PDA

View Full Version : Me=idiot--I fell for this.

bigmac
3rd January 2014, 17:26
last month i realised my passport had expired--i hadnt used it for 2 years--so--i thought i'd see if i could renew it online.

the first site i found was not available--so i went to the next one--

https://www.passport-uk.co.uk/Default.aspx

i must have been drunk--i went through it all--paid the fee online--then when i got to the end--and read the small print---i found i had paid to use a checking service. i tried to cancel--but got an email back referring to the terms and conditions.

anyone else been caught ?

Dedworth
3rd January 2014, 17:36
I think it might have been on BBC Watchdog a similar outfit in Cardiff doing the same scam - they went down there and tried to doorstep the cowboys running it.

Can you get payment reversed by your card company ?

bigmac
3rd January 2014, 18:04
Can you get payment reversed by your card company ?

i went in branch the following day--but after several phone calls i was told there was no fraud so couldnt be reversed. i just had to write it off to experience.

what really annoyed me was the official site was unavailable--couldnt load for some reason.

Dedworth
3rd January 2014, 18:49
Jeez - expensive experience.

You'd think the authorities would be able to stop this as the scrotes are blatantly passing it off as an official site

Ako Si Jamie
3rd January 2014, 19:51
I've just clicked on the HMPO website link at the top of the page and this was written.

HM Passport Office warns customers against charges by rogue companies

Her Majesty's Passport Office is advising customers to avoid copycat websites and save themselves money by coming to the agency directly.

Dedworth
3rd January 2014, 19:56
I've just clicked on the HMPO website link at the top of the page and this was written.

HM Passport Office warns customers against charges by rogue companies

Her Majesty's Passport Office is advising customers to avoid copycat websites and save themselves money by coming to the agency directly.

Empty words action to shut them down is needed - like BigMac said the poxy HMPO site was unavailable

bigmac
7th January 2014, 16:25
thanks guys-- i really did think it was all my fault--but once i had started filling it out page by page i never even considered it was anything but the genuine passport application site.

i did get a type-filled application form back from them---but nothing i couldnt do myself.

i just hope this experience helps someone else avoid the ripoff.

RickyR
8th January 2014, 14:41
Terrible, it clearly is misdescription.

SimonH
8th January 2014, 14:52
Distance Selling Regs :Erm:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

Might be worth a look at

Dedworth
12th January 2014, 22:57
This article mentions the passport scam website and the germ who runs it

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2537716/You-stop-Brazen-copycat-website-ignores-advert-ruling.html

bigmac
13th January 2014, 12:26
yes--i fell for it--but--in my defence--i didnt read the small print on the bottom of first page---i clicked on the link to enter the site--and from there on in there was no indication i wasnt in the passport website--several pages of it.

it was only when i had finished entering my personal details--old passport number etc--and payment details !!!--that the final page small print reveals the site is merely a checking service.

i felt sick.

bigmac
22nd January 2014, 17:03
follow up on this--today i went to my local post office to use the check and send service for my passport renewal. i told the clerk about the scam.

her superviser overheard--took over and said she had recently had to deal with a very distraught man who had fallen for the same scam--but he didnt realise it !!!--he thought he had paid online for his passport!!

she then said she wanted to contact the passport dept to report it---and asked for my phone number in case she could help me with the possible recovery of my money .

anyway--a few mins ago--she did ring-----to say ANOTHER customer--in the post office---was getting photos done---had overheard my conversation-----and SHE TOO had fallen for the same con!!

even on my bank statement--the payment was to

PASSPORT-UK.CO.UK

and the only paperwork from this scam--is the correct passport office application form duly typed in----the govt passport application guidelines--and NOTHING to say who had supplied it---even the return envelope was to the passport service.

so--to anyone reading this----

DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY ONLINE FOR A PASSPORT--IT IS A CON

Dedworth
22nd January 2014, 17:20
Shysters :mad:

bigmac
31st January 2014, 23:32
just thought i'd mention--i got my new passport today--8 days from using the check and send service.

i was quoted 3 weeks !!

Terpe
31st January 2014, 23:47
just thought i'd mention--i got my new passport today--8 days from using the check and send service.

i was quoted 3 weeks !!

Glad to learn that you got it :xxgrinning--00xx3: