KeithD
3rd December 2013, 20:03
You may look 106, but we all know you are young at heart :biggrin:

stevewool
3rd December 2013, 21:07
old as you feel they say

Michael Parnham
3rd December 2013, 21:28
Well Graham, I certainly don't feel old, you're just a spring chicken yet! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
3rd December 2013, 22:08
“ Age is just a number “ ... and you certainly won’t be alone – 8% of the world’s population ; almost a fifth of the UK population ; and 4% of the Philippines population are 65 and over.

Average life expectancy ( at birth ) is now at least 78 for men and 82 for women ( UK ) ; 69 and 74 in Philippines. It does vary markedly within both countries.

For Kensington and Chelsea it’s 85 and 89 ; compare that to Glasgow ( 72 and 78 ). The UK fares rather less well than other countries ( like Spain, Italy, Australia and Sweden ) for HEALTHY life expectancy – 69 for men and 80 for women.

UK life expectancy at 65 is around 84 for men and 86 for women. Ill health in the last years of life ( heart disease, cancers, chronic lung disease ) is often linked to avoidable risk factors - like obesity, high blood pressure and smoking. Depression, dementia, and loneliness affect a significant minority of older people. 2/3 of NHS usage is by over 65’s but they receive only 2/5 of expenditure. Almost half of hospital admissions are aged 65+. At least 4/5 deaths in the UK are in the over 65’s - in fact any death under 65 is classed as “ premature “. Despite that, over half of people over 65 are “ fairly satisfied “ with their health :smile:.

Of course these are only statistics ! No one can accurately predict life expectancy for individuals.

For the substantial numbers of “ old codgers “ or “ elderly “ individuals, age discrimination IS seen as a problem by many. We’re “ low priority “ to politicians ; our skills and talents are often unappreciated ; and travel insurance policies may have an upper age limit.

The chances, at 65, of living enjoyable and healthy lives for the next 19 years ( “ average “ man ) or 21 years ( “ average “ woman ) are better if our “ lifestyle choices “ are good :-

• exercise, diet, alcohol, drugs, smoking ); plus

• a POSITIVE attitude and hobbies ;

• Supportive partners, relatives and friends ;

• all influenced by factors such as where we live and our genetic make up.

I don’t care what I’m called at 65+ :biggrin: ! I’ve seen enough of life through my work and leisure to appreciate every single day, with plenty to look forward to in 2014 and beyond :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Good health to all members, whatever age you are :smile:.

http://www.geohive.com/earth/population_age_2.aspx

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/Later_Life_UK_factsheet.pdf?dtrk=true

gWaPito
3rd December 2013, 22:45
Thanks Alan. An enjoyable read :xxgrinning--00xx3:. You're right of course, our birth age is just a number when you consider how one has looked after one's self over the years. We are just like cars..if you don't get it serviced eventually the wheels will fall off

grahamw48
3rd December 2013, 23:59
Thanks Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now, about those risk factors. :cwm3:

Michael Parnham
4th December 2013, 18:09
“ Age is just a number “ ... and you certainly won’t be alone – 8% of the world’s population ; almost a fifth of the UK population ; and 4% of the Philippines population are 65 and over.

Average life expectancy ( at birth ) is now at least 78 for men and 82 for women ( UK ) ; 69 and 74 in Philippines. It does vary markedly within both countries.

For Kensington and Chelsea it’s 85 and 89 ; compare that to Glasgow ( 72 and 78 ). The UK fares rather less well than other countries ( like Spain, Italy, Australia and Sweden ) for HEALTHY life expectancy – 69 for men and 80 for women.

UK life expectancy at 65 is around 84 for men and 86 for women. Ill health in the last years of life ( heart disease, cancers, chronic lung disease ) is often linked to avoidable risk factors - like obesity, high blood pressure and smoking. Depression, dementia, and loneliness affect a significant minority of older people. 2/3 of NHS usage is by over 65’s but they receive only 2/5 of expenditure. Almost half of hospital admissions are aged 65+. At least 4/5 deaths in the UK are in the over 65’s - in fact any death under 65 is classed as “ premature “. Despite that, over half of people over 65 are “ fairly satisfied “ with their health :smile:.

Of course these are only statistics ! No one can accurately predict life expectancy for individuals.

For the substantial numbers of “ old codgers “ or “ elderly “ individuals, age discrimination IS seen as a problem by many. We’re “ low priority “ to politicians ; our skills and talents are often unappreciated ; and travel insurance policies may have an upper age limit.

The chances, at 65, of living enjoyable and healthy lives for the next 19 years ( “ average “ man ) or 21 years ( “ average “ woman ) are better if our “ lifestyle choices “ are good :-

• exercise, diet, alcohol, drugs, smoking ); plus

• a POSITIVE attitude and hobbies ;

• Supportive partners, relatives and friends ;

• all influenced by factors such as where we live and our genetic make up.

I don’t care what I’m called at 65+ :biggrin: ! I’ve seen enough of life through my work and leisure to appreciate every single day, with plenty to look forward to in 2014 and beyond :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Good health to all members, whatever age you are :smile:.

http://www.geohive.com/earth/population_age_2.aspx

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/Later_Life_UK_factsheet.pdf?dtrk=true

Nice to read something more positive about ourselves Alan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
4th December 2013, 18:22
Well Graham, I certainly don't feel old, you're just a spring chicken yet! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Haha. Thanks Michael. I feel better already. :biggrin:

imagine
5th December 2013, 14:19
your as old as the woman you feel, :biggrin: well thats the saying