PDA

View Full Version : Bbc news

stevewool
10th November 2013, 21:13
this is the first time in all the years i have been involved with the Phils that the headline news was about the Philippines,
Just makes it more closer to home if you understand what i am trying to say

joebloggs
10th November 2013, 21:22
maybe but I've seen many news stories about the phils on the beeb, usually about natural disasters or bad news stories. eg conflict with china, the botched rescue on the bus, the paedophiles caught using the virtual girl sweetie

Terpe
10th November 2013, 21:24
this is the first time in all the years i have been involved with the Phils that the headline news was about the Philippines,

My wife has noticed so many people approach her about what has happened.
To be honest they're completely shocked. Most have almost never heard of the Philippines.
Most have stated they want to make donations.

I hope the high level of exposure by the BBC and the many interviews with well known relief organisation will result in a positive response.

My other hope is that BBC will not drop it completely in a couple of days......but lets see.
I have my doubts.

Some of the most beautiful areas of the Philippines have been utterly destroyed.
It'll take a long long time to allow people to retrieve anything of the life they once knew.

joebloggs
10th November 2013, 21:35
upto 10,000 dead Peter :NoNo:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/world/10000-feared-dead-in-super-typhoon-Haiyan-in-Philippines/shdaily.shtml

steve monty
10th November 2013, 21:56
My wife has noticed so many people approach her about what has happened.
To be honest they're completely shocked. Most have almost never heard of the Philippines.
Most have stated they want to make donations.

I hope the high level of exposure by the BBC and the many interviews with well known relief organisation will result in a positive response.

My other hope is that BBC will not drop it completely in a couple of days......but lets see.
I have my doubts.

Some of the most beautiful areas of the Philippines have been utterly destroyed.
It'll take a long long time to allow people to retrieve anything of the life they once knew.

The same, my wife had her residents asking if her family were alright in the Philippines, Madel has family in southern Leyte. They were very shocked about the devastation there shown on the TV.

joebloggs
10th November 2013, 21:59
on Friday my 6 yr old mentioned that his teacher had talked about it :cwm24:

stevewool
10th November 2013, 22:04
, work colleges have been asking about Ems family too, they too are shocked at what they have seen

Terpe
10th November 2013, 22:14
upto 10,000 dead Peter :NoNo:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/world/10000-feared-dead-in-super-typhoon-Haiyan-in-Philippines/shdaily.shtml

I know that Joe :bigcry:
I'm glued to the news whenever I'm at home.

That's an estimate for Tacloban City only.
Looking at the video clips I suspect it'll be a huge loss of life.
Mostly from the coastal storm surges which were beyond any understanding, even to extreme weather experts.

I said in a previous thread......some of the most beautiful islands have been completely destroyed. The destruction is likely much more widespread than anyone can imagine and those islands will probably never recover. Wherever you look in the track of this storm there's nothing left at all.

I admit to being so badly affected. I'm just helpless.

I just hope all those international relief organisations can react fast.

I'm glad the BBC and other media have made a big focus on this and especially a human aspect.
We need many millions of people to become heartbroken about the massive scale of the human disaster and donate what they can to the relief effort.

My hope is that corruption does not lead to the results and organisational impotence we witnessed in Haiti

Michael Parnham
10th November 2013, 22:23

The last big thing that was covered by the BBC in Philippines was the time Marcos was in power! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
10th November 2013, 22:28
I'm glad the BBC and other media have made a big focus on this and especially a human aspect.
We need many millions of people to become heartbroken about the massive scale of the human disaster and donate what they can to the relief effort.

My hope is that corruption does not lead to the results and organisational impotence we witnessed in Haiti

that is where i am having difficulty, where do you send any money and to what organization, and making sure it gets where it is needed

Terpe
10th November 2013, 22:44
that is where i am having difficulty, where do you send any money and to what organization, and making sure it gets where it is needed

Please consider these Steve:-

Red Cross
The Philippine Red Cross
AmeriCares
World Vision
UNICEF

If you want more take a look a this thread:-

Victims of Typhoon Yolanda need your help.... (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/49656-Victims-of-Typhoon-Yolanda-need-your-help)

Be sure your extended family will have funds to recover their lives

gWaPito
10th November 2013, 22:48
The last big thing that was covered by the BBC in Philippines was the time Marcos was in power! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I remember that, Michael....I wonder if you also remember the time the 'Beatles' were thrown out the country?

The BBC couldn't ingnore this event...going by all the reporting, this is looking like going down on par with one of those biblical catastrophes.

gWaPito
10th November 2013, 22:53
Be sure your extended family will have funds to recover their lives

A valid point Peter.

stevewool
10th November 2013, 22:55
thank you Peter , The Philippine Red Cross,

bigmarco
10th November 2013, 23:18
It's quite simple to donate to Philippines Red Cross they accept card or paypal
http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

As others have said I hope the BBC and others keep this story going for a while to generate as much help as possible for the relief effort.

stevie c
10th November 2013, 23:30
Me & florsel would like to make a donation to the philippines red cross but where & how do we do this?
This is just so heartbreaking to watch & listen to :bigcry:

Michael Parnham
11th November 2013, 13:23
I remember that, Michael....I wonder if you also remember the time the 'Beatles' were thrown out the country?

The BBC couldn't ingnore this event...going by all the reporting, this is looking like going down on par with one of those biblical catastrophes.

You know Mark, the Philippines seems to have more catastrophes induced by nature than any other country, it's just not publicised as it should be. In the short time I lived in the Philippines there was always a catastrophe somewhere and I experienced three, Floods, earthquake and typhoon.:cwm25:

Dedworth
11th November 2013, 13:38
It's quite simple to donate to Philippines Red Cross they accept card or paypal
http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

As others have said I hope the BBC and others keep this story going for a while to generate as much help as possible for the relief effort.

That sounds a better option Marco than some of these Brit Charities eg Oxfam, British Red Cross where you are paying a large proportion towards the osbcene salaries of Chief Executives and these "chuggers" who accost you on the High St

Incidentally the "Disasters Emergency Committee" still haven't done anything http://www.dec.org.uk/member-charities
i

Pete/London
11th November 2013, 13:53
I think 10,000 dead is very optimistic, sadly I think it will run into the 100s of thousands when they reach all the areas.
Terribly sad for all the people and I hope governments help out with boots on the ground as I am not fond of charities. I cant remember them doing much in Haiti with the charity donations.

Dedworth
11th November 2013, 14:18
I think 10,000 dead is very optimistic, sadly I think it will run into the 100s of thousands when they reach all the areas.
Terribly sad for all the people and I hope governments help out with boots on the ground as I am not fond of charities. I cant remember them doing much in Haiti with the charity donations.

Last time there were some floods in Pakistan or other rogue state by now the RAF would have already flown out untold food and medical supplies

gWaPito
11th November 2013, 22:43
You know Mark, the Philippines seems to have more catastrophes induced by nature than any other country, it's just not publicised as it should be. In the short time I lived in the Philippines there was always a catastrophe somewhere and I experienced three, Floods, earthquake and typhoon.:cwm25:

Would make peeps think twice about shipping out from the UK fulltime...or at least think long and hard where they're going to pitch up camp.

Good post Michael

Michael Parnham
11th November 2013, 23:04
Would make peeps think twice about shipping out from the UK fulltime...or at least think long and hard where they're going to pitch up camp.

Good post Michael

Also bear in mind, due to Global warming it will not get better Mark!:NoNo:

Slip
11th November 2013, 23:32
I have had texts and people asking about my fiance. Thankfully she is in Singapore right now.

Bloke at work hasn't been able to contact his wife in Philippines since the typhoon hit... I am praying she is ok.

London_Manila
12th November 2013, 03:54

Good post Michael

Tacloban and Ormoc are towns where i thought before i could retire
I think after these latest events i would prefer somewhere on the western side of the country
Inland away from the sea and somewhere up high
Remember the Ormoc floods from 5 November 1991 = 5000 people were killed in that one

Leyte is such a nice island but its had more than its fair share of disasters