PDA

View Full Version : annulment question

bigmac
29th September 2013, 19:39
hi guys,

my lady is staying with me on a visit visa. she has now got her divorce decree absolute.

she has been advised by a fili friend here in the UK that she can lodge the decree (along with her passport and a fee --?--) with the philipine embassy here in the UK--and they will be the ones to forward a copy to the NSO in the filis--and an annulment is straightforward.

any comments?

Terpe
29th September 2013, 19:49
Sounds about right.
It's "Report of Divorce"

It's only acceptable and legally recognised if she was the Respondent and the foreign spouse was the Petitioner.

raynaputi
29th September 2013, 19:53
They won't recognise it (she can try to but I'm pretty certain it won't be accepted) if she's the petitioner, a Filipina. She has to get annulment.

This is what's stated in the Philippine Embassy's website.

3. Report of Divorce

A Filipino citizen whose marriage has been dissolved through divorce has to file a Report of Divorce at the Philippine Embassy in London. Following are the requirements:

A. Original Divorce Decree Absolute
B. Processing fee of GBP18.00

Note: Divorce will only be recognized under Philippine law if the petitioner of the divorce is the foreign spouse.

philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/civil-registry (http://philembassy-uk.org/consular-matters/civil-registry)

bigmac
29th September 2013, 20:03
thanks guys--it sounded too good to be true

joebloggs
29th September 2013, 21:11
any chance of you applying for a unmarried partner visa ?

mickcant
30th September 2013, 06:39
You could legally marry here in the UK with it, I think:ReadIt:
Mick.:smile:

bigmac
30th September 2013, 09:05
the unmarried partner visa comes with a 2 year incubation period--and probably means i would have to live over there with her for that time. its a possibilty--but not ideal

Terpe
1st October 2013, 16:22
thanks guys--it sounded too good to be true

So I guess from your above response she is petitioner then ??

bigmac
1st October 2013, 20:06
So I guess from your above response she is petitioner then ??

yes--5 year separation

decree absolute. obtained here in the UK

now--its my turn !!