OK he did say £5.000!! I missed that..Oops..
Well I say that I can build an adequate shack for PHP5,000.

fred
23rd September 2007, 16:04
£3k to build the 5bdrm house

Show me the plan..I`d like to see it.

baboyako
23rd September 2007, 16:08
the first time I went to Davao. I was offered a shack + land for 150quid.

I'm sure prices have gone up - so maybe 180quid now :icon_lol:

so 100quid for land (5m x 5m plot) and 50quid for the shack (30quid materials - 20quid labor) sounds about right.

fred
23rd September 2007, 16:10

so 100quid for land (5m x 5m plot) and 50quid for the shack (30quid materials - 20quid labor) sounds about right.

There you go!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
(mind you..My quote did not include land..he he)

aromulus
23rd September 2007, 16:12

The original quote for the Olimpics was about right too....:doh

bigtombowski
23rd September 2007, 16:41
wow!

so . . .

if im gonna have a small cafe with a sari sari store on the side,
if i bring a couple of £grand
it shoud be sufficient right?

:D

t

empott
23rd September 2007, 18:19
£3k to build the 5bdrm house

:yikes: There's no way that u can build a 5bdrm house for just 3k! Well, maybe u can... for the beams. :D

aromulus
23rd September 2007, 18:32
:yikes: There's no way that u can build a 5bdrm house for just 3k! Well, maybe u can... for the beams. :D

Yes, well... give or take a couple of hundred quid, we would have managed to get at least a 3 bedrooms house, built.
Only that the owner of the land, realizing that a "foreigner" was buying the plot, doubled the price...:doh
I had 5k allocated, but I wasn't going to give in to the little tw:censored:t. So he lost business.

empott
23rd September 2007, 18:48
Filipinos tend to take advantage sometimes when they are doing business with foreigners. They double the price! :NoNo: Have ur wife do the transactions instead, Aromulus. They know that she knows the right price and she can haggle too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
23rd September 2007, 19:03
Filipinos tend to take advantage sometimes when they are doing business with foreigners. They double the price! :NoNo: Have ur wife do the transactions instead, Aromulus. They know that she knows the right price and she can haggle too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

She did try that... but the guy knew that she was married to a "whitey".
Anyway, we are looking from afar at something, already built, in a nicer area, only 11k.

Shifty-Sidney
23rd September 2007, 19:17
Tom, it depends where you go and who you are dealing with. there are so many `foreigners` now that the locals are getting wise. I have many dealings with Cebu and Manila and the prices are cheaper, but be cautious - the legal side can be a nightmare. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

purplealien
23rd September 2007, 19:32
We got our Nipa Hut in Leyte for 60 quid, its even got a verandah out front :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Sounds like an exciting project Tom ! Let us know how it goes.

kimmi
24th September 2007, 00:15
hi Tom,

when we built our sari sari shop last June,we have a vacant lot in front of our house so we dont need to rent or pay something for the place..

sorry but im not good in sizes, i can't tell u how big it is or what's its size in square meter or diameter but I can say enough for a regular sari sari shop..

I only have around 30thousand pesos cash in hand,for building materials,labor and stocks..but as the times goes by since its already earning and I am adjusted already on how it works I used the earnings to buy another stocks for it..

I'll tell u something Tommi,if ure putting up a sari-sari shop since its very common here in the Philippines u'd better not get or all ur daily needs there.. I mean if u need something let's say a shampoo or one piece of candy u also have to pay eventhough ure the owner..and dont get the earnings right away,ud better use it again to buy another stock..well in every business u cant see right away its earning..right?

Goodluck..:)

fred
24th September 2007, 02:56
Well..I`d listen to Kimmi as she actually runs a store..
Watch the centavos and the Peso`s will look after themselves!!
A sari sari stores success depends on three things IMO..The first is location..The busier,the better.
The second is are you prepared to sit there from 6am to 10pm every day? Thirdly,make sure you have a complete variety of stock..A one stop shop..
Do all that and who knows..You could even take as much as PHP10,000 a month!!
Seems like a lot of hassle for making peanuts to me..

joebloggs
24th September 2007, 07:23
about £100 a month :yikes: for like a 100+ hour week :yikes:
:NoNo:
scouser keith can earn that in 1 night :action-smiley-081:

oh......... :xxparty-smiley-004:

i'm thinking what can i do in the philippines, teach english ? get a job in a uni teaching IT or ? must be something i can do :rolleyes:

gingxrick
24th September 2007, 07:37
Hi big tom, I have a friend in Cebu who has a little business to earn him some income, He bought 3 jeepneys and hires then out at 500 peso's per day tells me it working a treat makes him 10,500 peso's each week

aromulus
24th September 2007, 07:46
i'm thinking what can i do in the philippines, teach english ? get a job in a uni teaching IT or ? must be something i can do :rolleyes:

Beachcombing...???:D

fred
24th September 2007, 09:09
Hi big tom, I have a friend in Cebu who has a little business to earn him some income, He bought 3 jeepneys and hires then out at 500 peso's per day tells me it working a treat makes him 10,500 peso's each week

Really? So the driver doesn`t get a day off? These jeeps are maintenance free? The tyres never wear out?The driver never has a prang? No need for registration costs? Insurance costs? Thats 10,500 a week then!!

One of our relatives had a brand new jeep.
2 years ago the brakes went and they were going down hill..2 killed inc driver ..Others badly injured..
In Filipino terms she was considered a wealthy woman..
That one accident ruined them financially.

joebloggs
24th September 2007, 10:46
Beachcombing...???:D

comb the beach for what thou :Erm:

maybe i could be hired by the military as a 'sitting duck' :cwm24: so when Abu Sayyaf’s try to kidnap me, i get saved :xxgrinning--00xx3: oh ... :cwm24: maybe not :cwm24:, low success rate :ARsurrender:

yes sounds like the overheads on the jeepneys would be big, like fred said, if they are on the roads 12 hours or so a day, the poor thnigs will not last, not on the roads in the phils :doh

looks like i would have to sit at home all day, under my palm tree, drinking chilled orange juice, while i send the wife out to work, i know who would want to sit at home all day bored :cwm24:, hoping my wife could earn maybe 40-50k php a month,, and buy me moms house ,rent it out, get me sis to look after it , and after tax, and her cut , get maybe £300 a month out of it ?

LEAHnew
24th September 2007, 12:32
Hi Tom,
Sari-sari store is a good idea to start a business, but if you add cafe i think it's a lil bit harder to manage and maintain..ahmmm how about change it to Purified Distilled Water, about pricing i dont know yet:doh, but in a sari-sari store 50k php is a good start if that's located infront of the house like kimmi said.
Goodluck Tom:xxgrinning--00xx3:

kentish
24th September 2007, 13:54

Yes you can build 5 or 6 bedroom even under 3k sterling but it would be a nipa hut. By the way the grass they use for roofing is now hard to find as its all killed by pesticides, am still looking for it as I need it for my hut.

bigtombowski
24th September 2007, 20:26
and yep, it's a nipa hut we were thinking of before :) but i was informed, it's not exactly a "hut" if it's got 5 bedrooms hehehe! lol

see
http://filipinaroses.com/showpost.php?p=29060&postcount=1

lol

baboyako
24th September 2007, 20:41
it does seem a lot of hassle. if you take 10thou per month, then profits (i.e you salary) is likely to be 1thou.

Think about it. The staff in SM get 8thou/month - if running a hut was more profitable then they'd be doing that.

we all know :NoNo: there is only one way to make a small fortune in the fil :icon_lol:

bigtombowski
24th September 2007, 20:43
si, im not really worried about profits, if it any where near breaks even i'd be chuffed :) it's for something to do :)
and a nice way to spend one#s time :D

andypaul
24th September 2007, 22:32
is it wise to start up a Internet cafe in phill when the mobile phone comapines are all pushing 3g either for the pc or mobile?

aromulus
24th September 2007, 22:50
is it wise to start up a Internet cafe in phill when the mobile phone comapines are all pushing 3g either for the pc or mobile?

Not only that, but the start up costs for a cafe, from scratch, can be rather daunting and prohibitive.:NoNo:

Apart from Microsoft, in conjuction with the NBI, getting tough with unlawfully downloaded OS...
I believe that there are several licences to be obtained, and if you are in a hurry.... Well ... brown envelopes do come to mind.... Lots of them....:NoNo:

There are no special prices or discounts for legit OS...
The software , say, for 10 start up pc's might cost 6/700 quid.. The hardware a little more...
Average charge @ 30 PHP an hour....
I don't think you will make a profit, with that, for a long, long time.:doh

I wish you the best of luck, mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigtombowski
24th September 2007, 23:22
all the abbreviations need to be explained please :)
thanks

kimmi
24th September 2007, 23:47
I'll try to help with the abbreviation tommi..

OS -Office Software (not sure..well I guess Rom will better explain it to u..he he he)
NBI - National Bureau of Investigation(responsible in handling and investigating cases here in the Phils.)
php - philippine peso (our philippine currency)

hope it helps..:)

charlwill
24th September 2007, 23:50
I'll try to help with the abbreviation tommi..

OS -Office Software (not sure..well I guess Rom will better explain it to u..he he he)
NBI - National Bureau of Investigation(responsible in handling and investigating cases here in the Phils.)
php - philippine peso (our philippine currency)

hope it helps..:)

OS ---> Operating System

kimmi
24th September 2007, 23:58
thanks Char for the help..now I know it.:)

bigtombowski
25th September 2007, 00:48
hehe

TLA - three letter abbreviation