PDA

View Full Version : Scotland exchange rate

Trefor
9th January 2014, 16:54
So there we were changing some Pounds to Pesos at a money changer at ResortWorld near the airport Manila. UK Pounds 71.xx, nice. I then noticed Scotland on the list with a rate of 60 :cwm25: After completing the transaction I asked the cashier why Scotland was listed as it uses the same currency - UK Pounds, had they made a mistake? She said there was no mistake, they have a problem getting a good rate for Scottish bank notes :yikes:

Made me laugh. Good luck with that independence :Wave:

lilbasuk
9th January 2014, 20:19
So there we were changing some Pounds to Pesos at a money changer at ResortWorld near the airport Manila. UK Pounds 71.xx, nice. I then noticed Scotland on the list with a rate of 60 :cwm25: After completing the transaction I asked the cashier why Scotland was listed as it uses the same currency - UK Pounds, had they made a mistake? She said there was no mistake, they have a problem getting a good rate for Scottish bank notes :yikes:

Made me laugh. Good luck with that independence :Wave:

hahah! thats bad really should be the same rate, mind you every time my gran sends me down a scottish £20 for my birthday i get some funny looks when im spending it in england so im not suprised.

SimonH
10th January 2014, 07:18
A shop keeper in England doesn't legally have to accept a Scottish bank note as being unfamiliar with the note it's hard to spot forgeries, so I can imagine it being even worse with money changers in Manila.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/12/can-i-spend-scottish-money-england

Longweekend
10th January 2014, 10:34
Buy them cheap, bring them home and get face value for them....:biggrin:

Trefor
10th January 2014, 12:45
Buy them cheap, bring them home and get face value for them....:biggrin:

Good point, I didn't think of that at the time. I'll ask if I'm there again!